*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
It really depends on the gym, the one I loved going to in my last town was almost pure weights,no cardio. Only one guy ever tried it, and 3 huge polish blokes walked up to him picked up his stuff and threw it across the room to the dumbells and small bars. Saying " curl there, squat and shrug here".

Last time he came to the gym

God help them Lie, I don't even know people in my last gym that slammed it down when shrugging 180-200kg.

I just can't comprehend how people act that like.
It's even worse when you see the guys wear the belt while on the chest press machine, arching their backs something fierce. Hell I've seen a guy on the crosstrainer with his belt on...

this is what broscience and magazines like mens health tell people to do in order to get jacked.

like the guy on the cross trainer probably gets back pains, so he uses it 24/7, i know someone like that, who doesn't even lift, yet wears a belt all day long and goes to the gym and just does cardio. i mean wearing a belt whilst sitting on a couch watching tv.

the worst thing is people who have zero knowledge and people who just join the gym for 3 months every year then give up. also doesn't help if the gym is employing people with zero knowledge too and they dont do anything to stop the idiots.

that's why i have a home gym (i know that isnt feasible for everyone).

Soldato
Ah I'd love a home gym.

The thing is, as tiny and useless as my little hotel gym is, the guy working there is a Mr.Ireland bodybuilder. They have his trophies, photos and medals all over the place. Yet management never wants to listen to him.

They want to spend 8 grand on an ab crunch machine, instead of 550 for a 1000bls rated power rack and 7foot olympic bar.

They say no one there would want it, yet people go there look around ask about the weights, then leave and go join a gym in the next town because they don't have proper equipment.

It's sad, hell even the trainers said they've no problem if I brought in my own olympic bar. But management is afraid some random client will swing it around like a bat and break something.

I'd give the guy a medal if he can manage it with a 7foot olympic bar, seriously.

I hate managers that know absolutely nothing and pretend like they know what's best.

A bloody €8000 ab crunch machine.....ffs.

Soldato
Okay, so I do a bit of cardio after my weights workout, mostly HIIT stuff. When I run however my calfs tend to cramp up after about 3 minutes, this only happens on the treadmill I am fine on bike/cross trainer. Any ideas? I keep well hydrated and stretch out before/after.

Soldato
Well do you do leg exercises as part of your work out? How long have you been doing it for? Could just be that your calves are fatigued after squatting for instance, and this is why they're cramping. Might just take time to condition yourself to it.

Soldato
It's so when they 'rack it' with an almighty bang, people will notice how awesome they are pumpin the gunz.

They also have to wear a belt because the load is too intense on their non existent core.

Haha. Reminds me of this baby dwarf with the attitude of a big dwarf that was repping MONSTROUS 24kg dumbells of the incline bench on Monday. He squeezed out 3 reps before failing and then proceeded to try and throw the weights halfway across the gym rather than putting it down. All for the attention. I was training shoulders next to him with 42kg dumbells for the shoulder presses. I threw my bench on incline and smashed out 15 reps and said to my buddy 'I wonder when weaklings are going to start lifting real weights instead of children's weights' and pointed to the 24's. Baby Dwarf just looked away, refusing eye contact. He didn't drop any more weights as he left after that.

Ok ok, maybe I came across as a bit of a **** but this idiot was soooo freaking annoying and attention seeking. It seems like the only good time to train is around 5am as most weirdos and scum is still in a slumber.

Soldato
It really depends on the gym, the one I loved going to in my last town was almost pure weights,no cardio. Only one guy ever tried it, and 3 huge polish blokes walked up to him picked up his stuff and threw it across the room to the dumbells and small bars. Saying " curl there, squat and shrug here".

Last time he came to the gym

That's fantastic, no sugarcoating, just get it done.

If you did that at my gym you'd need at least 3 polish blokes as the little bicep bumboys would probably try and square up to your face for doign that.

At the gym around 830pm again on Monday and it was rammed again with weights all over the floor. But the squat rack and leg machines were free so instead I made a **** load of noise and nailed out my best leg workout yet.

90kg on squat in the next 2 weeks, aiming for the magic 100kg during the summer time!

Associate
Since I've cut out eating, Sweets, crisps, chocolate etc I've lost 5lb so far :D

And as I can't afford to go to the gym I'm using the equipment that I've got at home which is an old exercise bike and some weights (Bench as well).

And just wondering what I could do to lose a bit more weight within about 5 weeks, I'm currently at 12st, about 5ft8 and 17 (18 next month)

Will upload a couple of images shortly

Edit: Oh and I did have some Whey protein used once and its been thrown away by my parents :mad:

Man of Honour
Here's a question for everyone is there a point in a smith machine with no stops? We've got one in the gym and I hate it but it's either that or the hack squat machine for squats and I don't get on with it.
I did ask about getting a cage or even just a squat rack but got the "there's a smith machine, a hammer strength style deadlift machine(which I only ever see people using for shrugs) and a hack squat machine what do you need that for" reply ditch the useless smith machine replace it with a cage that will actually have safety catches and it will be much more useful all round :rolleyes:

Caporegime
OP
Haha. Reminds me of this baby dwarf with the attitude of a big dwarf that was repping MONSTROUS 24kg dumbells of the incline bench on Monday. He squeezed out 3 reps before failing and then proceeded to try and throw the weights halfway across the gym rather than putting it down. All for the attention. I was training shoulders next to him with 42kg dumbells for the shoulder presses. I threw my bench on incline and smashed out 15 reps and said to my buddy 'I wonder when weaklings are going to start lifting real weights instead of children's weights' and pointed to the 24's. Baby Dwarf just looked away, refusing eye contact. He didn't drop any more weights as he left after that.

Ok ok, maybe I came across as a bit of a **** but this idiot was soooo freaking annoying and attention seeking. It seems like the only good time to train is around 5am as most weirdos and scum is still in a slumber.

Did you actually really do that?

Soldato
Well do you do leg exercises as part of your work out? How long have you been doing it for? Could just be that your calves are fatigued after squatting for instance, and this is why they're cramping. Might just take time to condition yourself to it.

It happens any time, not just after leg work outs, I am trying to condition them but it just doesn't seem to be happening. It never used to happen, I just haven't ran for about a year, however I was doing cardio on bikes and such.

I've been trying to run say once a week for about 2 months I think.

dod

dod

Soldato
Did you actually really do that?

I actually had something similar done to me a couple of nights ago, even though I keep myself to myself and certainly don't dump weights all over the place.

Nothing overly aggressive, just comments about lifting "real" weight from a trio of 20 somethings lifting about 30 kilo more than I was. Not particularly nice but my day will come :)

Man of Honour
It happens any time, not just after leg work outs, I am trying to condition them but it just doesn't seem to be happening. It never used to happen, I just haven't ran for about a year, however I was doing cardio on bikes and such.

I've been trying to run say once a week for about 2 months I think.

There's a possibility you may have compartment syndrome in your lower legs, I get exactly the same sort of feeling I've happily got the fitness to run a few miles but my calves are on fire after 500m.
I find big leg work outs that get my calves pumped up completely remove the pain, I'd imagine due to stretching the fascia around the muscle.

Caporegime
OP
I actually had something similar done to me a couple of nights ago, even though I keep myself to myself and certainly don't dump weights all over the place.

Nothing overly aggressive, just comments about lifting "real" weight from a trio of 20 somethings lifting about 30 kilo more than I was. Not particularly nice but my day will come :)

Muppets :(

Soldato
There's a possibility you may have compartment syndrome in your lower legs, I get exactly the same sort of feeling I've happily got the fitness to run a few miles but my calves are on fire after 500m.
I find big leg work outs that get my calves pumped up completely remove the pain, I'd imagine due to stretching the fascia around the muscle.

How would I find out if I actually had that?

Caporegime
Ah I'd love a home gym.

The thing is, as tiny and useless as my little hotel gym is, the guy working there is a Mr.Ireland bodybuilder. They have his trophies, photos and medals all over the place. Yet management never wants to listen to him.

They want to spend 8 grand on an ab crunch machine, instead of 550 for a 1000bls rated power rack and 7foot olympic bar.

They say no one there would want it, yet people go there look around ask about the weights, then leave and go join a gym in the next town because they don't have proper equipment.

It's sad, hell even the trainers said they've no problem if I brought in my own olympic bar. But management is afraid some random client will swing it around like a bat and break something.

I'd give the guy a medal if he can manage it with a 7foot olympic bar, seriously.

I hate managers that know absolutely nothing and pretend like they know what's best.

A bloody €8000 ab crunch machine.....ffs.

this is the problem in the UK especially, people who own gyms have zero knowledge on weights, its all cardio orientated. they would rather have 1000 cardio machines than a decent weights area. thats the way i see it. the only ones who cater for all are virgin active (my local one is HUGE and it has everything you could dream of, apart from a power rack, they have smiths)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom