*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I make a fair bit of breathing noise with my 24's, does that mean im hated? If so sorry. I'll move down to the 12s that i can lift silently to not annoy anyone.

You should've heard me when I attempted the 50's on flat dumbbell presses last week. Sounded like I was slowly being entered by an elephant. There's nothing wrong with breathing hard out of pure exertion but screaming out in an effort of pure attention is stupid and childish. It's easy to tell when it's real work and it's easy to tell when it's show.

Soldato
Anyway, moving on. Why is it that some days you struggle to push weights that other days you'd normal kill? Just came back from a legs sesh and it was balls. Couldn't push crap on the leg presses, squats was a mission and I almost gave up on hacks as I felt so weak. I felt strong, healthy and energetic when I went in back I was just pure weak from the moment I touched the weights. Maybe I need to look into this Jack3D everyone is on about.

Soldato
Anyway, moving on. Why is it that some days you struggle to push weights that other days you'd normal kill? Just came back from a legs sesh and it was balls. Couldn't push crap on the leg presses, squats was a mission and I almost gave up on hacks as I felt so weak. I felt strong, healthy and energetic when I went in back I was just pure weak from the moment I touched the weights. Maybe I need to look into this Jack3D everyone is on about.

It happens. I find each week I'll have one work out which is great, one which is exactly as expected and one which is crap.

Soldato
It's simply down to your body not having healed 100%.

When I train for powerlifting I do 1 heavy week, then one week at 60-65% of my max 1rm.

That way I can train explosive power on my "light" week and still give my body the time it need to fully heal.

I'd say another reason I hurt my back was because I had 6 weeks of nonstop heavy volume at 75-90% of my maxes without a single light week or real break.( Including putting out 2 new 1rm maxes)

I still hate that one 25kg plate for wrecking me for the next month.

Permabanned
Did my back and shoulders today, need to warm up more next time, middle of my back kept feeling like it was being pulled apart.

I also count my reps to myself, I cant seem to do it in my head.

Soldato
It's simply down to your body not having healed 100%.

When I train for powerlifting I do 1 heavy week, then one week at 60-65% of my max 1rm.

That way I can train explosive power on my "light" week and still give my body the time it need to fully heal.

I'd say another reason I hurt my back was because I had 6 weeks of nonstop heavy volume at 75-90% of my maxes without a single light week or real break.( Including putting out 2 new 1rm maxes)

I still hate that one 25kg plate for wrecking me for the next month.

Hmm. Maybe. I train hard and heavy all the time and really don't know any other way to train. For me it'll almost be a waste going in there and lifting half the weights that I usually do. I just don't feel that I'll get a good workout from that.

Soldato
Give it a shot for about a month, then try for some new 1rm maxes. You might be surprised.

So for arguments sake, if I regulary bench 120kg for reps, try maxing out at 70kg for a few weeks as light training? What do I do for reps? I can practically blow 70kg up with my breath. High or low reps?

Soldato
So for arguments sake, if I regulary bench 120kg for reps, try maxing out at 70kg for a few weeks as light training? What do I do for reps? I can practically blow 70kg up with my breath. High or low reps?

No no, 1 week heavy, 1 week light. For the light week you can do high reps, focussing fulling on explosive power after pausing at the bottom of your bench for at least 3-5 seconds.
Then repeat, 1 week heavy, the next week light.

After a month do a new 1rm, to get a new max, then you have a new "light" one. This way you keep upping your maxing and heavy lifting without running the risk on going heavy too long and not healing properly.

Usually when folks go heavy for too long they run into a week where they suddenly can't make reps on weights they use to be able to do easily.

Freefaller is currently doing a system, where he started really low and is weekly upping the max weight for sets.

Soldato
Back day today.

deads
10x60
5x80
5x100
5x120
5x130
5x140PB

Rows

5x5 @60

chins

3x10

Nice protien shake after with chips and sausage for tea, hope your proud morba lol.

Associate
No lifting for me today :(. I'm shattered from all the exams and I've got the comp on sunday so I was going to go in, do my usual warm up, a bit of glute work and some back work (both to aid injuries) and then call it a day and head off home. Nope, when I was at work today I closed a window on my finger and gave myself a nasty cut, it's about an inch long and fairly deep, right on the crease of the last joint on the underside of my right index finger. It has swollen up a treat so I can't grip anything and I also left a trail of blood across my school. I didn't know my finger could bleed that much :). Hopefully by sunday it'll just be a case of grinning and bearing it rather than me screaming and crying while doing my deadlift :p

Permabanned
I need to get some whey protein, eating is hard, literally, got sick of boiled eats, turkey, tuna, peanut butter, cottage cheese, chicken, mackerel.

Would whey protein be classed as natural?

Soldato
It's hard to fullfill your diet with only real food.

I still have 2-3 protein shakes a day depending on the workout.

Good on you for sticking to the diet but I'm not one to go cold turkey on all treats, that's just demoralising and will probably make you feel worse. The odd bit of cheat food here and there is great for the mind!

Soldato
I need to get some whey protein, eating is hard, literally, got sick of boiled eats, turkey, tuna, peanut butter, cottage cheese, chicken, mackerel.

Would whey protein be classed as natural?

notsureifsrs.jpg

It's just a by-product of cheese manufacture. Just use it when you need to up your daily protein to whatever level your aiming for, it's a supplement not a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom