*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Haha. Reminds me of this baby dwarf with the attitude of a big dwarf that was repping MONSTROUS 24kg dumbells of the incline bench on Monday. He squeezed out 3 reps before failing and then proceeded to try and throw the weights halfway across the gym rather than putting it down. All for the attention. I was training shoulders next to him with 42kg dumbells for the shoulder presses. I threw my bench on incline and smashed out 15 reps and said to my buddy 'I wonder when weaklings are going to start lifting real weights instead of children's weights' and pointed to the 24's. Baby Dwarf just looked away, refusing eye contact. He didn't drop any more weights as he left after that.

I actually had something similar done to me a couple of nights ago, even though I keep myself to myself and certainly don't dump weights all over the place.

Nothing overly aggressive, just comments about lifting "real" weight from a trio of 20 somethings lifting about 30 kilo more than I was. Not particularly nice but my day will come :)

It just goes to show how **** some people's attitudes are, after all I bet you didn't start smashing out reps at 40kg. Everyone's got to start somewhere. The same with the guys lifting 'real weights'. Last year what were they lifting? The same as you then they've got nothing to say, the same as now then their development isn't going very well!

And for the record I've just started some determined weight training at the age of 31. I'm not weak but I'm not exactly strong either and I'm doing what I can at home with some dumbells and pushups, etc. Will get a bench when I've moved house and have a bit more room. I wouldn't go to the gym until I've doubled what I'm doing now because of precicely these people.

Last edited:
Soldato
It just goes to show how **** some people's attitudes are, after all I bet you didn't start smashing out reps at 40kg. Everyone's got to start somewhere. The same with the guys lifting 'real weights'. Last year what were they lifting? The same as you then they've got nothing to say, the same as now then their development isn't going very well!

Thats not the point, he was annoyed about them throwing the weights around (A lot of dumbbells have been broken in my gym this way). Personally I wouldnt have said anything although a sarcastic "Mate we can all see you're lifting heavy /trollface" would have been the best approach.

Soldato
Thats not the point, he was annoyed about them throwing the weights around (A lot of dumbbells have been broken in my gym this way). Personally I wouldnt have said anything although a sarcastic "Mate we can all see you're lifting heavy /trollface" would have been the best approach.

Fair enough, the guy was being a penis but it was more the weights comment I was taking issue with. Not saying that Regulus does that sort of thing regularly.

Soldato
this is the problem in the UK especially, people who own gyms have zero knowledge on weights, its all cardio orientated. they would rather have 1000 cardio machines than a decent weights area. thats the way i see it. the only ones who cater for all are virgin active (my local one is HUGE and it has everything you could dream of, apart from a power rack, they have smiths)

It's a small hotel gym. Their target market is not heavy weights users.

The problem is Morba it's the only gym in town with a leg press, olympic bar, olympic plates, and a smiths.

All the others only have machines and dumbbells. The hotel has loads of room and customers and trainers want and need more. Yet that one manager is full of crap.
According to the people working their they've had about 40 people ask about weight equipment and memberships, then leaving and not joining because two missing things. A rack and a 7foot bar.

If only the trainers could make decisions on what to buy.

Soldato

And for the record I've just started some determined weight training at the age of 31. I'm not weak but I'm not exactly strong either and I'm doing what I can at home with some dumbells and pushups, etc. Will get a bench when I've moved house and have a bit more room. I wouldn't go to the gym until I've doubled what I'm doing now because of precicely these people.

I started with 16s' and was stuck there for a long time. My gist was that this guy was an ***hole throwing weights around the place and generally being an annoyance to everyone. What I also didn't add that he would use a set of weights and basically throw it back towards the rack and leave it there without putting it away. A real 'ard character.

For the record, the weights I push i comparison with the real juice monsters in my gym is pale.

Soldato
Fair enough, the guy was being a penis but it was more the weights comment I was taking issue with. Not saying that Regulus does that sort of thing regularly.

Off course I don't, I'm not a ****. I have ZERO interest in anyone's weights they push, body type, goals or methods. All I care about is that you don't mess around and make the gym experience unpleasant for others.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I find it amusing when some guy next to me is lifting the 32kg dumbbells making all kinds of noises for attention, then slams them down. I then proceed with the 50s, make no noise and carefully lower them and put them back on the rack all without making a single sound.

Caporegime
I find it amusing when some guy next to me is lifting the 32kg dumbbells making all kinds of noises for attention, then slams them down. I then proceed with the 50s, make no noise and carefully lower them and put them back on the rack all without making a single sound.

i find the harder i try the more sound/noise i make.

also some people just make noise, look at boxer's some of them make a lot of noise when punching, other's dont. its just their style.

Soldato
Off course I don't, I'm not a ****. I have ZERO interest in anyone's weights they push, body type, goals or methods. All I care about is that you don't mess around and make the gym experience unpleasant for others.

Apologies, think I read more into your post than was there. And yea, I can imagine the most annoying people are the ones who make a big fuss about whatever they're doing than the ones who just get on with their thing.

Associate
I did some power cleans at the gym for the first time ever today. Dam they are harder than they look even with a relatively light weight.

I enjoyed them though, got a good sweat on:)

Soldato

Exactly. You'll often find that the experienced and strong guys keep their nuts down and get on with things whilst the gym tourists cause a racket for attention. Make no mistake, I grunt and growl myself at times if I'm stuck under heavy weights but it's purely out of exertion than attention. Sadly many idiots would roar and slam weights and have a quick look around to see if anyone admired their pathetic façade.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom