*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Started raining the second I got out the door so sacked off going to the gym and worked out on my mates stuff at home. Probably took a little too much rest time due to having to switch weights each set, but was a fun session none the less. Nice not to have to cycle 8 miles in the rain as well.

Associate
Had an awesome deadlift session today at the gym.
It went like this (complete with feedback looks from the whole 5 gym members present) :
5x60kg - yea whatever
5x100kg - that's just BW dude
2x140kg - not impressed
1x180kg - rather slow, even I was disappointed with it. I decided it's time to visit the loo go for no 2 before going any further. I had to be prepared.
I come back, slap the 5th plate on each side - everybody staring at me. Had a quick debate on whether to use the phone to film myself or listen to some epic music, decided for the later.

220kg in front of me, Drowning Pool screaming on my headphones and me letting out the loudest RAWR known to mankind. The whole 5 members in the weights area looked at me like :eek: :eek:

It went up so easily (I guess I really got in "the zone" haha) that I decided to cheat bounce another rep up after hodling the first one in lockout for 4 seconds. Locked that up as well.

grinned like an idiot for the next minute and looked like this:

220kg deadlift baby, no belt, just straps.:cool:

Soldato
What's going on?

I get injured and suddenly everyone is flying up on the deadlifts! This is not acceptable at all!

I still have till next week before I can even look at weights! This is BS!

I should have kicked in the face on my 500 max total.

I'm gonna snap you Cristian, you and that 510 total you have now, all while strangling you with your straps!

RAWR!

.......Now to go sit in a corner again feeling all sad, popping pills for my back and eating whey powder dry with a spoon, all while sobbing "I'm a big boy, I can lift big weights as well".

Associate
thanks mate
<3
What's going on?

I get injured and suddenly everyone is flying up on the deadlifts! This is not acceptable at all!

I still have till next week before I can even look at weights! This is BS!

I should have kicked in the face on my 500 max total.

I'm gonna snap you Cristian, you and that 510 total you have now, all while strangling you with your straps!

RAWR!

.......Now to go sit in a corner again feeling all sad, popping pills for my back and eating whey powder dry with a spoon, all while sobbing "I'm a big boy, I can lift big weights as well".

haha I did snap that one from you. but while you are in your corner, just look at my BW and cheer up, I'll never have the same epic power to weight ratio as you. ;)

Soldato
icecold - Do us all proud! Props to you in entering, that's more important than the numbers at the beginning.

Cristian - Good weight fella :cool:

Nightmare - Don't worry bud, we've got all the time in the world on our side. We're still kids and we still weigh peanuts... oh wait :(

I'm finishing up my first cycle of HST this week. My SL DL's have shot up since my first cycle. First cycle I was on almost 130KG, good solid form. Second cycle I should finish on 160KG :D

Has anyone got any programs worth checking out for building mass? I want to try another cycle of a different programme, hit strength again and then trim up.

Soldato
I'm finishing up my first cycle of HST this week. My SL DL's have shot up since my first cycle. First cycle I was on almost 130KG, good solid form. Second cycle I should finish on 160KG :D

I found the same thing with my SLDLs, the numbers have just sky rocketed through the 2 cycles I've done. I was set to finish on 160 on the second but carried on an extra week to 165, feelsgoodman. You should carry the 5s on for another week if you can, see what numbers you can hit.

Man of Honour
Ok, well that didn't go to plan.

The short of the story is that neither me or my brother made weight. Somehow water loading/dehydration did more or less nothing for both of us. Gutted.

This was always going to be a strange comp for me as I was probably not going to go far over previous comp PBs (200/117.5/205 back in november, came second in weight class just fyi :p) because my lower back is a little tender from the physio I've been getting (good in the long run, bad for right now). The idea was to do the minimum to qualify and then stop. Qualifying total was 512.5, so I was going to do 190/110/215 as openers which are easy.

I thought about just competing in the higher weight class, but decided it was pretty pointless. I wouldn't be able to compete at the weight class I wanted at nationals even if I did hit the higher qualifying total (I'm not sure of the exact figure but I remember thinking I could do it if I was feeling 100%), but more importantly with no goal to offset the risk of injury to my back it wasn't worth it.

Felt pretty rubbish yesterday, but after eating/drinking/sleeping a bit I realised the situation wasn't too bad really. Yes, I wouldn't be going to nationals, but that wasn't a huge deal for me anyway and there's always next year. The real goal was to grab the British squat record in my weight class, which I can still do other comps, probably in the British Universities in Novemeber.

So onwards and upwards. Sorry for the lack of comp videos/pictures, but I'll try to make up for it by bombarding you with training videos. For now, I'm going to become more stable at around 85kg, which makes cutting down to an 83kg weight class easy over two weeks. Lesson learned, comp prep takes more than 4 weeks and you shouldn't go on a lads holiday the last week of the run up :rolleyes:

This week in the gym I'm going to do some high rep stuff to work out any kinks, 'cos I'm starting smolov next week and I'm already dreading it :o

Man of Honour
Yeah it is frustrating, but it's interesting how much worse everything seems when you're dehydrated, hungry and tired. We were both pretty broken. He was aiming for the 74kg weight class, which would have been easy if he'd lost any weight at all over night.

Man of Honour
No idea really; I only lost 900g and my brother lost nothing :confused:

We didn't have our last meal as early as we'd have liked which could be responsible. It's also possible that we just didn't get enough water in on Saturday as it was a bit of hectic day, although if you seen our consumption levels you'd think we were mad. The other potential factor is that our morning bowel movements didn't really occur.

Slightly hilarious contrast to my previous comp when I lost ~4kg without even trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom