*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I managed 165kg deadlift today.

Basically went like this

60x5, 90x5, 120x3, 150x2, 160x1, 165x1

My grip is proving the major issue. I still rely a lot on my fingers, hanging the bar on them hooked. Not much in my palm at all :(

I don't think I ever use my palms really. It's much more comfortable to put the bar in the crease between your fingers and palm and use your fingers as hooks, and it prevents blisters too.

Do you use mixed grip? I recommend liquid chalk too, it's dead useful in a hot gym.

Soldato
I don't think I ever use my palms really. It's much more comfortable to put the bar in the crease between your fingers and palm and use your fingers as hooks, and it prevents blisters too.

Do you use mixed grip? I recommend liquid chalk too, it's dead useful in a hot gym.

Yeah my double overhand grip fails around 120-130kg id say, thats when I swap to mixed.

felt like my fingers were gonna pop off today lol

kai

kai

Soldato
Well good news i did personal PB on deadlift tonight. 115kg x 10 :D (66kg - current bodyweight) Have no idea what 1RM would be!

Bad news never felt this pain sensation before. The pain occurred what felt like the left trap almost as deep as the rhomboid. Now the pain was like someone had put a lighter/match on my skin, a very weird burning sensation. Not necessary extreme pain but extreme discomfort during lift. Anyone experience this sensation before?

Last edited:
Soldato
Is it normal for my traps to be hurting 4 days after deads? Well, my right trap certainly is giving me jip today:(

And that's only 80kg 5x5!! Also my hands get very sweaty during the last 5, It's a struggle to keep hold of it.

Soldato
Nice. I signed up to bodyworks yesterday.

Had first workout in a couple of weeks today after a holiday. Felt great to deadlift again. Especially to be able to do it with an oly bar for a change rather than the ez bar which was all they had at my old gym. Managed 120 8x3 for the first time.

Soldato
Nice. I signed up to bodyworks yesterday.

Had first workout in a couple of weeks today after a holiday. Felt great to deadlift again. Especially to be able to do it with an oly bar for a change rather than the ez bar which was all they had at my old gym. Managed 120 8x3 for the first time.

How much is it there mate? And is it any good? Might come and join you at some point.

Soldato
you'll be pleased to know I progressed to Olympic bar + 10kg for my squats - still pathetic but better than last weeks 15kg !

bottom and hamstrings don't half hurt now though !

made epice mistake tonight too !! basically as I'velost 4 stone wedding ring too loose ... depending on temps etc - depends on how loose it is - anyway - was loose tonight so put on another finger as it was tigher and wouldn'tfalloff ...except I couldn't get it off either

after ice buckets, clingfilm, dental floss - everything to try and get it off (oil as well) - nada - and finger just swelled more and more and more ,

after 4 hrs I'dgiven up in a lotofpain - had to go to A&E to get it cut off

felt like a right .......!! lol

Soldato
Buckster you will be surprised at how quickly your strength will increase.

I've only just started again and my first session was only 10kg a side on a smith machine, just getting good form and it was still enough to give me minor DOMS! When I stopped gymming a couple of years ago I was squatting over 60kg unassisted with a bodyweight of around 66kg and that was only around 3 to 4 months of gym work.

Don't worry about weights, just concentrate on correct form! I'm probably the thinnest person in the gym but I find it motivating and it won't be long before the strength shoots up, just need to take it gradually to avoid injuries, will start with 12.5 a side next session and go from there.

Last edited:
Associate
Nah Ive been using nothing, just bare hands.

I know what you mean about getting the grip by wringing your hands round bar, I do that but when it gets very heavy it loses its hold and im left hanging with fingers. Ill have to work on it.

Get yourself some chalk. The difference is huge. I use it for anything over 140kg to get up to 10 reps out. I can do it without chalk but I get sweaty hands and need to reset my grip every 3 or 4 reps.

Caporegime
30kg Squat? How much do you weigh?

Anyone know if I can get a basic bench for less than £50?

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18270342&highlight=official+home+gym+thread

if home gym questions are put in there, then future user's will find them easier to come by. Second hand you might be able to get a bench for £50 if your lucky, but a decent bench is usually £120+ brand new.

http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk...solid_flat_bench__full_commercial/7089_p.html

for example is the cheapest half decent bench they do.

http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk...decline_benchfull_commerical_grey/7080_p.html

that's one of my benches, the other is a gymratz one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom