*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Buckster you will be surprised at how quickly your strength will increase.

I've only just started again and my first session was only 10kg a side on a smith machine, just getting good form and it was still enough to give me minor DOMS! When I stopped gymming a couple of years ago I was squatting over 60kg unassisted with a bodyweight of around 66kg and that was only around 3 to 4 months of gym work.

Don't worry about weights, just concentrate on correct form! I'm probably the thinnest person in the gym but I find it motivating and it won't be long before the strength shoots up, just need to take it gradually to avoid injuries, will start with 12.5 a side next session and go from there.

cheers Sigma - and in answer to the other persons query - 62kg

my squats need to catch up thats for sure - yesterday I managed seveal sets of 2x reps of 90kg on incline bench, and on concentrated single arm curls 4 sets of 2x reps of 24kg...so my single arm curl is almost asmuch as my squat atm lol

Soldato
[TW]Sponge;19424331 said:
How much is it there mate? And is it any good? Might come and join you at some point.

Ive just signed up for one month, they charged me £40. Wanted another £15 on top for registration fee but I got them to waive that.

It looks awesome compared to what I have been used to. Everything looks prety old but im sure they have everything you could want. Looks like a proper weights gym.

Soldato
Sad times :(

Not really sure what happened yesterday, did a few nice sets of squats and then went on to deadlifts. Worked up to a fairly low weight at 130kg (my 1RM is 190kg) and tweaked my back! I've never had any pain from my deadliftings before. Now my lower back is pretty damn sore. Ice... rest... ibuprofen.... bleh :(

Caporegime
Sad times :(

Not really sure what happened yesterday, did a few nice sets of squats and then went on to deadlifts. Worked up to a fairly low weight at 130kg (my 1RM is 190kg) and tweaked my back! I've never had any pain from my deadliftings before. Now my lower back is pretty damn sore. Ice... rest... ibuprofen.... bleh :(

So what did you warm up on?

Soldato
Ive just signed up for one month, they charged me £40. Wanted another £15 on top for registration fee but I got them to waive that.

It looks awesome compared to what I have been used to. Everything looks prety old but im sure they have everything you could want. Looks like a proper weights gym.

I shall have to go and check it out, £40 is double what I'm paying now.

Man of Honour
you'll be pleased to know I progressed to Olympic bar + 10kg for my squats - still pathetic but better than last weeks 15kg !

bottom and hamstrings don't half hurt now though !

made epice mistake tonight too !! basically as I'velost 4 stone wedding ring too loose ... depending on temps etc - depends on how loose it is - anyway - was loose tonight so put on another finger as it was tigher and wouldn'tfalloff ...except I couldn't get it off either

after ice buckets, clingfilm, dental floss - everything to try and get it off (oil as well) - nada - and finger just swelled more and more and more ,

after 4 hrs I'dgiven up in a lotofpain - had to go to A&E to get it cut off

felt like a right .......!! lol

Sorry but I did chuckle at your wedding ring dilema! :o

However great work on the squats. Don't worry about the weight, progress is progress - it's great work! Well done keep it up. Slowly but surely. It's taken me 4 years at least to get to where I am now and it'll take me another 4 years to improve further. I'm happy to put the time in slowly, because the results speak for themselves.

This is a great place to get help and advice - not from me personally, though I'm always happy to help, but from the wealth of experience in this forum. There are some truly knowledgable people here who will do everything they can to offer you support and guidance. :)

Soldato
I got the same sort of problem as Hedge. My hands hurt when im deadlifting and doing shrugs. I know i would be able to increase my weights by quite a bit if they didnt hurt. Ive bought straps but i dont think i can get on with them.
Should i buy gloves, would that get rid of the pain as the blisters do hurt and i get black men.

Soldato

my squats need to catch up thats for sure - yesterday I managed seveal sets of 2x reps of 90kg on incline bench, and on concentrated single arm curls 4 sets of 2x reps of 24kg...so my single arm curl is almost asmuch as my squat atm lol

I'm no expert but that doesn't sound too good at the moment, for example I am starting off on 4 sets of 6 reps, there is no specific set that is the best for everyone but doing 2 reps sounds as though you are maxing your weights and I don't believe that is good for someone who is new to the gym.

Back day today. :)

Soldato

Not sure why you would 2 rep sets, and I can gauruntee your form is not strict if you're curling 24kg.

Soldato

Try the following at the end of your leg workout if you want to cry.

x30 lunges (alternating legs) followed with NO REST, x30 bodyweight squats taking 2 seconds to go down.

Sounds easy as pie, but will have you in serious pain.

Love it!

I've been out of the gym for a week as I'm rushing to finish the car work and get moved up to Aberdeen :( But I think I get free membership of a company gym up there as they allow others on the same industrial estate to use it. Apparently it has free weights, machines and classes, so hopefully it isn't rubbish.

But there is a Nuffield Health 5mins walk from my Flat as a backup.

Soldato
It's a simple enough movement - lean forward and grasp the dumbell, then swing your whole body backwards, get the dumbell to 90 degrees, then bring it back down again. :p

Just teasing Buckster. But if you're squatting 30kg you probably aren't concentration curling 24kg.

Last edited:
Soldato
Pfft! 24kg dumbbells?!

Try that with an olympic bar! Curling 30kg like boss I am!
I'm pathetically weak Biceps.

On the bright side I can actually lean backwards a lot, plus I can use my abwheel without pain in my lower back! I can't wait to start lifting again.

I'm sooo temped to actually buy some thick 15kg chains to throw on that bar in my gym to bump the weight from 145 to 175kg.

AAAAAH YEAH!
Then I want them to play this out loud when I'm busy repping that out making all those bicep boys cry like little girlz!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom