*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I find if my lower back is aching after or even during deadlifts, I'm doing it wrong. Really stick your ass out and keep your chest up, imagine your pushing the floor away from the bar not pulling the weight from the ground.

Soldato
working 10 - 6 the morning is really ideal for me. If I can leave the house before 7, i can get to the gym, do my session, hit the pool / spa for 20 mins, get ready, and get into the office before 10, relaxed and energised for the day ahead. I'd really recommend it!

eeek dunno if I could manage that, I really am not a morning person! Though getting out the way in the morning would be ideal..

Soldato
Gotta admit, dunno if it was technique but I hammered the deadlifts for my PBs last night and I feel like a pensioner today. my back has been killing me :(

Suck it up!

You don't know real pain till you've crushed/pinched a nerve cluster in your lumbar area and had to be carried to the doctors.
Then spend 7 days on muscle relaxants, dual painkillers and anti-inflammatories.

Nothing worse than 100% constant cramps in your muscles and then have them litarally pull your spine back in on itself, all while pushing down on that nerve cluster even more, which in response causing all the muscles to spasm even more.

Don't worry though, you'd know if you did damage. Those are just DOMS, god I wish I had doms hahaha.

Ah well on Friday I get Dr.Megan all to myself for an hour as she massages and/or chiropracters me after giving me some scans.

Associate
Close to finally joining a gym now. The Copthorne Hotel near me is £25.50 for one month (no fixed contract) which includes coffee, towels, full gym access, swimming pool, sauna/steam room.

Not bad to be honest, me and my friend are thinking about joining.

Other gym is Fitness First which is £28.50 which includes full gym access, steam room, free lessons for some martial arts/strength training but it's a 12 month contract which is putting me off.

Associate
Diet gods.. heed your wisdom here!

I've been cutting for the past 6 weeks, and although my first 2-3 weeks went great and i lost almost 5lbs (of mostly edit:fat) i have since slowed right down to a halt, and now feel like i am gaining instead of losing.

Am i eating too many good fats in my diet? I've just calculcated my macros which i havent done in a while.. and my totals come out with P200g, C130g, F100g.

Is 100g of fats too much in a day? The sources are good fats.. EVOO, fatty fish (mackerel), eggs, almonds, red meat. But is it too much to cut on?

Last edited:
Soldato
I got myself a routine in the Gym now for the weights. I use the chest press, lat pull down, leg press, shoulder press and free weights all on various weights. Nothing too intense, I'm finding I hurt less than when I first started (could barely get dressed for the aches).
Also doing dips as I can't get good form on triceps exercises with the dumbbells.

Caporegime
OP
Close to finally joining a gym now. The Copthorne Hotel near me is £25.50 for one month (no fixed contract) which includes coffee, towels, full gym access, swimming pool, sauna/steam room.

Other gym is Fitness First which is £28.50 which includes full gym access, steam room, free lessons for some martial arts/strength training but it's a 12 month contract which is putting me off.

Crawley?
If so, what about the old Cannons, think it's Nuffield now. That or there are a few powerlifting places around the area

Caporegime
The same, during workouts only. Although I am at the gym 5~6 times a week. I've been playing around with the doses and seen an improvement with uping the scoops from the usual 4 to 8 or 10. My recovery time is really good, I had a monster shoulder session on Monday and an equally monster arm session yesterday. I don't even know what DOMs feels like anymore!

10 scoops? that's a bit mental, im actually using purple wraath just now, same thing, i also have xtend but i alternate between them.

Soldato
Did back today for the first time in years and did 40kg deadlifts which I wasn't sure about so tried one to see if I could lift it and it was fine..... came home and dug out my old diary and it appears that I lifted a max of 32.5 before? Doubt that was either side as I would have written the total.

Strange! Good though. :)

Been working under the car again after the session and leaning in the engine bay etc - not good, sore as **** now!

Associate

I'm a member at LA Fitness right next door... Small world! You tried it? :)

Soldato
DK, you and I both know I should have been on the 500club last year as well. I just always managed to hurt myself with stupidly light weights.
That's a whole load of unlucky's! :eek:

Keep at it just let it fully heal. I never had an injury prior to this clavicle issue near the cuff, just happens at the most inconvenient of times.

Started off with such a poor session. I had no drive or any kind of energy. You know when you just go in and you have that feeling it's not going to go well - That happened. I knew it when I found 110KG for warm up a bit funny.

Went straight into my HST cycle - 152.5KG raw squat, after the first rep I just knew it. Failed second. Pumped up music, found a teeny ounce of aggression and I managed 5reps for 150KG. I made mince of this on monday.

I ate late and heavy - Think that's the reason.

I've gotten too used to lifting heavy without any energy, drive and stimulation. The (rare) days I have some coffee before a session, I know it's going to be a guaranteed hit!

Associate

I've been cutting for the past 6 weeks, and although my first 2-3 weeks went great and i lost almost 5lbs (of mostly muscle) i have since slowed right down to a halt, and now feel like i am gaining instead of losing.

Am i eating too many good fats in my diet? I've just calculcated my macros which i havent done in a while.. and my totals come out with P200g, C130g, F100g.

Is 100g of fats too much in a day? The sources are good fats.. EVOO, fatty fish (mackerel), eggs, almonds, red meat. But is it too much to cut on?

More importantly - what is your daily calorie intake?

Associate
More importantly - what is your daily calorie intake?

I started off week 1 of my cut dropping to 3000 kcal, then 2750, then 2500, then after this is where i hit a brick wall even after dropping to 2250 then 2000. Now it's week 6 and i'm back to 2500 to see if i was eating too little calories.

I am 5'11 and around 175lbs. Usually with high activity levels (however when i dropped to 2000kcal, my activity dropped too as i was made redundant and spent most hours of the day on the computer job searching/emailing etc. and then going for my gym session).

Caporegime
Don't know the actual terms for them but i'll try and describe..

Knee on flat bench, raising weights with one arm at a time.
Lying flat face down on a flat raised thing with my legs restrained? Then hands behind head, up and down (lower back feels the burn)
Same thing but doing it on my side..
Pull down bars..
Backwards chest thingy
Weighted rows

Literally don't know any of the names for back apart from deadlifts..

Thanks for the vids :)

Ah okay, so some bent over rows and a few other bits. :)

May be worth seeing if you can get into chin-ups as this can help the back surprisingly.

You can also do rear-dumbbell flys - These do touch the shoulders slightly, on the back anyway.

Deadlifts as shown earlier, back extensions I guess, T-Bar rows can be good, then there are all kinds of 'ROW' types = ROWS

Soldato
May be worth seeing if you can get into chin-ups as this can help the back surprisingly.

Chin ups are good, wide grip pull ups are the best, although pretty darn difficult! The thing you must remember for EITHER of these movements is that to get the full benefit for your back, you must start from a DEAD HANG for every rep. That means literally hanging with your arms fully extended, then pulling your chin above the bar for every rep. Otherwise you'll only be hitting your biceps, and your back ever so slightly!

Soldato

I've been cutting for the past 6 weeks, and although my first 2-3 weeks went great and i lost almost 5lbs (of mostly muscle) i have since slowed right down to a halt, and now feel like i am gaining instead of losing.

Wow, you lost 5lbs of mostly muscle, that's really bad, my macros are 40:30:30, 38g Carbs, 27g Protein and 12.5g Fats for every meal, and i have 6 meals per day, followed by a 4 day split routine of Chest & Biceps/Legs/Back/Shoulders & Triceps from Monday-Thursday and the weekend off, the calorie calculator i used also adjusts your intake based on your activity level and your job.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Chin ups are good, wide grip pull ups are the best, although pretty darn difficult! The thing you must remember for EITHER of these movements is that to get the full benefit for your back, you must start from a DEAD HANG for every rep. That means literally hanging with your arms fully extended, then pulling your chin above the bar for every rep. Otherwise you'll only be hitting your biceps, and your back ever so slightly!

True...I cant do wide grip to save my life...So I intend to 'cheat' a bit until I can. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom