*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
OP
Only issue with straps is, you can spend to much time on the floor preparing.

I'm in the same boat with the mixed grip, way prefer both hands over the bar but after about 130kg its game over. I only do singles on the deadlift, so I'm not too worried about imbalances. Tried reversing my mixed grip a few times but got some horrible results :)

straps take seconds to do before a set, then you go. Elbow or knee wraps are another thing :p

Soldato
Did deadlifts yesterday, slowly working my way back up, did some warm ups of
60x5
85x5
110x5
120x4
then:
145x5
125x10
(all double overhand :p)
Also did some heavy shrugs, weak SLDL's and some back and leg work. Anyone else get muscular pain in their hands from deadlifts?

Last edited:
Associate
Don't get me wrong I use straps but the train of thought with some of the better powerlifting I know is that you should start standing up and get a full breath of air, fill the belly and then grab the bar. Which is not possible with straps. Basically they dive bomb the bar but these guys are lifting some serious weight.

I was always told that crouching by the bar applying straps was taking away from your muscle elasticity. I'm sure it doesn't make that much diffence but I can see where they are coming from e.g benching from dead with a 3 second pause.

Plus I can't wrap my own straps :D

Caporegime
Straps are easy, you only need to wrap them once or twice for them to do the job. :) Don't need them wound along the bar tightly or anything, they are there just to counteract the "roll" on the bar that your fingers force. :)

Soldato
You know when you've done deads right because you don't have any callouses left when you've finished :D

haha ripped one the other day, didnt really notice till my hand was bleeding :o. Got very calloused hands and they serve me well :p, deadlifts are an exercise that comes very easily to me I find (started again deadlifting again 2 weeks ago).

Caporegime
OP
Well, i've finally started shrinking. Not good, not happy lol
Legs are down to 31" and i'm no longer in the 18" gun club! Not impressed!

Worst thing is, i can tell that it is more muscle that is going than fat, which is a shame.
Will have to consider eating more on top of all that I am at the moment and try to find a way to start doing some weights again!!

Soldato
Well, i've finally started shrinking. Not good, not happy lol
Legs are down to 31" and i'm no longer in the 18" gun club! Not impressed!

Worst thing is, i can tell that it is more muscle that is going than fat, which is a shame.
Will have to consider eating more on top of all that I am at the moment and try to find a way to start doing some weights again!!

Cardio is bad m'kay.

Eat meat, powerlift and play pc games. Problem solved mwahahaha.

My muscle is going as well, or it feels like it.
Cleans and presses today were hard alright. I've been wasting away into a fat blob since getting injured.

Clean and Presses
Bar x5
35kg x5
45kg x5
55kg x5
55kg x5
55kg x5

Side Lateral Raises
12kg x5
14kg x5
14kg x5
14kg x5

Upright rows
50kg x5
50kg x5
50kg x5

Barbbell Shrugs
85kg x5
85kg x8
85kg x10
85kg x5
55kg x5
55kg x10
55kg x10
55kg x10

Everything bar the upright rows were as slow and controlled as possible.

Also the odd reps on the shurgs were because I was testing my back bit by bit, I did upto 95kg on the deadlift yesterday and didn't want to strain it.
I could really feel the lower back working hard on the shurgs and the muscles stretching. No pain though so all good.

Was also bored and decided to keep going at 55kg just for some light grip training because it's be suffering since the back went boom originally.

Soldato
Lose the straps and use rock climbers chalk!
raisinsface.jpg

:cool: Finally got my Muay Thai gear through the post via Ebay and saved a small fortune as well!

Soldato
Haha Tank, I've barely used my straps yet.

Also chalk isn't allowed in any of the gyms I know off. They allow me to use liquid chalk because it doesn't come off the hands though.

Nice gear though, don't end up killing someone now.

Soldato
Haha Tank, I've barely used my straps yet.

Also chalk isn't allowed in any of the gyms I know off. They allow me to use liquid chalk because it doesn't come off the hands though.

Nice gear though, don't end up killing someone now.
I'm going to treat the girlfriend later amateur Cro Cop style :D. I know what you mean about gyms being fruity about chalk, silly really as long as you don't start throwing it everywhere there shouldn't be a problem really.

Soldato
I'm going to treat the girlfriend later amateur Cro Cop style :D. I know what you mean about gyms being fruity about chalk, silly really as long as you don't start throwing it everywhere there shouldn't be a problem really.

That's why I get on good terms with many of them, then they at least allow liquid chalk for me.

Other people there are wearing pansy gloves not knowing what's going on when I tear up the place with white hands haha.

Soldato
That's why I get on good terms with many of them, then they at least allow liquid chalk for me.

Other people there are wearing pansy gloves not knowing what's going on when I tear up the place with white hands haha.
They most likely think the place is haunted and Casper the faping ghost is leaving his creamy deposits all over the equipment :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom