*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Just think what you could do now after say 4 weeks of some concentration on it :D You'd smash your 1RM :D

The thing is I don't want to over do it as my shoulder doesn't like lots of heavy benching which is why I tend to stick to 100kg, and shallow inclines and parallel (not below) dips. If I keep within a decent range, I don't get a twinge, as it gets heavy and I start to lose form and that's when injuries occur. I could get back up to 160kg... however, I'm wanting to get my squatting and deads back on track.

Last week I was squatting 150kg ATG for 5 reps fairly comfortably, with a 1RM of 180-190 ATG. Heaviest deads I've done in the last few months was 230kg. So not a million miles off my 240... however I want to break the 1/4 tonne mark. However, I've bene doing more conditioning/medium volume/intensity work rather than strength of high volume work.

I'll see how I feel, having shed a lot of weight (fat) and looking leaner and meaner I just want to take it a little more easily - happy for my increase to take the rest of the year. I think by the end of hte year I will have achieved 250, and be back up to 200 for squats hopefully for reps - if I didn't go ATG I';d be there now, but I find it hard not to these days, so it's taking a lot more time to build the strength back up.

:(...I feel so pathetic...Haha!

I like pull-ups, but i'm just naff at them. And that's just at body weight! I'm just over 13 stone I think =/...

As above though, I'm hopefully going to start using my work 'gym', it's tiny, but atleast it has a squat rack and a bench, hopefully the free weights in there will be enough, as I want to be doing dumbbell flys not barbell bench press really.

If it's got what you need, it's the effort you put in it that pays dividends.

Pull ups come with time - I used to struggle to do more than a few - although I used to climb trees and pull myself up with ease as a kid, but was then several stone lighter!

Pull ups supersetted with another back exercise is truly a remarkable exercise though - really hits the lats and back hard.

Try doing assisted pull ups, and then gradually reduce the weight. OR do lots of negs. You just have to sometime really force yourself up. It took a while to be able to do 12x BW - so don't be disheartened. They are a hard exercise - pulling up your bodyweight is no mean feat - people underestimate the strength required.

Caporegime
Going to be lifting tonight for the first time in 5-6 months. I've been told I can do legs and back, but can't do chest or shoulders yet. Basically I can't push with my arms. I'm actually nervous/anxious.

Going for legs tonight. Me gonna hurt tomorrow. :D

Man of Honour
Pull ups come with time - I used to struggle to do more than a few - although I used to climb trees and pull myself up with ease as a kid, but was then several stone lighter!

Pull ups supersetted with another back exercise is truly a remarkable exercise though - really hits the lats and back hard.

Try doing assisted pull ups, and then gradually reduce the weight. OR do lots of negs. You just have to sometime really force yourself up. It took a while to be able to do 12x BW - so don't be disheartened. They are a hard exercise - pulling up your bodyweight is no mean feat - people underestimate the strength required.

I'm still at that struggling stage too :(

I've stopped using the lat pulldown machine and am now using the assisted pullup. I find it gives a much better range of movement compared to the lat pulldown, it just feels "right". I can't wait until I don't need assistance!

First real leg session in weeks yesterday, I was shaking by the end :D Not too much DOMS today mind but I'm sure that might change in the next day or so :o

I tried SLDL for the first time and I can feel it in my hamstrings, but I can't help but feel that it's worked my back quite a bit as well. Is this normal? Any pro tips on form?

Caporegime
If it's got what you need, it's the effort you put in it that pays dividends.

Well I am hoping it has what I need :)...Need to sit down in there properly and go through everything, definitely enough in there for squats / deads, it's the dumbbells i'm worrying about as there are some right random weights in there, like 3lb weights =/ :p

Assisted...? As in? With someone or?
And Negs? How would they work? :)

Ahh I know they are hard, and I am glad that I can do as 'many (little) as I can already, as I couldn't do any when I was younger. I find I REALLY struggle with pull-ups though compared to chin-ups, as well as a wider grip, I just don't move on a wide hand grip :p

Caporegime
I tried SLDL for the first time and I can feel it in my hamstrings, but I can't help but feel that it's worked my back quite a bit as well. Is this normal? Any pro tips on form?

Far as I can tell form when I have done them, they will work the lower back yes...Not sure how you could restrict the back movement?

Man of Honour
Yeah I was thinking about it and I don't see how it's possible, I think I might be feeling a bit extra from doing back the other day still!

Assisted is with a machine. You kneel on a pad which pushes you upwards depending on the weight selected, it effectively takes away from your bodyweight to make them easier.

Negatives are simply jumping up to the high point in the rep, effectively skipping the "positive" part, then lowering yourself down - the negative part.

Man of Honour
Well I am hoping it has what I need :)...Need to sit down in there properly and go through everything, definitely enough in there for squats / deads, it's the dumbbells i'm worrying about as there are some right random weights in there, like 3lb weights =/ :p

Ahh I know they are hard, and I am glad that I can do as 'many (little) as I can already, as I couldn't do any when I was younger. I find I REALLY struggle with pull-ups though compared to chin-ups, as well as a wider grip, I just don't move on a wide hand grip :p

Assisted as in there are some machines that will help take some of your bodyweight off you. Alternatively, get someone to help you up by pushing your feet or knees up as you pull yourself up.

Negs, jump up/use momentum, and then hold yourself up, and lower yourself as slowly as possible, repeat until you're unable to even hold yourself up. Killer - but good.

The key is to try and try and keep at it. Do the negs, and then try and doing them nice and slow and controlled.

It's hard but good fun!

Far as I can tell form when I have done them, they will work the lower back yes...Not sure how you could restrict the back movement?
Posterior chain, but should be a secondary involvement rather than a full on back exercise!

Caporegime
Assisted is with a machine. You kneel on a pad which pushes you upwards depending on the weight selected, it effectively takes away from your bodyweight to make them easier.

Negatives are simply jumping up to the high point in the rep, effectively skipping the "positive" part, then lowering yourself down - the negative part.

Thanks Zefan, just looked it up actually :)

Don't have a machine, so I will have to see if I can get a cheap resistance band form somewhere?

Negatives, never thought of that actually...Although I won't be doing them just yet, in case I take my door frame down!!! ;)

May I ask as well, neutral grip pull-ups...would it be wise to keep doing these or just stick between chins and pulls? As they are easier than chins but might help with developing my pull-ups? :)

Caporegime
Assisted as in there are some machines that will help take some of your bodyweight off you. Alternatively, get someone to help you up by pushing your feet or knees up as you pull yourself up.

Negs, jump up/use momentum, and then hold yourself up, and lower yourself as slowly as possible, repeat until you're unable to even hold yourself up. Killer - but good.

The key is to try and try and keep at it. Do the negs, and then try and doing them nice and slow and controlled.

It's hard but good fun!

Posterior chain, but should be a secondary involvement rather than a full on back exercise!

Thanks Freefaller :)

Still not sure how you can not use your back though on SLDL's...As it's part of the movement? either way though, doing SLDL's will work your hams more than a standard deadlift if done in the right way :)

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I know what you mean about the heavy bench pressing FF. I normally toy around with 130-140 on a regular basis, but recently I've stuck to 100x10x3 and my god it feels amazing. Nice slow and controlled reps and it feels so much better than doing 130x6 for example.

Man of Honour
I would do that when it gets heavy. But on lower weights I tend to keep hold of it, am i weird?

I keep hold of it always, but I also always return it to a complete rest on the ground every rep. If it's towards the end of my workout and I'm really really going for it I end up "bouncing" it whereby I'm lifting again before it's properly rested, but that's rare.

Man of Honour
SLDLs shouldn't really involve any movement in the back. If you're feeling it in your back it means you're bending your back at some point in the movement and then straightening it at lockout, which is very dangerous. If you aren't flexible enough to touch the bar down with a straight back*, then raise the bar up by putting a plate underneath each side.

*this is very common as people tend to "touch their toes" by extending their lumbar rather than flexing at the hip.

Nice benching Freefaller! Where abouts in your shoulder do you normally get pain?

Soldato
Yeah I was thinking about it and I don't see how it's possible, I think I might be feeling a bit extra from doing back the other day still!

Not having done it, but looking at the mechanics of it - Keep your back super straight and really stick your arse out ala normal DL, keep the weight very close to your legs throughout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom