*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did my legs on Saturday - I managed to squat 80kg (yay!) so did 50x5, 50x5, 60x5, 70x5, 80x5.

My SLDLs went down though - I managed around about 105kg, which was 60x5, 70x5, 80x5, 90x5, 105x5.

Donkey Calves were 20x5, 20x5 30x5, 30x5, 40x5.

I still have doms today!

Looking forwards to doing chest/triceps today and back/biceps on Thursday.

Kind regards

Indeed, hopefully I will be on my own...It's one of my fears about gyms :(

Luckily it's a school gym so hopefully the kids are all lazy :p

Just go in there, focus on what you're doing and get that feeling of destruction back into your body :cool:

Even more so? :o Watch out cypriots! Speaking of holidays mine is on friday :D Although the first 2 days is sat in a car so doesnt really count...

haha! Cheers mate :)

I haven't been this lean in ages, so I am going to enjoy undoing all the work whilst on hols! :p However, it would be good to drop another 1% or so before I go.

You'll do fine! Get into the zone and DO IT!!!!

Haha - well I got a few comments at the London meet saying that I was rather well built (and jokes that it was all talk and no action ;)). Which was nice, because I honestly don't feel "big". I'm down to just below 210lbs - probably closer to 207lbs really first thing in the morning. Just hoping I look lean and mean for the summer - off to Cyprus in just over 5 weeks :cool:

Hahaha! :D Imagine deadlifting 200+ kg for reps in that tower!
Even if you haven't improved on your leanness since the last photos you put up you're looking immense :cool:

Hah...Yeah, I cannot wait for that feeling! ;) :p

I just get all weird...As i'm not the biggest of people, so feel like they would be watching me :eek:

We all had to start somewhere, just ignore it and get on with your work out and don't worry about it. Sure people will probably look, and try and show off and so on.

I tend to just get on with it, am friendly if spoken to, and just generally don't worry.

Even if you haven't improved on your leanness since the last photos you put up you're looking immense :cool:

:o Thanks matey. Very kind. The lighting at the gym does help too, however people have said I do look leaner and less "soft". It's hard to judge yourself though.

This week and the next few weeks I'm going to be working away from home, so hotel food, and sandwiches for lunch isn't going to help. Going to have to up the cardio a lot... but even still, lots of crappy carbs and poor protein intake... so guess I'm going to have to get some protein with me to actually top up and prevent me from eating crap. :( Not happy at all about this, so going to have to try and train smart. It's just my diet that I'm going to have to be as savvy as possible with as I'm going to have little choice (all prepaid for and trying to do some shopping is going to be tough).

Ah well, I shall have to see what I can do! Just felt like ranting. I think I will have to 0 carb for brekkie and dinner (bar veggies), and just accept that lunch is going to be full of simple crap carbs (white bread for example) or just limit myself to eating very little during the day (buy some nuts and bring some protein shakes in), and eat a good meal at the hotel (the menu's not bad, lots of fish and chicken available).

It's possible, but it's not ideal. I just fancied having a whinge! :p

Hah...Yeah, I cannot wait for that feeling! ;) :p

I just get all weird...As i'm not the biggest of people, so feel like they would be watching me :eek:

I bet you're bigger than me! Squatting 40kg and same for deadlift although I am going to be going even lighter for my next deads session!

But hey, I've only been going a few weeks, I'm sticking to correct form (although not with deads it appears) and I'm happy! Who cares what other people think?

To be honest I bet you'll get a lot more 'respect' from those huge guys in the gym than you would if you you're lifting massive weights but with crap form. In my experience most big guys leave their egos at home (obviously not all though).

My quad is still sore today, been to the physio 4 times in 2 days - I think thats quite good service :eek: !!

Did some very gentle work on it today with him but it's still got a bit of swelling to it so he is leaving it until tomorrow, still got a compression bandage wrapped round it as well as on the anti-inflamatory drugs!

small workout last night, just to see start the road back into doing some weights!

squats: worked up to 100kg 3x10
BORs: 70kg 3x10 - explosive reps
chins: 5x5, mostly a small push up to start then pull up, slow down

50 laps of the pool at lunch time today.

to make up for that, tonight i'm off to Cosmo with some work people for all you can eat. Bring on the chicken balls! (and the choccy fountain!)

We all had to start somewhere, just ignore it and get on with your work out and don't worry about it. Sure people will probably look, and try and show off and so on.

I tend to just get on with it, am friendly if spoken to, and just generally don't worry.

Thanks buddy, i'll see what happens :)

Still need to post some pics up of me and the gym area again

I bet you're bigger than me! Squatting 40kg and same for deadlift although I am going to be going even lighter for my next deads session!

But hey, I've only been going a few weeks, I'm sticking to correct form (although not with deads it appears) and I'm happy! Who cares what other people think?

To be honest I bet you'll get a lot more 'respect' from those huge guys in the gym than you would if you you're lifting massive weights but with crap form. In my experience most big guys leave their egos at home (obviously not all though).

Heheeeee, not really.

When I was doing things about 3 months ago, I was only squatting 35KG as that's all I could lift over my head safely :o (No squat rack at the time :eek:)....However I'm sure I could do 50kg in this new place after a few sessions :)

Deadlifts...think I got to 55kg and then my bar ran out of space for more weight...Vinyl ones so naturally they are wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide, stupid things...Again, should be able to do 60/70kg reasonably easy I believe.

Here's hoping anyway!!! But thanks man, good to have some encouragement :)

decided to run to the gym today from work - as we've just had some major roadworks started - and traffic chaos

should have started it a year ago - its about a k - but I'd forgotten in reality thats about 4 1/2 mins or less run -time - far quicker than the 8 mins or so to drive + parking time ! ooops - good warm up too

now I'm doing dumbells a lot though getting annoyed with the racks at my gym- not sure if any others have issues - or whether its as I'm short (5'4) - but the "smaller weights" - ie 22kg -38kg are on a 2 layer rack - with the lighter 22kgs - 28kgs on the back upper row

all very well - but its really difficult to get the 28s back on the rack - the heights not too much of an issue - but its when its the height plus a lean over - it puts strain on the back - not good - but not sure of an alternative solution. Bottom rack is prob 2 1/2 foot off ground - top rack 3 1/2 foot or so.

I've felt my back twinge twice now (todays one still hurting) - I need to get above the 28 the bottom row is much easier to access lol

amazed how quickly I'm progressing on the dumbell chest exercises after just 2 weeks of starting them now (after a year of machines) - pec fly moved from 14kg dumbells to 18s (5 sets of 8-10 reps) and flat bench 26kg dumbells - 18kg dumbells were difficult 2 weeks ago :)

finished the heavy chest and some minor bicep work at end today - with my 5 sets of chinups

managed 10 , 8, 6, 4 and 3 reps today :) - I was absolutely shattered after those 5 sets. I used to do my chinups interspersed - but they've now been put to the end by one of the instructors so that my muscles are already a bit tired etc

hoping to get to at least first 3 sets at full 10 in a few weeks time

Last edited:
Deadlifts...think I got to 55kg and then my bar ran out of space for more weight...Vinyl ones so naturally they are wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide, stupid things...Again, should be able to do 60/70kg reasonably easy I believe.

Here's hoping anyway!!! But thanks man, good to have some encouragement :)

Don't stress too much about lifting big weights for now, that's a sure fire way to get yourself an injury! Some of the guys in my gym are huge, it's the sort of gym where you go to lift not do masses of cardio really, so you can imagine how much bigger 99% of people are compared to me but I train equally as hard as them so it's just a matter of time! Some of the guys I've spoken to in previous gyms have said that they all started out similar to me and now some of them are massive! Not that I want to get huge.

decided to run to the gym today from work - as we've just had some major roadworks started - and traffic chaos

I think I am going to start cycling to the gym tbh, it's about 3 miles away, probably less!

Means I have to sort the bike out though!

Oh, for anyone that cares, I seem to have my hunger back! Have been actually getting hungry today. :D

Last edited:
Anyone fancy a gym rats meet at the BNBF Centrals show? I'm going anyway to cheer on a competitor and meet my hero, Freefaller.

But would be good if could get a few more, maybe go for a big manly alpha meal in between the morning and evening show?

Don't stress too much about lifting big weights for now, that's a sure fire way to get yourself an injury! Some of the guys in my gym are huge, it's the sort of gym where you go to lift not do masses of cardio really, so you can imagine how much bigger 99% of people are compared to me but I train equally as hard as them so it's just a matter of time! Some of the guys I've spoken to in previous gyms have said that they all started out similar to me and now some of them are massive! Not that I want to get huge.

Indeed man :)

I do tend to take it steady, last thing I'd want to do is twinge my back and have issues for the rest of my life...I'm bad enough as it is :p

Oh and Freefaller...I'm sorry...I watched Harry Potter last night in stead of the Gym :(....Tonight though...I become...ALPHA MAN!!!!

YEAAAAAH :cool:

Maybe :o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom