*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Had another session at the physio yesterday re my back which as been hurting on and off for years. Yesterday it was pretty bad, which allowed the physio to get a better idea of what is going on.

Looks like it is a crushed/squashed/bulging disc! :( It would certainly explain my symptoms. It should hopefully be somewhat fixable through strengthening my core muscles and being careful. But I am going to have to be especially careful when squatting and dead lifting.

:eek:

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Soldato
Nasty!

Rest, rest and more rest until it's better tbh (except for what the physio tells you to do)! I personally wouldn't risk it. :)

:eek:

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Well considering it has been bugging me for 10 years, I don't think it's going to go away any time soon. Remember kids, keep a good posture!

Tbh, I'm not sure what has caused it. I think it's a combination of genetics (my mum used to suffer really badly from back problems) and years of slouching and bad posture.

The trick is to just manage the damage bu plenty of stretching and exercises. The physio said that weightlifting was fine. I just need to be superstrict with form, so the back doesn't get stretched at all. a part of this will be to realyl stretch my hamstrings, so I can bend from the hips a lot easier.

Associate
Going to the gym tomorrow to do shoulders and legs, however I was wondering how many days I should leave before training a muscle again?

I'm on a 3 day split.

Monday - Chest & Triceps
Wed - Back and Biceps/Forearm
Friday - Shoulders and Legs

The reason I'm asking is because my arms are fine and aren't sore, they were sore after my gym session yesterday but not anymore, is it ok to train biceps/triceps tomorrow or would that hinder my progress?

Soldato
Lass at work asked "do you lift weights and stuff?". Unfortunately it wasn't in a "oooh you look like you workout" but in a "i really can't tell" kind of way.... Gut! Ted! *cry*

Permabanned
Headed to the gym today, came off my bike about 500 yards from it, cut knee and sprained hand, had to scrap workout, all I could muster was a shower, then cycle 4 miles home.

Feeling sore now, sometimes I dont know why I bother cycling.

Caporegime
Headed to the gym today, came off my bike about 500 yards from it, cut knee and sprained hand, had to scrap workout, all I could muster was a shower, then cycle 4 miles home.

Feeling sore now, sometimes I dont know why I bother cycling.

i have only came off a bike on 2 occasions, first when i was in primary school and i went down a hill and never knew there was a 10cm high wall at the bottom of it, when i realised it was too late (broken nose, now squint for life), second was when i was in high school and looking at a convertible on the road and went straight into a lampost (fractured and buckled my wrist).

after that you learn to pay more attention to what your doing instead of what is going on around you.

funny stories though but i haven't fell off a bike in like 14 years now

Soldato
Look up some deadlift videos and look at the shape you should be in at the bottom of the lift.

If your back behaves like I think it does I'm slightly concerned about your squats too.

Here is a vid of my lifts:

Bearing in mind it was my fourth set because it took me ages to get the phone to actually record :rolleyes: Pretty rubbish angle too but it was the best I could do.

See the slight wobble at the bottom of the squat? Does this mean it's too heavy? I never get back pain after squatting but I'm open to advice.

Last edited:
Associate
Was thinking about midday once the gf has left for her hen do. Might be able to go earlier but I'm sure there will be some last minute disaster that I will need to help with!

Associate
Here is a vid of my lifts:

Bearing in mind it was my fourth set because it took me ages to get the phone to actually record :rolleyes: Pretty rubbish angle too but it was the best I could do.

See the slight wobble at the bottom of the squat? Does this mean it's too heavy? I never get back pain after squatting but I'm open to advice.

you look ok from that angle...however I would try and keep same weight but go a bit deeper so you at least hit parallel. The more you do, the less you will wobble. You need to add some power to these legs :)
I'm no expert at form...someone else might have some comments to help more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom