*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Never thought my legs looked that skinny! :o I try to go as deep as possible but can't seem to go much lower, perhaps it will come with time as I get stronger.

Work on your mobility, see icecold's excellent thread about that. You want to, at a minimum, get your hips lower than your knee. Practice with just the bar to see how low you can go.:)

Soldato
I can go pretty low with just the bar, that usually forms part of my warm-up. :) When I go lower I start to feel dodgy as can be seen on the last rep in that video, this is why I was thinking of dropping the weight a bit... although I don't really have much of an idea tbh.

Associate
OK i'll try to come down a bit earlier. Must make usre I have plenty to eat beforehand as I have a habit of being light headed if I train too early

Man of Honour
Here is a vid of my lifts:

Bearing in mind it was my fourth set because it took me ages to get the phone to actually record :rolleyes: Pretty rubbish angle too but it was the best I could do.

See the slight wobble at the bottom of the squat? Does this mean it's too heavy? I never get back pain after squatting but I'm open to advice.
It looks ok really, but like some others here your bar placement is quite high. I can't see what's going on with your lower back, but it seems ok.

Also, you need to go lower, nothing bad is going to happen! ;) At this stage it's just a confidence issue. Definitely don't lower the weight, it looks easy enough as it is.

Soldato
Noted, I will try my utmost to make changes! I did try lowering it but there isn't really anywhere else I could find for it to rest. :confused:

Easy!!?!?!?! Tell that to my legs! Mother caught me hobbling down the stairs earlier wondering what I was doing! :o:o:o

I must admit for some unknown reason I am absolutely buzzing with determination at the moment, I hope it stays, I will stick at it this time! :cool:

Man of Honour
I'm now leaner and heavier. One might assume this is a good thing, but it doesn't help me make weight at all :/ damn you HST

Time for some aggressive conditioning work :(

Soldato
Back in the gym for the first time in 2 weeks yesterday. I bloody hate projects that keep you so busy you can't even find time to go to the gym.

I'm getting weaker, it's really depressing. Hopefully I'll be able to get back into some sort of routine at some point.

Associate
I think I've banished the manta from my life today - always felt I needed it because my top vertebrate sticks out so much, but having watched some you guys and the associated analysis it's basically been because I've always had the bar far too high and lacked mobility.

Did away with it for today's legs session, rolled my back about before I left, did plenty of shoulder dislocations and dropped the weight right down to begin with. Wrists still need a bit of flexibility work as they were a tad sore by the end but in terms of bar stability had no issues at all even after building up to my normal rep weight. Thanks to all that have contributed to this right of passage into manhood for me :).

Associate
Just had a workout with none other than Freefaller. Very nice guy who gave me a few tips on form which was helpful.

He makes his lifts look very easy, but then he is built like a brick outhouse!

Managed 120kg squat, 120kg bench and 175kg deadlfit today.

Freefaller did 140kg bench and 200kg+ deadlift.

Man of Honour
Great to meet you today Duncan :) Already looking forward to the next sesh! :D

Your lifts were good, great form on deadlift too :) I didn't even tease you about wearing gloves! :p

Don't know about making them look easy, but thanks :)

Glad you enjoy that gym, it does have a good vibe. |It was nice to see Jay and Ed too. I'll have to let you know when I agree to go down there and do the video interview!

Good start to the day!

Man of Honour
It's a hard life icecold :)
The obvious thing to do would be eat less, but **** that ****;)

I hope it's just water weight (somewhere...). Plan for today is to warm up with a complex and then do some sprints...and hope I don't fall apart at the ankles/calves as per :o

Volcs, you've made the right choice :cool: If your wrists are sore look into working on external rotation in your shoulder, it's likely that you're bending your wrists to compensate.

Nice lifting DuncanK :)

Soldato
You guys who lift huge weights must spend ages putting them on. :eek:

Must admit the temptation to snack and also drink sugary drinks has been quite high today and yesterday too but I am resisting! BBQ later this evening so that is something to look forward to, although I will have to maybe only have 1 roll (will no doubt be white) and no beer! Will be on my best behaviour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom