*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Another good deadlift session.

170kg x 5 followed by 190kg x 3 :)

That's me done with strength for a while. Going to focus on mass for my honeymoon in 3 weeks.
Well done mate, probably good for well over 200kg grip-wise
*sniiiiiiiiiiiiiiip*
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance. :(
What's wrong with whey? I have no idea if that's not ok for a pesceterian, but I assume dairy is ok if you were considering cottage cheese.

Soldato
please present me with one shred of scientific evidence that shows any harm has ever come to a human as a result of eating 4 or 5 or even 28 cans of tuna....

I thought it was common knowledge about mercury in fish, there's a lot of scientific studies been done on fish all around the world and they have published the measurements of the mercury levels for quite a few species of fish and the information is useful because mercury isn't secreted through the human body out of your skin and in later life a build up of mercury in your body and brain could result in some serious diseases which I imagine most of us would wish to avoid.

Taken from wiki:
Mercury poisoning (also known as hydrargyria or mercurialism) is a disease caused by exposure to mercury or its compounds. Mercury (chemical symbol Hg) is a heavy metal occurring in several forms, all of which can produce toxic effects in high enough doses. Its zero oxidation state Hg0 exists as vapor or as liquid metal, its mercurous state Hg+ exists as inorganic salts, and its mercuric state Hg2+ may form either inorganic salts or organomercury compounds; the three groups vary in effects. Toxic effects include damage to the brain, kidney, and lungs.[1] Mercury poisoning can result in several diseases, including acrodynia (pink disease)[2], Hunter-Russell syndrome, and Minamata disease.[3]
Symptoms typically include sensory impairment (vision, hearing, speech), disturbed sensation and a lack of coordination. The type and degree of symptoms exhibited depend upon the individual toxin, the dose, and the method and duration of exposure.

Full page here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_poisoning

But anyways, lets not get into an argument about mercury lol...at the end of the day though am sure nobody wants a build of mercury in their body? Why would you? We all want to live a long healthy life and unfortunately the oceans which we've all come to depend on have been polluted and many species of fish are now classed as dangerous to eat due to high toxicity of many different chemicals.

On a side note, I had the best chest/biceps workout I've had in a long time today.

Last edited:
Soldato
this mornings smoothie :) it makes 2pints and in it:

drink 2 full glasses of this and I'm full until my banana at 11 before my gym session at 12.30 :) before I waseating lots of toast/pita breads for breakfast

500ml Water
200ml Pink Grapefruit fresh juice
70ml of Pomegrenate Juice (no added sugar stuff - expensive but nice)
1 Banana
4 large spoons of Organic Rolled Oats
30 frozen blueberries
1 1/2 scoops of Whey

tastes LOVELY :)

smoothie.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not 100 percent, BUT I'm sure I read somewhere that the mercury people are worried about in fish isn't a big deal, as it's actually perfectly safe. I'm pretty sure that was either in an issue of FLEX or muscle magazine. I can try and find the snippet if you'd like?

Can't make any promises though, I've quite a few magazines, but fairly certain it's a few months old.

Soldato
One thing that stopped me from making batches of protein shakes for the course of a week, was the inability to know how evenly distributed the whey is. Unless someone can tell me better, if you make a big batch with 60g of proteijnin it, making 2 pints of smoothie in total, it's entirely possible that one could have 20g of protein, whilst the other could have 40g. Especially if the liquid that's absorbed the whey sinks to the bottom? Could easily mess up your macros, which is why I'd only add the whey once pouring it in to a glass!

Soldato
One thing that stopped me from making batches of protein shakes for the course of a week, was the inability to know how evenly distributed the whey is. Unless someone can tell me better, if you make a big batch with 60g of proteijnin it, making 2 pints of smoothie in total, it's entirely possible that one could have 20g of protein, whilst the other could have 40g. Especially if the liquid that's absorbed the whey sinks to the bottom? Could easily mess up your macros, which is why I'd only add the whey once pouring it in to a glass!

I'm going with the "water in a shaker, add scoop, shake, profit!" method :p

Soldato
@lolSkotchegg:
Why are you asking the question if you've provided us with a list of fish you can replace it with? Just buy mackerel............?

Personally I can't think of anything worse than eating the same meat/fish all of the time so I just mix it up, cod, tuna, mackerel, plaice.

Why not make the batch without whey then just add a scoop before you drink it? :)

Soldato
mercury in fish

From Maximum Fitness Magazine, US edition. March/April 2011 edition.

"The mercury in fish may not be as big of a concern as you might think. "People need to understand that the presence of mercury in and of itself isn't necessarily toxic," says Bill Lands, a nutritional biochemist and author of Fish, Omega-3 and human health (AOCs, 2005). "knowing that mercury is toxic is an oversimplication of reality," he says. "Mercury in the context of adequate selenium doesn't have the toxic consequences."

As long as you have more selenium in your body than mercury, it negates the toxic effects. "One of the joys of seafood is that it tends to have much more selenium than mercury," says Lands. In fact, a four-ounce serving of tuna has 76 percent of the daily recommended value of selenium."

Last edited:
Soldato
@lolSkotchegg:
Why are you asking the question if you've provided us with a list of fish you can replace it with? Just buy mackerel............?

Hey, look, I came on to this thread because my diet has to change because there's no more sardines been sold in my city and so I need to find a new protein source, I was simply looking for suggestions, thats all...I wasnt coming on to this forum looking for an argument, I just asked a question, thats it, just a question, but once again, you guys have been difficult with me every step of the way.

I think I've had like 10 replies and not a single shred of help...thanks for that, really amazing there guys, wicked! You must be really proud of your so called gym ratz thread where you "help people" with "advice", I'm not even sure I expected anything different to be honest because its been this way for years.

Caporegime
Hey, look, I came on to this thread because my diet has to change because there's no more sardines been sold in my city and so I need to find a new protein source, I was simply looking for suggestions, thats all...I wasnt coming on to this forum looking for an argument, I just asked a question, thats it, just a question, but once again, you guys have been difficult with me every step of the way.

I think I've had like 10 replies and not a single shred of help...thanks for that, really amazing there guys, wicked! You must be really proud of your so called gym ratz thread where you "help people" with "advice", I'm not even sure I expected anything different to be honest because its been this way for years.

Not really, you have given yourself a list of fish, infact that list is very helpful for myself as i've never seen it before and it gives you a nice view of what is available.

Problem is, no one knows what shops sell you're neck of the woods so to speak, you might be able to get a nice deal from a local shop as opposed to a supermarket chain :)

Anyway, there are a few sources / tips on the few posts above mine now.

Any reason you are wanting fish? Or is it purely to have something different other than chicken? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom