*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
At the moment I do

Back squats 5x8 (80kg, 90kg, 100kg, 110kg, 120kg)
Front Squats 2x8 (80kg, 90kg)
Calf Raises 5x15 (120kg)
Leg Press 3x10-12 (160kg, 180kg, 200kg)
Leg Extension 3x10 (weight varies week to week here, around 80kg)
Hamstring Curls 3x10 (as above)
Walking Lunges 3x16 (again, as above)

Caporegime
im looking to actually lose bodyfat, so im not going to up calories, hopefully can maintain or grow slightly whilst doing IF, then when im happy with my bodyfat percentage, look at packing on some more muscle.

met a veggie personal trainer the other day who is also sikh.

basically all he eats everyday is rice, daal (lentils) and cous cous, that is it for every meal, he never snacks and only drinks water or hot water (like tea without the tea or sugar lol). he never eats out and always eats at the same time everyday. the guy was ripped to beyond belief.

as much as i like daal, i dont think i could give up everything just to eat that everyday

Caporegime
...So you're wondering why you aren't getting any bigger yet go on to say you are trying to lost BF so you are not going to up the calories...Kind of answered your own question there I think! :p

But yeah, I wouldn't want to live like that anyway, I just had a lunch of two chicken wraps, some chicken and two eggs...Sorry but lentils cannot compete ;)

At the moment I do

Back squats 5x8 (80kg, 90kg, 100kg, 110kg, 120kg)
Front Squats 2x8 (80kg, 90kg)
Calf Raises 5x15 (120kg)
Leg Press 3x10-12 (160kg, 180kg, 200kg)
Leg Extension 3x10 (weight varies week to week here, around 80kg)
Hamstring Curls 3x10 (as above)
Walking Lunges 3x16 (again, as above)

Cheers Steedie, gives me an idea :)

I should really try front squats, need to check my form though on that one...Hell, I need to get my squats up first.

Caporegime
...So you're wondering why you aren't getting any bigger yet go on to say you are trying to lost BF so you are not going to up the calories...Kind of answered your own question there I think! :p

But yeah, I wouldn't want to live like that anyway, I just had a lunch of two chicken wraps, some chicken and two eggs...Sorry but lentils cannot compete ;)

Cheers Steedie, gives me an idea :)

I should really try front squats, need to check my form though on that one...Hell, I need to get my squats up first.

yeah but people have said they have gained muscle and lost fat whilst using IF, i seem to be just maintaining muscle and losing fat slowly.

Soldato
Front squats are ace, can always feel my abs tensed and pumped after a few sets! Rawr!

Had the week off this week just gone but still got down the gym for two beastly full body work outs with the missus, which was good! And she actually picked it up really quickly, was enjoyable doing it with her!

Back to some isolation this week now though, did some reverse push ups or whatever they're called as part of my back workout yesterday, and WHAT FUN! :D

Going to try and rip my chest apart tonight. Normally just do Bench press, flyes and then cable cross overs. Then hit triceps with dips, cable pullovers/pulldowns supersetted and some heavy pull downs afterwards. Anyone recommend something different, especially for chest? My chest is horribly rubbish still :(

Caporegime
Front squats are ace, can always feel my abs tensed and pumped after a few sets! Rawr!

Had the week off this week just gone but still got down the gym for two beastly full body work outs with the missus, which was good! And she actually picked it up really quickly, was enjoyable doing it with her!

Back to some isolation this week now though, did some reverse push ups or whatever they're called as part of my back workout yesterday, and WHAT FUN! :D

Going to try and rip my chest apart tonight. Normally just do Bench press, flyes and then cable cross overs. Then hit triceps with dips, cable pullovers/pulldowns supersetted and some heavy pull downs afterwards. Anyone recommend something different, especially for chest? My chest is horribly rubbish still :(

decline dumbell bench press and decline barbell bench press

pec deck or pec fly is good also i think thats what they are called anyway

Associate
yeah but people have said they have gained muscle and lost fat whilst using IF, i seem to be just maintaining muscle and losing fat slowly.

I've been using IF for around 4 weeks now, I've dropped around 10 pounds (granted some of it is water but still). But my strength and muscle mass seems to be increasing, my biceps/triceps/shoulders/chest/abs have increased in size but that could also be because of the fat loss so the muscle I have seems more visible. But my strength has definitely increased by quite a bit.

At the start of the year I began lifting weights but knew nothing about diets, so I ate anything I could which caused me to gain over a 16 pounds, nearly all of it was fat aswell, then I began to do some proper research and read a tonne of articles and now I'm losing fat & gaining muscle at the same time which is absolutely awesome.

I've been eating at maintenance -500 calories for the entire 3 weeks. So everyday I have around 1600/1700 calories, that seems low but I'm only 5'7. I get at least 170g of protein every day and drink loads of water. I also take BCAA just before I train aswell.

I fast 16 hours and eat my calories between 1PM & 9PM. Seems to work a treat for me. Once I hit around 10% body fat (which should be in about 2 weeks) then I'm going to go on a clean bulk (+500 calories on training days and maintenance calories on resting days). I'll keep my protein high, carbs medium and fats low for training days, then protein high, carbs low and fat high for resting days, check out the LeanGains site for more information, it will change your life!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Challenge for everyone here:

Who can do an overhead squat?

Any weight you like, even if it's just the bar. The only rule is that you have to go to full depth.

Go! :D

Man of Honour
Overhead like this
??

If you can squat over 100kg then I think you should have at least 40kg on the bar, but I'm betting for many it isn't going to be weight that's the problem.

Edit: was a little slow in responding to skillmister...

My problem with these is my shoulders, I'm also hoping to get to bodyweight soon.

Soldato
Impressive stuff. I'm just trying to get more depth in my normal squat then i'll be happy.

Last night was my last gym session till mid september :o The guy whos garage i use is going on holiday for 2 weeks then i move out to uni on the 10th and will take a couple of days to sort myself out + membership etc. Also on a side note, whiplash ******* sucks.

Last edited:
Caporegime
ooooooooooooh, chest day today :)

Hopefully hammer it, will check what my shoulder is doing afterwards, if it hurts, then something isn't right :(

EDIT:

Well, i'm back...Not bad I guess, went up 2.5kg on the bench press...I don't think I will jump up much more for a while

Last edited:
Soldato
WHAT HAVE I DONE TO MY LEGS!!!

Good leg session on Monday. But yesterday I ended up walking around like John Wayne, and having issues with sitting down due to the doms. And today, the pain has eased a little, but I feel like a Centaur or something with my legs rock hard and pumped! :D

Today's chest/tri session though didn't go as well. Hitting the triceps I'm ok with, but I really struggle with my chest strength. I have been going to the gym now since the start of the year and I'm doing ok on Squats and I'm fairly pleased with my Deadlift. But the Bench Press I really struggle with. I think my PB is like 55Kg, but I really struggle to press any sets of anything more than like 47.5Kg! I don't know if it's technique or pure weakness, but I think the fact that I don't have a spotter makes me a little over cautious. Anyway, what other exercises isolation should I use to help build up chest strength?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom