*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I will definitely do some paused bench next time round on my strength training, it will help massively with the bottom of the lift where I think most people struggle.

Speaking of squat, it's coming along nicely with all the hip stretching I've been doing. Cracked out 120 x 10 x 3 tonight and it felt good.

How do you stay so lean, LiE?

I could easily go downstairs and eat the whole pack of double deckers that is sat there smiling at me. Obviously I won't but it's bloody tough work!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I think it's because I don't tend to gain fat/muscle easily. All the muscle I have put on has taken me years and has been slow which means I've avoided any kind of big bulk/fat gain. Now that I have a decent amount of muscle I burn more calories passively which helps keep me trim. I also eat pretty clean every day, helps fuel me and keep me feeling tip top.

Soldato
I think it's because I don't tend to gain fat/muscle easily. All the muscle I have put on has taken me years and has been slow which means I've avoided any kind of big bulk/fat gain. Now that I have a decent amount of muscle I burn more calories passively which helps keep me trim. I also eat pretty clean every day, helps fuel me and keep me feeling tip top.

I see.

I think am pretty similar, I'm hardly fat @ 63kg but a small belly appeared after a year and a bit of eating rubbish; takeaways, chocolates etc and now I'm eager to get rid. I can do without takeaways easy enough but that one chocolate bar has ****ed me over. I weighed ~60kg up until I put on that fat so I'm certainly not one who gains quickly. :\

I think I should stop looking in the mirror and just aim to get rid of the flab by the time I go on my next holiday.

Soldato
I'm really into Walnut halves at the moment - getting through a pack a week

they're looooverly :)

I think they are one of the better nuts for you- IpreferPecans but they're not so full of goodness from what Iv'e read

Soldato
btw- how satisfying is it as you go up the weights :)

only 3 weeks ago - on my flat benchpress 28s felt VERY heavy for the 5 reps I had to do -and I could only just about manage the 8-10 "light" reps with the 20s

today - 24s felt quite easy for the 8-10 light reps, and the alternate low rep 5s - with the 30s also felt relatively easy :)

32kg dumbells end of next weeks the target :)

Caporegime
I will definitely do some paused bench next time round on my strength training, it will help massively with the bottom of the lift where I think most people struggle.

Speaking of squat, it's coming along nicely with all the hip stretching I've been doing. Cracked out 120 x 10 x 3 tonight and it felt good.

BAH to your high lifts :(...I'm supposed to be the biggest around here!

Soldato
Really? In each hand? Chikey...I sometimes prefer using dumbells for bench, but it's not nice without a rack to hold them at the start :p

:)

been a long journey - but enjoying it

currently on 30s flat, 24s incline, and 24s pec-fly

long way to go to the 40s that some in the gym use though, mind you surprise some in my gym as I'm a right short-arse (5'4) and 61kg

and way off most here

Last edited:
Caporegime
You should come train in MK when you can :)

Aye, if I ever get a job out that way I more than likely will :) least i'll know someone there :o

I'm training by myself at the moment, which is a good and a bad thing in my books...Good as i hate the idea of training with people I don't know, and bad as I cant get spotters :p

Ah good going though buckster, will be a day or two till i do that :)

Soldato
thanks Delvis :)

btw - is it a rite of passage to start getting people to help "spot" you without prompting ?

I've had it twice with other gym regulars this week - never happened in the last 2 years ! lol - then twice in one week completely different people.

not sure if my gyms like others - but unless you actually know people- there seemss to be this unspoken rule of no-one speaks to no-one lol

obviously they saw me at max effort on my highest weights - and first instance took me by surprise as I suddenly realised someone was standing right behind me

so it was appreciated - just a surprise

Man of Honour
:)

been a long journey - but enjoying it

currently on 30s flat, 24s incline, and 24s pec-fly

long way to go to the 40s that some in the gym use though, mind you surprise some in my gym as I'm a right short-arse (5'4) and 61kg

and way off most here
I would love to see your technique to be able to fly as much as you incline press ;)

Soldato
I would love to see your technique to be able to fly as much as you incline press ;)

It may just be that I'm rubbish at my incline press technique !

re fly I try and get the weights out as far as possible and drop down so that arms are almost in line with chest - perhaps slightly above

Man of Honour
It may just be that I'm rubbish at my incline press technique !

re fly I try and get the weights out as far as possible and drop down so that arms are almost in line with chest - perhaps slightly above
It's more likely that your arms are far too bent when doing flys.

Caporegime
Just prop the camera up on something, that's what I did for the most recent vids I took.

i'll try it out, but i will probably end up completely messing it up lol

im thinking i should show you, 70kg, 120kg, 150kg and 170kg, i think my max was 180kg with bad form, so you can see when and if my form breaks.

Soldato
It's more likely that your arms are far too bent when doing flys.

they're probably at about 60 degrees - maybe still too bent though ?

btw to be fair the 24kg is only around 5 reps - for a full 10 reps I'd have to drop to 22 or 20

my body only seems to react to shock treatment - so have to push it at heavier weights at low reps - for that to then become the new weight for 10 reps 3-4 weeks down the line

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom