*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Have very little freezer space so would end up having to walk to asda (1 hour round trip) every couple of days. Then i'd need to eat even more to up the calories :p I think its like £5.50 anyway so isnt that much better value. And its the stuff pumped full of water.

1.4kg steak for £10 is much preferred :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Have very little freezer space so would end up having to walk to asda (1 hour round trip) every couple of days. Then i'd need to eat even more to up the calories :p I think its like £5.50 anyway so isnt that much better value. And its the stuff pumped full of water.

1.4kg steak for £10 is much preferred :p

steak mince I presume? How do you cook it/what you make? I just got an extra freezer for my student flat :p

Caporegime
So is that a £30 food bill or £30 after food? Either way, I'd seriously struggle with that. Time to stock up on cheap frozen meat!

I struggle a lot with food...It's just so expensive to get the right amount for what I need...Need to find a good cheap source of chicken, don't care if its frozen, currently getting about 4/5 pieces for under £4, but its naff chicken :p

Just wanna be in the gym and forget about all the **** thats gone on recently :p

It's the one thing I look forward to now, really love doing it again. :)

Just want my own gym now :o...Bloody students getting in my way....

yeah that scream was the sort of thing that would give you nightmares. Precisely why ill never lift proper big weights, i want a 200+kg bench by my 30th birthday, ill never go heavier, no need

Hah, indeed...As long as I can lift enough ti develop my body, I'm good :)

Caporegime
Braising steak but i just fry it :p Mince i just make chilli/bolognese or a random stir fry though. We asked for an extra freezer but the landlord ended up giving us a fridge with a tiny freezer compartment :/

Buy your own then? =/ Surely it's not the landlords responsibility to provide you with a fridge/freezer? Unless the contract states white goods.

Either way, go to a charity shop, could pick up a cheap box freezer or something

Soldato
Howay Skill, some dedication please. It's not exactly hard, don't eat for what, 2 months, that'll give you £240, easily enough to get a decent freezer!

PS: LOL @ Delvis telling someone to buy something :p :D :D

GAC

GAC

Soldato
well had a early session today but messed up a little, really should have done the bench first then deads. came to try and bench press and i was shatterd after getting a new pb dead. had to call it quits otherwise id have probbably dropped it for the 3rd set :rolleyes:

Barbell Deadlift:159.5 lb x 10 reps, 192.5 lb x 8 reps, 258.5 lb x 8 reps, 275 lb x 6 reps, 275 lb x 6 reps

Bent Over Barbell Row:90.8 lb x 10 reps,104.5 lb x 8 reps115.5 lb x 8 reps,123.8 lb x 6 reps, 123.8 lb x 6 reps

Barbell Bench Press:176 lb x 10 reps, 198 lb x 8 reps

Soldato
Tesco does 55p cans of tuna! a quick 32g's of protein if you're running tight on cash! They do trays of eggs for £2.98 too...not to be overlooked!

Soldato
Gym rats lynch mob to destroy the guy who caused the situation?

Hes in canada now apparently so good luck :p
Anyway enough of this **** i need some advice with my HST. All my weights for 15s are pretty low (read: depressing :D) so im not sure how much i should change them each workout. E.g my 15rm squat is 60kg so should i go down 5kg each previous workout or 2.5kg? What about stuff thats ~15kg? Dumbells are only in 2.5kg increments so will i still benefit from starting on 5kg for shoulder press? :o

I need to get to tesco!

Man of Honour
Squats I would do, in reverse chronological order (assuming you're squatting 3 times a week): 62.5, 60, 57.5.... etc. Your 15rm here is probably quite heavily dependant on your conditioning, so it will rapidly increase.

The weights might seem really low for some things, but just keep the rests really short and it will still work.

Soldato
Hey guys, was wondering what you think of Reg Park's 5x5 routine?

-----------------------

Reg Park and 5x5

The 5x5 model was Reg Park's choice du jour for packing on slabs of muscle and producing hundreds of pounds of strength. This is also the model that Arnie came to know and love during his formative years. But this isn't Bill Starr's 5x5, this is Reg Park's 5x5 and it's a little different. The first two sets of five are actually used as warm-up sets. So let's say we're going to work our way up to a 150 lb bench, the first set of five would be about 60% or 90 lbs, and the second set of five would be about 80% or 120lbs. After that you would get down to the grit, what Reg liked to call Stabilizer Sets; 3 sets of 5 at 150lbs. So it would end up looking like:

5x90 (Warm-up @ 60%)
5x120 (Warm-up @ 80%)
5x150 (3 stabilizer sets)
5x150
5x150

When you can get all your reps of 5 at 150 lbs, you add 5 lbs. So next time your bench it would be:

5x95
5x125
5x155
5x155
5x155

Reg liked to use about 3-5 minutes to rest in between sets.

One more thing: When you're first starting any 5x5 program you never want to start with your max. Typically you start 30-45 lbs below what you think you can do and work your way back up. Starting anywhere near your maximum capacity is a good way to stall out, so give yourself a running start. If that means starting with an empty barbell, well, just consider that Arnold and Reg both started at the same place you will.

Onto the programs...

----------------------

The Reg Park Beginner Routine

Here is a workout that he and Arnold used with great success (provided by Kaya Park, Reg's grandson)

Workout A

Back Squats 5x5
Chin-Ups or Pull-Ups 5x5
Dips or Bench Press 5x5
Wrist Work 2x10
Calves 2x15-20

Workout B

Front Squats 5x5
Rows 5x5
Standing Press 5x5
Deadlifts 3x5 (2 warm-up sets and 1 "stabilizer set")
Wrist Work 2x10
Calves 2x15-20

Week 1: A, B, A
Week 2: B, A, B
Week 3: A, B, etc

I'm going to start on it and it sounds great, making big gains without doing all the isolations, and if any of you have ever seen a picture of the guy, he was jacked out of his mind. I know the 3x5 deadlift sounds more muscle building than mass gaining, but apparently with this program you can get both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom