*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Triceps Pushdown and Dips, it's my only day that is lacking really, which is why I'm after a good routine :)

For close grip bench press, what percentage of normal bench press weight would you recommend? I will have a go tomorrow.

Any sort of percentage is going to be a very rough guide so I'd suggest starting with the bar alone or with very light weights until you're sure you've got the form as it requires more in the way of balance than ordinary bench press - thinking about it logically you've now got much more of the bar to pivot away from either hand. I think I normally get up to about 70-80% of my working weight for bench press but my bench press is pretty rubbish.

Associate
Did legs yesterday, felt sick from the get go pretty much on squats, but persevered and had a pretty good session, followed by curls and extensions. Sore today!

Also finding it more and more difficult to get up with time to eat my breakfast and get to work on time. Thinking of just doing have a protein shake once I get up, and then going to work and having my usual scrambled egg and wholemeal toast at work an hour or so later, any negative effect from doing this?

Also, I need something to eat between my lunch and workout. At the minute I have my lunch at 1 and then don't eat again normally till post workout at 7, and my training partner says I tend to flag towards the end of our sessions, which is true. Anyone got any suggestions on what I could throw in to 4 O'clock slot?! Don't want anything that will make me feel even sicker on leg days :(

Cheers guys :)

Caporegime
Protein shake in the morning followed by a proper brekkie won't be too bad. :)

As for a pre work out snack, banana always helps, maybe a few nuts too.

Aye, I have taken to having bananas before my workout :) About 15 mins before currently.

Also I've been meaning to ask everyone...I am S?HATTERED, all the time at the moment, mostly in the mornings, but I really am dead to the world :(...Is it due to lack of intake on certain parts? Carbs or Protein or something? Would doing a big workout and not having enough protein afterwards make you more tired eventually?

Soldato
How much sleep are you getting?

How long before going to bed are you eating?

I find that if I eat a big meal then go to bed within 2 hours I find it harder to wake up.

Use the website: sleepyti.me to see times for sleeping, it's helped me a fair bit, was recommended it on this forum. :)

Caporegime
How much sleep are you getting?

How long before going to bed are you eating?

I find that if I eat a big meal then go to bed within 2 hours I find it harder to wake up.

Use the website: sleepyti.me to see times for sleeping, it's helped me a fair bit, was recommended it on this forum. :)

Normally 8 hours, went to bed at just past 10 last night, up at 7.

Normally eating before 8, usually about 7 I guess...

Sucks...I blame my girlfriend, wakes up at random times in the morning depending on her work shifts which vary every day :(

Man of Honour
Reasoning for the nuts? They are low GI, right?

Calorific, low GI, but with the carbs from the banana, you get good protein absorption. I generally low carb so my body tends to process the protein/fat fairly readily.

The banana gives a quick boost - I'd eat the nuts about an hour or so before to enable them to be digest, but the banana about 15-30 mins before the work out. Works well for me. Hardly feel drained, just generally tired after working hard!

Generally though, a cup of coffee and banana before a work out should give you enough of a boost. However, if you haven't eaten for a while and have pushed your body hard, it's important to eat well after the work out. Doesn't mean copious quantities, but good quality foods. :)

Caporegime
Calorific, low GI, but with the carbs from the banana, you get good protein absorption. The banana gives a quick boost - I'd eat the nuts about an hour or so before to enable them to be digest, but the banana about 15-30 mins before the work out. Works well for me. Hardly feel drained, just generally tired after working hard!

Maybe it's just the initial 'OMG WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME!!!!' body phase :p

Soldato
Hands?! you animal, it's a knife and fork for us civilised folk :p

How do you hold the animal down and use a knife and fork? I just wrestle it to the ground and rip into it with my teeth!

If we have guests I might go posh and cook it over a fire first then eat it off the bone. :p

What do you eat that with?

Lunchtime is baked Turkey fillets and baked sweet potato. Slice the sweet potato and throw it in a baking tray with the meat. 190degrees for 40 minutes the night before. Then cut it all up and in a box for lunch.

Dinner is a mix of anything really, but a staple is pork fillet steaks with cous cous. :)

Caporegime
I get that every time I go to the gym! :p

Well yes :p

But I mean in the mornings, I'm mentally and physically tired...I mean work isn't helping at the moment what with trying to juggle two jobs roles and the rest of the stuff.

Only thing that isn't in my diet currently is protein shakes due to lack of money (I literally am poor right now) but hopefully the pay packet this month is nicer :(

Soldato
Triceps Pushdown and Dips, it's my only day that is lacking really, which is why I'm after a good routine :)

For close grip bench press, what percentage of normal bench press weight would you recommend? I will have a go tomorrow.

Tricep rope pushdowns, but keep your form so you don't use your arms/shoulders.

Do dropsets, lots of dropsets :D

Associate
If im going big on tri's (i.e. yesterday) i'll do.

Weighted Dips (got 42kg out yesterday oooohhh yeeaa!)
Close Grip Bench
Rope Pull downs (drop down set)
Skull Crushers.

My Tris are dead today :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom