*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Calorific, low GI, but with the carbs from the banana, you get good protein absorption. I generally low carb so my body tends to process the protein/fat fairly readily.

The banana gives a quick boost - I'd eat the nuts about an hour or so before to enable them to be digest, but the banana about 15-30 mins before the work out. Works well for me. Hardly feel drained, just generally tired after working hard!

Generally though, a cup of coffee and banana before a work out should give you enough of a boost. However, if you haven't eaten for a while and have pushed your body hard, it's important to eat well after the work out. Doesn't mean copious quantities, but good quality foods. :)

Fair enough!

Agreed on the pre-workout consumption, a coffee, a banana, and my ECA (however about 30 mins before eating) sees me buzzing! Although,with the amount of caffeine running through my body the past 3 weeks, it's effects are reducing rapidly. And thats with cutting out all other forms of caffeine/sugar! (redbull/sugary drinks/sweets etc)

Soldato
If im going big on tri's (i.e. yesterday) i'll do.

Weighted Dips (got 42kg out yesterday oooohhh yeeaa!)
Close Grip Bench
Rope Pull downs (drop down set)
Skull Crushers.

My Tris are dead today :)

Nice one on those weighted dips, the most I've done is a set of 12 with a 30KG DB inbetween my legs. However, going 'heavy' like that makes me forearms sore when releasing the weight :(

Soldato
Shopping :p £18.64 for;
img1066w.jpg

steak/chicken for 6 meals x250g
eggs/bread/muesli for a week
milk for 4-7 days depending how much i drink
pasta isnt wholegrain but its 18p for 500g, i cant complain

didnt buy potatoes, tuna, bacon, bananas as i have enough to last a while.

under £30 is gonna be close when i have to buy a full weeks worth :D

DOMS from yesterday kicking in :o

Caporegime
Not Bad

Tescos was doing 3 x 4 pints of milk for £3 the other week...Think it's still going.

And eggs were 2 x 12 for £4 :)...Thats the free range ones though, not the super value ones :o

Soldato
Im buying the caged eggs just now (shame on me!) But eating ~30 a week. Student livin' :p.

Just made a massive apple crumble (mum bought me a lot of apples I wont be able to eat all of them in time!), This cut/fat loss progression is going to slow right down combined with the drinking... :p. But damn it's tasty.

For triceps lots of supersets/dropsets work. However the key factor for pushdowns etc is focusing it on the tricep and not pushing down with your back/shoulders (see a lot of people using a lot more weight than I tend to use and do this.)

Soldato
After someones post in the 'what have you bought' thread i looked up personal saunas

Features:
• Weight Loss - Burns 600+ Calories in 30 minutes

That must be some of the most effective 'cardio' you can do surely? :p Sitting reading the newspaper in a sauna

Caporegime
It's myth. The only thing that cardio exercise and saunas have in common is sweating. I.e. you shed water. That's it. There's a *slight* increase in metabolic rate because of the heat, but even that doesn't last because your body will "slow down" in an attempt to reduce body heat once your core temp rises, and will actually lower your metabolism.

In short - sauna's are ok for shedding water, but won't do anything for your cardio.

Last edited:
Soldato
I must admit I'm going to have to think about how affordable eating a clean 3000 calories a day will be.

I tend not to buy cheap meat and I like cooking and eating so I can't just do something simple like chicken and rice 5 times a day, my body appears to be a fussy bugger too!

I can get 10kg of chicken fillets via a friend so I will give them a try. As I said, I try to buy decent meat but even then, supermarket chicken seems to be 20% water and skin. :mad: Even lentils and stuff aren't cheap!

Still, I refuse to eat tasteless 'crap'. Currently cooking chicken in white wine sauce with bacon, shrooms and carrots, to be served with cous cous. Mmmmmmm!

Soldato
Well the last batch of thighs I cooked had about > < that much excess skin and the baking tray was about 1/3 full of chicken jizz/water.

Not pleasing when it costs so much!

I've got loads of spices, made jerk chicken the other day, bbq chicken the day before that. :) 101 chicken recipes book comes in handy. :D

Soldato
Any sort of percentage is going to be a very rough guide so I'd suggest starting with the bar alone or with very light weights until you're sure you've got the form as it requires more in the way of balance than ordinary bench press - thinking about it logically you've now got much more of the bar to pivot away from either hand. I think I normally get up to about 70-80% of my working weight for bench press but my bench press is pretty rubbish.

I had a go at them today, they are pretty fun :)

Did Close-grip Bench Press
10xBar
8x30kg
8x40kg
8x45kg
8x50kg
3x8x55kg
Then
3x8x55kg Bench Press
3x8x17.5kg Rope Pulldown
3x8x25kg Triangle-attachment Pulldown
3x8x30kg Standing Lat Pulldown Machine at shoulder width

That worked :)

GG, the Gym. Well played.

Soldato
Well the last batch of thighs I cooked had about > < that much excess skin and the baking tray was about 1/3 full of chicken jizz/water.

Not pleasing when it costs so much!

I've got loads of spices, made jerk chicken the other day, bbq chicken the day before that. :) 101 chicken recipes book comes in handy. :D

Thats why i stopped buying thighs/wings. Yeah its so much cheaper but when you actually get down to the amount of meat its not much different and way more hassle. Breasts all the way (teehee)

Soldato
Bench hogger :p

Thats why i stopped buying thighs/wings. Yeah its so much cheaper but when you actually get down to the amount of meat its not much different and way more hassle. Breasts all the way (teehee)

Yeah breasts are nice :D but you gotta have bit of leg every now and then.

Chicken breast every day would bore me after 2 or 3 days.

Need to find some tasty turkey recipes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom