*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
I'm trying to keep an arch in my back when benching at the moment, really focusing on that. I find having an arch seems to push your shoulders right back, and concentrates your pec activation a lot more. At least, seems to really work for me! I don't mean a massive arch, just enough that you're consciously aware that you're doing it.

Definitely, I find you hit your chest much better when you arch and bring your shoulder blades down towards your arse.
I've been enjoying some good barbell benching the last few weeks but it feels like it's caught up with my bad shoulders so back to dumbells for me.

Caporegime
I'm trying to keep an arch in my back when benching at the moment, really focusing on that. I find having an arch seems to push your shoulders right back, and concentrates your pec activation a lot more. At least, seems to really work for me! I don't mean a massive arch, just enough that you're consciously aware that you're doing it.

Aye, as said, I pretty much follow the EliteFTS routine, arched back, pressure on the traps, push down on the heels and make sure the legs are tight and not flapping around :)

Just going to play with rep ranges and weight ratio

EDIT: Hmm...May try mentally pushing my shoulder blades down then, see if that helps...could be my arm positioning as well...Do people keep there elbows out or tuck them in?

Last edited:
Soldato
Surely that's just water retention and your intestines full of food rather than just 4kg of fat, I'd hazard a guess that most people would be the same.

From past experience 1kg or so will be 'real'. Still its quite impressive, I'm pretty sure I didn't manage to consume 7000cals over maintenance in 48h!

Bench tips for me, EliteFTS was the best video and one day it just all clicked into place nicely. I heard Rippetoe mention once to try and 'pose' like a model, ie **** & bum out, it helps emphasize the arch in the right place.

Man of Honour
Thanks DJ :)

I think it's a case of going nearly to my max, but not quite so I can get the reps and sets out...Otherwise they do nothing :(

I'll let you know on weds hopefully, thanks
This is false, and actually a quite a fast way of getting injured.

You're not getting DOMS in your chest because your form isn't right, most likely because your shoulders are internally rotated so they can't sink back into their sockets properly.

It should be very easy to get DOMS at low percentages of 1rm, my brother is currently squatting at 50% because of injury and because he's focusing on the movement very deliberately and making sure every rep is perfect he's still really feeling it.

Caporegime
This is false, and actually a quite a fast way of getting injured.

You're not getting DOMS in your chest because your form isn't right, most likely because your shoulders are internally rotated so they can't sink back into their sockets properly.

It should be very easy to get DOMS at low percentages of 1rm, my brother is currently squatting at 50% because of injury and because he's focusing on the movement very deliberately and making sure every rep is perfect he's still really feeling it.

You haven't seen my chest form :p

My shoulder blades can lock back fine it seems on bench press...Whats the easiest way to determine I have bad internally rotated shoulders?

I only bench what I can bench, due to a previous injury I had anyway :)

Soldato
You haven't seen my chest form :p

But he's right. DOMs are just the pain you get from the muscle having been torn through working hard. If your form is incorrect and you're not hitting your pecs, you're not tearing your muscles. Not tearing your muscles, no DOMs. So your best bet is to get your form looked at.

Any chance of propping your phone up in a couple of different angles to film you whilst you bench?

Caporegime
But he's right. DOMs are just the pain you get from the muscle having been torn through working hard. If your form is incorrect and you're not hitting your pecs, you're not tearing your muscles. Not tearing your muscles, no DOMs. So your best bet is to get your form looked at.

Any chance of propping your phone up in a couple of different angles to film you whilst you bench?

Aye I'll do it Weds if I remember and depending on people being there

However, just found this: http://www.mobilitywod.com/2011/09/...r-fix-internal-rotation-tack-and-stretch.html

So i'll give those a go as I know my arms don't bend that way too well, currently doing other things before a session as well to help with general shoulder mobility :)

Its weird, as some days I get them more than others, we'll see

Soldato
Front squats 3x5 @ 85kg today (went up from 85x5x5 last week) , felt quite hard although still having major calf DOMS doesnt help.

Heres to hitting 90kg ;D (then 100!)

Could see some seperation in the legs but I want moar!

Last edited:
Soldato
I love the feeling of not being able to walk home properly after a heavy session :)

I'm building up my squats again, it's slow progress though; today 90x5,100x5,115x3,110x5,90x5
Leg press; 185x10, 190x10, 200x10

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The worst of the 15 rep phase of HST is OVER!! \o/

Back squat 142.5kgx15x2 - PB weirdly felt like I could have done a bit more, felt easier than 137.5
SLDL 132.5kgx15x2 PB
Incline DB press 38x15x2 PB
pulldowns of some weight - probably not a pb :D
Dips 20kgx15, 20kgx12 - dead
Hang clean to push press 50kgx15x2 - PB, collapsed after the first set, needed a short break in the second. Horrible.

Feels like my conditioning has improved a lot though, which makes a nice change!

Caporegime
Jesus...132kg sldl lol...I felt chuffed with my 40kg earlier :p

Did legs today, I really need to sort my squat out, think it's a mixture of being tight in certain areas...I just feel like they're lacking somewhat

Soldato
Only way to describe todays workout; mehhhhhhhhhh

Had to do squats at 60kg instead of 55kg because a group of 5 people were benching with all the 15kg plates and i wasnt prepared to do squats mid workout. Hopefully wont mess things up too much. Leg extension machine was broken so couldnt do that. Had to do dumbell lateral raises instead of cable which i hate.
Back and chest were pretty good though. On my dumbell shoulder press at 12.5kg i only managed 13-11 instead of 15-15 not because i felt tired or hurting just had no pushing power left at all :(

Steak and sweet potato chips post workout though :)

*insert jealousy of icecold doing close to 3x my weight in some things

Soldato
Still not going to the gym, being busy with work and having to drive to the gym is rubbish.

Going to bite the bullet and join Nuffield. Even at £50+ its a 7min walk away so I'll go all the time. Currently the £17 Pure Gym is terrible value :p

Also just been having a good browse on meatpacks.co.uk.... My they are cheap, but only if you order over £75 to get the free delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom