*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Delvis, more fat/protein less carbs. If you like peanut butter stick 100g on a slice of Burgen bread and that's about 13g carb, 70g fat, 35g protein, ~500-550 calories. Also you can get 15 eggs for around £2 can't you? The cheap ones in tesco/asda. Not exactly expensive. That, peanut butter and whey should be your staples if you're on a low budget.

True, but it all adds up matey, I literally am poor by the end of each month, and i'm trying to pay off two overdrafts :):(

I'm not a fan of peanut butter on its own, but with a very thin layer of jam and 100g of peanut butter in a sandwich it's just divine, and fits in very well with my macros.

True :)

I'll try pick some up from the shop this week

Permabanned
delvis doesnt eat near enough we have told him before, but then i can understand the budget issues, if it was me i would be on 10 protein shakes a day with oats plus all that stuff he eats

Caporegime
delvis doesnt eat near enough we have told him before, but then i can understand the budget issues, if it was me i would be on 10 protein shakes a day with oats plus all that stuff he eats

Well thats you :p

I can show you a picture from a couple of years ago if you like where you can see my ribs rather clearly compared to now? :o So i'm def putting on weight, I really don't need a lot to put on general 'weight' so to speak.

I'm trying, and i'm training at the same time, which is better than your average joe, and it's keeping me happy :)

Soldato
As long as you're feeling better for it then you're going in the right direction matey. It's just there is a lot of room for improvement. There are ways of getting the nutrition you need on a budget, the main one being powdered protein. Obviously you're already taking it, but take more. You won't find protein cheaper than that so I'd just go wild. 80g of protein from pea protein costs me 50p per day. You can add 160g to your diet for £1 per day, hardly breaking the bank is it? Ok the equivalent in whey would be more like £1.60 per day, but you're paying for more bioavailable protein that doesn't taste quite so mud-like.

Caporegime
As long as you're feeling better for it then you're going in the right direction matey. It's just there is a lot of room for improvement. There are ways of getting the nutrition you need on a budget, the main one being powdered protein. Obviously you're already taking it, but take more. You won't find protein cheaper than that so I'd just go wild. 80g of protein from pea protein costs me 50p per day. You can add 160g to your diet for £1 per day, hardly breaking the bank is it? Ok the equivalent in whey would be more like £1.60 per day, but you're paying for more bioavailable protein that doesn't taste quite so mud-like.

It's not a lot, but over a month it's £30 odd, which again, isn't a lot, but I really am struggling each month :p

Caporegime
bread and pasta are dirt cheap and fill you up, coupled with tins of tuna (cheap as well) and some mayo (or whatever you fancy as a sauce).

and as i said before use mysupermarket.com and get £10 off your first 2 orders from tesco over £50, as well as clubcard points and vouchers for 5p off per 1 litre of fuel from tesco.

Soldato
I should be getting the whey in the morning now that I actually have it.
Eggs would cost me LOADS if I had two every day.
Nuts, possibly having a couple of heaped handfuls if not more.

It's kind of been discussed really, basically I'm poor and can't afford anything, i'm lucky to have a whole chicken breast for lunch :o

I know your situation, im going through exactly the same thing. But when you're eating things like tortillas and nutri grain bars its quite obvious what you should be getting rid of for cheaper more nutritious alternatives.

Caporegime
I know your situation, im going through exactly the same thing. But when you're eating things like tortillas and nutri grain bars its quite obvious what you should be getting rid of for cheaper more nutritious alternatives.

I was actually told on here it was better for me to be eating wraps than bread :o

That's the thing, I can come on here two months down the line and I'll get told something different :(

The nutri grain bars are less than a five-er for 12 bars, if not cheaper, and they provide me with a small snack...That's all.

bread and pasta are dirt cheap and fill you up, coupled with tins of tuna (cheap as well) and some mayo (or whatever you fancy as a sauce).

and as i said before use mysupermarket.com and get £10 off your first 2 orders from tesco over £50, as well as clubcard points and vouchers for 5p off per 1 litre of fuel from tesco.

Cheap? Tuna cheap? It's like £4 for three tins man! :p

I'll use it eventually, but how I am living at the moment, I can't order £50 of food for myself, I don't have the space

Caporegime
1.25 for 15 currently in asda.... <10p an egg..... Pretty much a staple in my student diet atm eating 4 a day most days.

They'd still cost me a fair wack

What people aren't getting, is I'm poor NOW. Adding extra food is the issue, it's going to make me more poor.

Thank you though, I will see about trying to budget for things like this

Soldato
Last edited:
Caporegime
Doesn't bleeding help i'm getting 'late payment' charges on my card now either, even though i'm paying money in each month.

How would one have their eggs?

I'd only be able to have them boiled really, especially at lunch. And how long would they keep once boiled?

Associate
Since I started the gym 3 weeks back, I thought i'd join the community :D
I have a question though, I guess it's a pretty simple one.

Does anyone know how to correct muscle asymmetry? By that I don't mean an imbalance (that's more serious).
My left bicep, tricep and pectoral is noticably smaller than my right and is much weaker. Is there any specific way of correcting this?

When I say noticably smaller, I mean it really is quite a difference!

Should I try and work out my left side more than my right? Although that's quite difficult for pectorals, can't do one arm flies!!

Much appreciated, cheers guys.

Soldato
If I were you I'd have them scrambled in the morning for breakfast with a bit of ketchup and pepper, then take a double scoop protein shake with some oats in it to work. Scrambled eggs will take 2-3 minutes in the microwave in the morning so not really any longer than your porridge.

Emphacy, keep working out as you normally would but with more emphasis on barbell work rather than dumbbell. If necessary drop the weight, increase the reps and really get your form nailed (look in a mirror or get someone to check). Your imbalances will even themselves out in time.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If I were you I'd have them scrambled in the morning for breakfast with a bit of ketchup and pepper, then take a double scoop protein shake with some oats in it to work. Scrambled eggs will take 2-3 minutes in the microwave in the morning so not really any longer than your porridge.

Fair game :)

To work? Wouldn't it go funny? :o I'd probably just down it before work

Soldato
Since I started the gym 3 weeks back, I thought i'd join the community :D
I have a question though, I guess it's a pretty simple one.

Does anyone know how to correct muscle asymmetry? By that I don't mean an imbalance (that's more serious).
My left bicep, tricep and pectoral is noticably smaller than my right and is much weaker. Is there any specific way of correcting this?

When I say noticably smaller, I mean it really is quite a difference!

Should I try and work out my left side more than my right? Although that's quite difficult for pectorals, can't do one arm flies!!

Much appreciated, cheers guys.

Dumbbell work and same weight /reps each arm. It'll even out more with time though one side tends to be stronger for everyone.

Permabanned
once boiled in shell will last a week plus, i make a point of eating 4 to 6 a day even on a cut altho ill take out the odd yolk.

But delvis im still concerned you havent gone 6 months without missing a training sesh have you even gone 6 weeks without missing one?

Soldato
Oh I meant take it dry, then add water! Or yes alternatively just have it during your breakfast, that would actually be preferable. It would still be advantageous to take something to work though as I think you'll struggle to get all your calories in if you're just eating before and after work. For reference I don't have anything before work, I take a ham and cheese sandwich, a PB and jam sandwich and a double scoop protein shake to work, have another double scoop protein shake after work then after working out I'll have something like:

2 chicken breasts, 4 sausages, 4 bacon (~£3)
or
8 sausages, 6 bacon, 3 eggs(~£2.50)

Basically I spend around £5 on food per day in total, I struggle to see how I can fill my macros any cheaper than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom