*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
once boiled in shell will last a week plus, i make a point of eating 4 to 6 a day even on a cut altho ill take out the odd yolk.

But delvis im still concerned you havent gone 6 months without missing a training sesh have you even gone 6 weeks without missing one?

Sorry come again? :)

I go three days a week after work, been doing it since late July really...I can't quite understand what you mean though? I'm getting tired :(

Caporegime
Oh I meant take it dry, then add water! Or yes alternatively just have it during your breakfast, that would actually be preferable. It would still be advantageous to take something to work though as I think you'll struggle to get all your calories in if you're just eating before and after work. For reference I don't have anything before work, I take a ham and cheese sandwich, a PB and jam sandwich and a double scoop protein shake to work, have another double scoop protein shake after work then after working out I'll have something like:

2 chicken breasts, 4 sausages, 4 bacon (~£3)
or
8 sausages, 6 bacon, 3 eggs(~£2.50)

Basically I spend around £5 on food per day in total, I struggle to see how I can fill my macros any cheaper than that.

Thank you for the input :)

It's all helping on how I can go about things

Permabanned
Since I started the gym 3 weeks back, I thought i'd join the community :D

Does anyone know how to correct muscle asymmetry? By that I don't mean an imbalance (that's more serious).

When I say noticably smaller, I mean it really is quite a difference!

you've been in the gym 3 weeks and this worries you? Everyone ive ever trained starts off dominant on their preferred side. Just hit a routine, any routine dumbell focussed if preferred and if by some miracle you are one of the 5% of people who sticks at it and for some reason this is still a problem 12 months in then maybe pop back and ask again.

Overcomplication kills new trainers, i see it all the time, worrying about the type 1/type 2 fibre domianance of the anterior deltoid when what they should be doing is GOING TO THE GYM for EVERY SESSION, EATING EVERY MEAL and continuing doing this FOR MORE THAN A FEW MONTHS.

Dont take it personal but the above is true and ill stand by it.

Soldato
Here's mine today:
foodsf.jpg

thoughts??

My Dinner cost:

2 Lamb chops £1.50 (half price out of date tomorrow)
Mange tout and Baby corn pack £1 (half price out of date tomorrow)
Tin potatoes 34p
TOTAL-£2.84... not bad I thought :)

Soldato
How much do you weigh? That's an incredible amount of carbohydrate, I'd hazard a guess and say you probably don't even need half that unless you're doing an equally incredible amount of training everyday to actually make use of the energy. If not the quantity there, along with the inevitable high levels of insulin in your blood, will surely lead to unnecessary fat gain.

Soldato
My diet has gone out the window too.

Basically only managed the following today - protein shake, fried breakfast with 2 eggs, chicken & bacon baguette and chicken curry with naan bread.

FINALLY joining the new gym tomorrow, doing weights at home just isn't the same; hunger levels are dropping!

Need to get smart and make some protein flapjacks or similar to take to uni because it's hard to eat whilst on the move.

Last edited:
Soldato
How much do you weigh? That's an incredible amount of carbohydrate, I'd hazard a guess and say you probably don't even need half that unless you're doing an equally incredible amount of training everyday to actually make use of the energy. If not the quantity there, along with the inevitable high levels of insulin in your blood, will surely lead to unnecessary fat gain.

I do consume a lot of carb but it is mostly in the form of "healthy" bread like wholemeals and seeded loafs and oats which are slow releasing carbs. I'm of the understanding this is not so bad, I didn't think my portions were too bad... 20/45/35?

Due to my body type my doc has even advised me to eat more foods that will put weight on (because I find it so hard to keep it on). I was surprised to be told to go for full fat and butter over healthier options :confused:

Height: 6'3"
Weight: 88kg, aim is 100kg - this is a bigger mountain for me than you can imagine.
Not measured body fat lately, I'm pretty damn low though, I used to be 68kg at 6'3!

I'm also very active everyday due to my job, lot's of moving on my feet and then comulsory cardio most days of the week.

Associate
Haven't been in this thread in a loooooong time!

Just got back from my back session and I feel amazing!

10x10 DL (Managed to go 10x60 10x70 ... 10x130 10x135 which is a new record for me)
3x8 Lat pull downs
3x10 DB rows
3x10 Closegrip pulldowns (not sure what they are called, with the little V shaped thing)
3x10 Seated rows

Feeling the pump so much :D

Man of Honour
I was surprised to be told to go for full fat and butter over healthier options :confused:
As has been said ad nauseam, full fat items ARE the healthier options.

Also, there was some mention on the previous page that being tall made certain things difficult, possibly from a flexibility or ROM point of view. This is nonsense, if you're taller you are literally a fully scaled up version of a shorter person. The only limitations that you might develop are due to postural problems typical of taller people, such as slouching.

Soldato
I do consume a lot of carb but it is mostly in the form of "healthy" bread like wholemeals and seeded loafs and oats which are slow releasing carbs. I'm of the understanding this is not so bad, I didn't think my portions were too bad... 20/45/35?

Due to my body type my doc has even advised me to eat more foods that will put weight on (because I find it so hard to keep it on). I was surprised to be told to go for full fat and butter over healthier options :confused:

Height: 6'3"
Weight: 88kg, aim is 100kg - this is a bigger mountain for me than you can imagine.
Not measured body fat lately, I'm pretty damn low though, I used to be 68kg at 6'3!

I'm also very active everyday due to my job, lot's of moving on my feet and then comulsory cardio most days of the week.

No point in reiterating icecold's point. So secondly! Bread isn't healthy (grains in general aren't) but seeded loafs will be the best choice here as you've realised. Burgen bread will probably be the best bet, 11.5g of carbs 6.something grams of protein per slice; I usually have 4 a day.

You're right, slow releasing carbs are better as they don't spike your insulin levels as high. However, having that quantity of carbohydrates day in day out will mean that you probably have/will become very resistant to the effects of insulin on the removal of glucose from your bloodstream and will therefore be producing more of it. This will lead to greater fat gain unfortunately. However, if you're indeed very active this will be less of an issue as your body will be making use of the glucose rather than it going into fat stores.

Personally I'd aim for a fat:carb:prot ratio of 30:20:50 or thereabouts. Protein should be most prevalent, then fat, then carbs. If possible, on off days consume less carbs than you would on heavy training days. This is known as carb cycling if you haven't heard of it before and can be quite effective if you're trying to gain muscle and lose/maintain fat.

One more thing, aspirations of a 12kg in anything shorter than years will most likely be more fat than muscle! In my first month of working out I was eating with a surplus of 1000cals per day, this saw an 18lb gain a month. I'd have been lucky if more than 0.5lb of that was muscle. Lesson learned!

Associate
Stopped smoking 2 weeks ago and joined back to my local gym. Calculated my bmi today and was still quiet happy with with my weight. Didnt loose as much as i expected from my year off the gym.
101kg
6ft 1"
Bmi 29.9

Took a lot of effort to maintain the 18stone i was at over a year ago but ive changed how i want to train now and looking to take the 16 stone i have now and go a lot leaner but try hard not to lose too much size.

Im really looking forward to getting back into training and seeing how the strength and stamina has gone down.

I think im just looking to replace the cigs with something else and i recon getting my training routine back is the best option.

Last edited:
Associate
Also, there was some mention on the previous page that being tall made certain things difficult, possibly from a flexibility or ROM point of view. This is nonsense, if you're taller you are literally a fully scaled up version of a shorter person. The only limitations that you might develop are due to postural problems typical of taller people, such as slouching.

completely disagree.
on the deadlift for example, a 6ft 5 guy will have to bend a LOT more on a deadlift. A 5ft 2 guy barely needs to bend his legs.

Same with the bench press. A short fella with reasonably wide grip will never have to get his elbows to 90 degrees because the bar will rest on his chest way before.

On a tall guy, the arm will not only reach 90 degrees but it will have to make it way past that to touch the chest and be a valid lift. That makes a huge difference, it's like squatting and stopping 5 inches before hitting parallel for the short one and going past parallel for the tall one.

Secondly, strength can not increase proportionally with bodyweight. Have a look at the WR snatch for a 67kg guy and for a 120 kg. The power/weight ratios are QUITE different.

Permabanned
Agree there christian, not to mention shorter levers and increased muscle density. Technically shorties have a huge advantage in many exercises, not to say you cant be tall and overcome these but i think once you ar 6'1" and above things are different than for those below 5'11"

Man of Honour
completely disagree.
on the deadlift for example, a 6ft 5 guy will have to bend a LOT more on a deadlift. A 5ft 2 guy barely needs to bend his legs.

Same with the bench press. A short fella with reasonably wide grip will never have to get his elbows to 90 degrees because the bar will rest on his chest way before.

On a tall guy, the arm will not only reach 90 degrees but it will have to make it way past that to touch the chest and be a valid lift. That makes a huge difference, it's like squatting and stopping 5 inches before hitting parallel for the short one and going past parallel for the tall one.

Secondly, strength can not increase proportionally with bodyweight. Have a look at the WR snatch for a 67kg guy and for a 120 kg. The power/weight ratios are QUITE different.
Actually, I agree with you, I'm not sure why I wrote my point the way I did :o

My point is that being tall is no excuse for a lack of flexibility. There was a discussion in GD recently about whether people could touch their toes and whether height had anything to do with this.

The mechanics of the various lifts can certainly advantage/disadvantage different lifters of different sizes, but there is no excuse for lifting with bad form. No one is tall enough to make getting into position for a deadlift a biomechanical impossibility.

The strongest guys that I've personally met have been tall, at least over 6'.

PAz

PAz

Soldato
The mechanics of the various lifts can certainly advantage/disadvantage different lifters of different sizes, but there is no excuse for lifting with bad form. No one is tall enough to make getting into position for a deadlift a biomechanical impossibility.

Rippetoe talks about exactly that in a couple of his videos. His point being that you can never expect two people to get into the same deadlift position, but the basic concepts should always remain the same.

His deadlift setup is the best way I've ever setup for a DL. It's all I follow now when deadlifting.

Soldato
completely disagree.

Agreed, signed, 100%!

If the bar moved further off of the ground to compensate for the extra height and mitigate the increased leverage it'd be different, but it doesn't! :p

Think im going to give leangains a try, anyone ever tried who can post results?

Soldato
Agreed, signed, 100%!

If the bar moved further off of the ground to compensate for the extra height and mitigate the increased leverage it'd be different, but it doesn't! :p

Think im going to give leangains a try, anyone ever tried who can post results?

For Intermittent Fasting, you should have a look over BennyC's journal; He combined it with HST. BennyC's Intermittent Fasting & HST Journal

Ive been following it for over a year now, as it fits in nicely with my working pattern. My weight hasn't moved in terms of what the scale say (95kg), but Ive leaned out a little and got stronger, while on a cut :D. Im just starting to fit HST in to and see what results I get (Just about killed myself doing 15x2 on 90kg deadlift)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom