*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
When things get tough your form will suffer and you'll subconsciously alter your body position/add some movement to try and get a mechanical advantage. This will take the emphasis off the muscles you want to work and start to include others. Lying on a bench/the floor effectively fixes your body in position so you can't use it the help with the movement.

I do lying tricep pushdowns and get a burn like nothing else!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Never felt the need to remove my core/stablisers from any bicep/tricep exercise. I know there are a lot of people who have bad form, but I'm always rock solid even at heigh weights 50kg +.

Associate
Aye, being tall is amusing...

Amen to that, 6"5. Brilliant for most other things however (apart from tshirts).

I've basically stopped doing any meaningful weight on my squats until I've got the form totally down. Spending a lot of time on mobility and have found out its more my core/lower back than my hips that are tight. Working on stretching these out and my squat on at least 2/3 sessions, already seeing improvements.

Soldato
Sometimes I wish people wore a tshirt saying "I am open to feedback" so that if you see someone deadlifting with a back like a banana, you feel like you can approach them and mention it. There's definitely a climate of fear in the gym where everyone feels that approaching someone for bad form is going to end up in an argument or awkward situation!

Associate
It's not so much about the weight, but when you start moving any weight around it can have a bit of a pendulum effect. The fact is, you almost always be able to curl (for example) a little bit more standing than you will seated.

Man of Honour
I just don't see the need. If the weight is so heavy it can't be done with decent form why not drop the weight. Oh yeah, because curling less than 30kg doesn't impress anyone...

That's a ridiculous point of view mate, and I expect better from a seasoned lifter like you :p

It's not just about form, it's about ensuring you're always increasing weight when you can so you're not getting stuck on the same weight all the time. And if that means you're sacrificing too much form on normal curls, then use this exercise to get used to the weight and still keeping good form

And also, using a cable machine while lying down is a brilliant exercise because it's next to impossible to keep any momentum in the bottom of the movement so you're always getting the lift from a stand still rather than swinging

I suggest you try it before knocking it

Soldato
That's a ridiculous point of view mate, and I expect better from a seasoned lifter like you :p

It's not just about form, it's about ensuring you're always increasing weight when you can so you're not getting stuck on the same weight all the time. And if that means you're sacrificing too much form on normal curls, then use this exercise to get used to the weight and still keeping good form

And also, using a cable machine while lying down is a brilliant exercise because it's next to impossible to keep any momentum in the bottom of the movement so you're always getting the lift from a stand still rather than swinging

I suggest you try it before knocking it

Sorry im just having an uber frustrating week and taking it out on everybody :o
I guess it could help but i've never been in the situation where my form fails before my arms when it comes to curls and i need to use a bit of momentum to get the last couple of reps out that i wouldnt otherwise be able to. (and then a slow negative to really kill it) Maybe i'll try it when the gym is quiet, i dont think i could live with the guilt of taking up the whole machine like that

kai

kai

Soldato
Sunday i have an appointment with a sports nutritionist in helping me improve my diet and ways i can tweak my intake alongside my training in coming from the transition of a cutting diet into a lean bulk (trying) to maintain as much definition as possible.

Prior to the meeting I have to record everything I eat down to measuring everything so he has an exact idea of what going into my body. At the moment the following list does not contain (1calorie spray use to cook and water – everything else is included. I think I’m going to get torn a new one! When he sees how low my calorie intake is for the following day by day.

capturesng.jpg

capture2jpg.jpg

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
2456 for bulking?

Yes i know - hence why the reason i said i think im going to get torn a new one!

im struggling big time eating more - this is the reason i have booked the appointment.

My macro count was higher than this a week or so ago circa 3.5k; but i want to be true and provide actually what im eating for him to evaluate this week. the 3.5k i did not believe was clean - so im hoping he can introduce ways to help me from my base of the 2.5k and build it back up to where it should be. Bare in mind im only 66.6kg at the moment.

Plus i think at the moment my fats are too low and my protein is too high

Last edited:
Soldato
I go slightly over my macros to reach my 3208, it's only carbs that goes up, protein stays the same, so i'm getting like 70g Carbs, 40g Protein and i can't remember the Fats, but that's spread across 6 meals, sometimes i'll add a tablespoon of Olive Oil which holds about 400 calories and have that in every meal if i need to hit my max calories.

Man of Honour
Haha, yea, bodypump is rough. My mate used to instruct the bodypump class at my gym and kept pestering me to come. I kept turning him down as I didn't think it would give me a good workout since it's just women and old men in there doing it. I finally relented a few months ago and went.

Well, halfway through I started looking for bins to puke in. Towards the end everything turned blue and appeared in slow motion and I could not grip the bars anymore. I fell asleep in the changing rooms for an hour and the next day I called in sick for work due to not being able to move without wincing in pain. Its difficulty is incredibly deceptive and I have a healthy new found respect for those 'women and old men' in there.

Indeed - it's a lot tougher than I gave it credit for. Didn't over egg the weight though - still 3+ mins of constant reps (though different rhythm) for an exercise is hard work.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Start eating more fats Kai and you'll see the calorie count shoot right up. Take my breakfast for example:

2 x Peanut Butter + Nutella on toasted Linseed and Soya bread

Calories - 876
Protein - 41.8g
Carbs - 43.8g
Fats - 57.4g
Fibre - 15.8g

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom