*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Fantastic day at the gym today...

Had a cable machine break while I was using it (one where you have a top and bottom pulley, I was using the bottom), resulting in a 5kg metal bar falling straight on to my head, cutting it open and causing a big bump to form, and me blacking out for a second.

Now I'm sat at work feeling sick and stupidly dizzy

Man of Honour
I'm just starting my 10x3 this week. Currently on an RFL (Basically a PSMF diet) So trying to just do the major compounds:

Back Squats (cant do front ones as my short arms dont have the mobility to hold the bar :eek:)
Bench Press (Barbell)
Should Press
Deadlift
Barbell Row
Pull Ups.

Been quite happy with HST (Did stronglifts for the past year!) and lost quite a bit of fat, while combining it with IF too.

Been also trying to add in some complexes for a bit of cardio and they're right, I do feel like crying in the corner after a set! :D
Is there a particular reason that you're doing 3 sets? HST is normally 2.

Also, you're arms being short is not an excuse for the lack of mobility in your arms ;)
I'm wondering if I should do HST in the new year? Especially if it helps burn the fat?

How is it for gaining mass / strength?
I find the 15 rep phase to be quite good for fat loss, but that could just be because the particular stresses of that phase are very different to what my body is used to.

In general, HST is very demanding and will probably require additional calories. So keeping calories static will probably result in fat loss, but reduced hypertrophy.

I made a thread about changes I made to HST to adjust it to promote slightly more strength that hypertrophy. Searching for "HST strength" should find it.
Can't wait to get in the gym today, feeling so energised. I know my training is mass but I'm tempted to do some big bench press numbers tonight :D
Do it!

Man of Honour

Had a cable machine break while I was using it (one where you have a top and bottom pulley, I was using the bottom), resulting in a 5kg metal bar falling straight on to my head, cutting it open and causing a big bump to form, and me blacking out for a second.

Ouch, it's always something in the back of my mind especially when I've got a big weight on the lat pull style cable stack with the wire an inch or 2 from my face. Wouldn't want that snapping and taking an eye out!

Man of Honour

Sounds like you shouldn't be at work to be honest mate...

Soldato
Is there a particular reason that you're doing 3 sets? HST is normally 2.

Also, you're arms being short is not an excuse for the lack of mobility in your arms ;)

I find the 15 rep phase to be quite good for fat loss, but that could just be because the particular stresses of that phase are very different to what my body is used to.

In general, HST is very demanding and will probably require additional calories. So keeping calories static will probably result in fat loss, but reduced hypertrophy.

I made a thread about changes I made to HST to adjust it to promote slightly more strength that hypertrophy. Searching for "HST strength" should find it.

Do it!

Sorry, my bad on the mistake; I did mean 10x2 (If ive got the energy, then ill sometimes do 10x3 for extra calorific burn) I'm going to be looking at the mobility thread in order to help with my arms. I did used to do shoulder dislocation exercises as I had the same issue with back squats.

I'm just looking at keeping things 'fresh' (hence I moved from Stronglifts over to HST for a try).

So, thanks for the pointers! :D

Soldato

Isnt the general advice that any head injury / dizziness to go to hospital/get it looked at?

Associate

go to a hospital.

also, claims direct mate - negligence

Soldato
Working later today so can go straight to the gym after work (cheap parking after 6pm).

As it'l be uber busy I shall be doing LEGGSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully the little Bi/Chest boys won't all be taking up the racks doing their rubbish!

Associate
Ouch, it's always something in the back of my mind especially when I've got a big weight on the lat pull style cable stack with the wire an inch or 2 from my face. Wouldn't want that snapping and taking an eye out!

All the machines I use have rubber belts instead of metal cables! :o
They are a little white and stretched in places and I sometimes fear they are going to snap.

I don't lift much so it probably wouldn't seriously injure me though.

Soldato
Well, I'm presuming the machines are supposed to be serviced in some sort of manner every so often?

Depends what bit broke. The pins you push into the weights are always broken in our gym and are really loose so you have to be careful. The problem is the people who load 10+kg weights onto the stack ignoring the notice which says the cable is weighted to 25kg only. Gonna snap one day

LiE

LiE

Caporegime

Had ago at some heavier weights tonight, strength isn't too bad but it has dropped from taking time out on honeymoon/wedding.

Bench Press
60kg x 7
90kg x 6 *
110kg x 5 *
120kg x 5
130kg x 2

*paused at bottom of rep and exploded up.

Dips
BW x 6
+30kg x 6
+40kg x 7
+50kg x 5

Finished off with some cable flyes then some bicep exercises and 20 minutes of stretching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom