*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
well starting a new job tonight (4 on 4 off night shifts) hopefully in a week or so il have figured out a routine so i can actually train and work. just hope this doesnt bugger me up to much.

the shifts are 630-7am, hopefully il be able to go directly to the gym and get home and in bed for about half 9 aiming for a min of 5 hours on training days.

anyone else work nights and hit the gym afterwards ?

My lower back is aching on the right side just above my bum. Was going to head to the gym but seeing as it's deadlift day i thought better of it.

Any tips for releiving the ache, stretches etc?

My lower back is aching on the right side just above my bum. Was going to head to the gym but seeing as it's deadlift day i thought better of it.

Any tips for releiving the ache, stretches etc?

I have a pain on my left side like this. Saw a physio the other day and he said I have pulled my glute. So you may have done that? I rested for a couple of weeks but doing regular deadlifting weights has aggravated it again. Physio just said do very light work on it. It has a good blood supply so shouldn't take too long to heal.

Have got a routine I'm happy to start with so went this morning to get an idea of how much weight I should be using per exercise, should be able to get straight into it come sunday now.

Sunday

Barbell Bench Press 4x8 20kg
Barbell Bent Over Row 4x8 20kg
Seated Shoulder Press 4x8 5kg
Dumbell Flyes 2x12 2x5kg
Barbell Arm Curls 3x8 23.6kg
Triceps Extensions 2x12 11.5kg

Monday

Squats 4x8 30kg
Split Squat 3x10
Seated Leg Curls 3x12 42kg
Standing Calf Raises 4x8 34kg
Sit Ups 3x30

Wednesday

Pull Ups 4x8
Bench Press (Dumbell Incline) 3x10 10kg
Seated Cable Rows 3x10 28kg
Lateral Raises (Dumbell) 3x12 2x5kg
Triceps Extensions (Barbell, Lying) 3x8 2.5kg
Preacher Curls 3x10 17.5kg

Thursday

Deadlifts 4x8 15kg
Leg Press 3x12 70kg
Stiff Leg Deadlifts 3x10
Seated Calf Raises 3x12 34kg
Sit Ups 3x30

Are there any alternatives to the highlighted exercises? Does it seem like a decent workout to be starting with otherwise? Also, how do the starting weights look? Most I feel are about at the limit right now, although perhaps one or two have a little room in them, can't be 100% sure as I haven't done any full sets yet.

I thought it would be worth going down and getting an idea where to start from then I don't spend the first few visits messsing about with the weights. Please do point out which are fine and which are pathetically low even for a beginner :p.

I'll let it down slowly while keeping my upper back tight, will hopefully do the trick :)

Going to be people in our gym tonight for a bit, does my head in :(

Don't focus too much on DOMS though. Deads, chins, BORs will hit your back hard if you control the movement. Superset them too can help, chins and BORs supersetted work well.

Not even a bar or a rack you can hang on?

No... deads and BORs will just end up knackering you because of the stringent form requirements for both.

Cable rows? DB rows? Strict pull-overs can work well. Sorry I'm sure you mentioned what equipment you had but I can't find it at the moment. How about, just using a treek,, get a weights belt or wear a ruck sack with some water bottles in it - don't worry about the superset. Chins are vital for a wide back IMO and those sort of raw exercises are bread and butter to imrpoving yourself.

Not even a bar or a rack you can hang on?

No... deads and BORs will just end up knackering you because of the stringent form requirements for both.

Cable rows? DB rows? Strict pull-overs can work well. Sorry I'm sure you mentioned what equipment you had but I can't find it at the moment. How about, just using a treek,, get a weights belt or wear a ruck sack with some water bottles in it - don't worry about the superset. Chins are vital for a wide back IMO and those sort of raw exercises are bread and butter to imrpoving yourself.

The only rack is one with two uprights, no top bar like this:

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/6876/marcysr50squatrack12451.jpg[/IMG]

Those weird back-ups things where mentioned...Where you hang from a bar in an upside down position and pull yourself to the bar?

I can do DB Rows, will incorporate them tonight and well as BORs...And I can't do cable work, no cable machine

And what are Treeks? :o

Edit...I could potentially put a barbell at the top and hang from that, got a feeling i'll be on the floor though by that point :p

I think I am in the right place for some help.

Basically, whilst I consider myself to be quite fit (I do a hell of a lot of running and play a lot of sport) I have almost no upper body strength (well, not to a level I would like). As such, I have decided to do something about it. Whilst I don't want to become some super strong individual I do want to be able to have a "bit of meat on my arms". Also, shamefully to admit I want to be able to do push ups properly again.

I had an accident a few years ago where I broke my collarbone and following recovery I ignored the doctors advice and didn't build my muscles up to assist a full recovery and now I am paying the price and feel like a dweeb.

Can someone provide me with some assistance/advice on how to go about strengthening my upper body (exercises/diet) so that I can start to carry out the doctors orders, albeit a few years late. Also, are these nutrition supplements (maximuscle et al) worth using, and if so, which?

Thanks all in advance.

I'm having issues with my overhead press form. I can't seem to keep my elbows infront of the bar whilst resting it on my upper chest as shown on some videos on youtube. If I keep my elbows in front of the bar, the bar is hovering about two inches above my chest which means I don't have a platform for the bar to rest on. Has anyone else had this issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom