*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Looks good.

Here is my list I've come up with, what do you think?

A
Code:
Squat
Seated Raise
Bench Press
Rows
Seated DB Press
Seated DB Curl
Rope Extensions
B
Code:
Leg Press
Standing Raise
Dips
Deadlift
Lateral Raises
BB Curl
CGBP
Not sure on number of sets for each rep phase. I've seen 1x15, 2x10, 3x5 used a fair amount. but I don't know how it's possible to do your 5 RM for 3 sets at the end of the 5 phase.
That seems fine, but I'd be weary of doing calf work and leg press before deadlifts. Also, it might be worth shoehorning in pullups or chins on your B day then maybe do facepulls on the A day for balance.

I usually go with 2x15, 2x10, 3x5. When it comes to the 5 rep phase, it's actually fairly easy to match and exceed your 5 rep PBs for 3 sets because of all the other work you've done in the other phases, and because you start off sub-maximal. I tend to drop some of the more accessory type movements though, they're not really suited for low rep stuff.
Heres my 2nd set of squats from friday. Knees buckled a bit on the 4th rep because i lost concentration :o
Still working on flexibility :(

Looks pretty good. Form seems fairly typical of someone with glutes that aren't firing perfectly, which is both cause and effect of your knees coming in. Really focus on forcing your knees out on the way down, this allows you to be better set up in the hole and creates better hip drive and deloads your lumbar spine. You need to smash your hips through at the top, and you could go an inch lower ;)

It might be worth trying a few random sets with a box that lets you just break parallel. Sit back as far as you can with your knees as wide as possible. Deload gently on the box while maintaining back angle (i.e. don't rock back), and then drive up through your heals bringing your hips through powerfully. Learn to do that and everything will fall into place. It will also help highlight where you're restricted.

I know I've just given you a lot of feedback, but it really was pretty good :)

Soldato
Really, I'd have thought a diagonal view from the back would be best, as you could see if both knees are collapsing, back arch, shoulder position, bar on shoulder positioning, feet width, etc?

Man of Honour
Bad angle for certain things, but good for others. Ideally you want something like Monkee describes, or some crazy multiple angle set up.

Caporegime
yeah...Where was the multi-camera angle setup????!!!

Pfft!

I've got legs tonight, not been feeling too great in my guts for the past few days...So a bit weary and air-headed (no comments :p)

Going to give it a go anyway

Soldato
Yeah i couldn't be bothered re arranging the gym to get a decent camera angle :D Just put in on the bench that was already there. Next time i'll take my keyring cam and get you a multi angle beast dont worry :p

@Delvis, i'm not 100% sure what is stopping me going lower, maybe icecold can clear that up. But i'm doing a variety of stretches to try improve that and my posture so some quad stretches, lunges, and squatting among others. Can't sit in the third world squat fully yet without holding onto something unless i go super wide and hold my arms way out infront.
@icecold thanks for the feedback. I'll give the box squats a go after i do my maxes this week :)

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
That seems fine, but I'd be weary of doing calf work and leg press before deadlifts. Also, it might be worth shoehorning in pullups or chins on your B day then maybe do facepulls on the A day for balance.

I usually go with 2x15, 2x10, 3x5. When it comes to the 5 rep phase, it's actually fairly easy to match and exceed your 5 rep PBs for 3 sets because of all the other work you've done in the other phases, and because you start off sub-maximal. I tend to drop some of the more accessory type movements though, they're not really suited for low rep stuff.

Yea the order of things needs tuning I agree. 2 x 15 sounds interesting. I was thinking 1 x 15 may not be quite enough. How do you find the volume on the 15s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom