*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Takes time, I can still remember struggling with 50kg. It's taken me a year to get there so far, and I'm just stronger in my legs; I think your PB on Bench Press is higher than mine.

Fair enough :)

I thought my legs would be stronger than they are due to how I've always lifted things, and skating for 8 years :p

Think my Bench is 60kg at the moment? I'll have to check the thread

EDIT: Stats as per the totals thread:

60kg / 75kg / 107kg ----- [84kg BW~] ----- 242KG

Last edited:
Soldato
Started training again and looking at getting my basic diet sorted out. I've done a fair bit of research into eggs and after reading this have got my breakfast sorted out. 4 pieces of toast with peanut butter, followed by 6 eggs made into a quick microwave omelette.

Thing I'm struggling to find enough info on though is how much tuna is safe? I know it's high in mercury but I could happily eat a can a day of it. I've read so much conflicting info it's silly. Just wondering if anyone has faced the same dilemma?

Also, excercises for growing my lats faster than the rest of me? I'm going for weight/stregnth rather than sheer bulk these days, because I recently started climbing regularly. At the moment I can't even do one wide grip pull up, so I have a long way to go yet. :D

Soldato
Think my Bench is 60kg at the moment? I'll have to check the thread

My PB (from admittedly months ago) was 57.5kg I think. Haven't had the time to do another one but would be shocked if it's gone up as I reckon I pushed that up with poor form; with good form that I use now it's probably about the same!

Caporegime
My PB (from admittedly months ago) was 57.5kg I think. Haven't had the time to do another one but would be shocked if it's gone up as I reckon I pushed that up with poor form; with good form that I use now it's probably about the same!

Aye, thats what I find with my squat...was before I was more conscious of form. Hopefully go up soon. Just need to keep hammering it really!

Soldato
Oh just had a look, my PB is 67.5kg, that's slightly better than I thought! But the comments on my form still stand unfortunately.

Yep, squat squat squat. I think volume is great for legs, lots and lots of squats. Can quite happily do my 3 sets of working weight squats, then do two sets of front-squats at a slightly lower weight, then do leg press afterwards. Yet the personal trainer that I chat with down the gym seems to think that's far too much squatting.......! No such thing!

Caporegime
Oh just had a look, my PB is 67.5kg, that's slightly better than I thought! But the comments on my form still stand unfortunately.

Yep, squat squat squat. I think volume is great for legs, lots and lots of squats. Can quite happily do my 3 sets of working weight squats, then do two sets of front-squats at a slightly lower weight, then do leg press afterwards. Yet the personal trainer that I chat with down the gym seems to think that's far too much squatting.......! No such thing!

lol...too much squatting.

I'm going to keep the weight higher for a while see how it all goes, also going to cut the amount of time I spend on a lower weight, as it just fatigues my legs.

Caporegime
Don't be afraid to fail. I.e. don't be scared of dumping the weight if it's too heavy. Load up those plates, get under em and lift them. If it's too much, dump the weights, lower it a bit, then try again. :)

Thanks man :)

Figured a way of putting the catchers on the squat rack from the bench machine so it catches the weight if I can't get through it......lol, bit dodgey I guess but the rack has no catches of it's own.

:o

Soldato
So i managed a 120kg squat last night. Didn't feel comfortable on it at all though without a spotter as the catch rails are too low for me to ditch it at the bottom without falling flat on my face/arse. Form was pretty sloppy. 110 was fine though :o. The gym was packed so i thought i might be able to ask someone to spot but there was not a single person in that i have seen squatting before. No way am i asking some bicep boy to spot me. :mad:

Gonna do deadlift max tomorrow and bench on friday

Soldato
Icecold, what's the deal with ankle dorsiflexion help? I still can't squat all the way down without toppling over backwards. With something to hold onto it's no problem, but without a counterweight in front of me all of my bodyweight is behind my knees/toes and I can't stay balanced. It's actually not so bad when I'm training because I've got a the bb to sort of counterweight me, but it's still not good.

Rip_Back_Squat.jpg

I struggle to keep my knees inline with toes, let alone in front of them. It doesn't feel like my achilles is too short, rather that my 'shin' is too long! :/

Caporegime
So i managed a 120kg squat last night.

Nice one man! I'll be chuffed when I get to 100kg!

Icecold, what's the deal with ankle dorsiflexion help? I still can't squat all the way down without toppling over backwards. With something to hold onto it's no problem, but without a counterweight in front of me all of my bodyweight is behind my knees/toes and I can't stay balanced. It's actually not so bad when I'm training because I've got a the bb to sort of counterweight me, but it's still not good.

I struggle to keep my knees inline with toes, let alone in front of them. It doesn't feel like my achilles is too short, rather that my 'shin' is too long! :/

So what happens? Unless you have the worlds largest calves and thighs :p

Are you stretching at all? Maybe you need to work on the ankle tension?

EDIT:

Could possibly look at these:
Squat

Ankle

Last edited:
Associate
I'm on my 2nd week of Stronglifts now, I keep missing monday though, I'm going to have to force myself to sleep more Sunday night :/

Failed on a 60kg squat at the end of my 4th set, not good. Hopefully I'll get all 5 sets done on Friday :)
I only weight about 70kg though so I guess that isn't too bad?

And my overhead press is laughable, I'm struggling with 25kg :eek:
I think I win the weakest-poster-in-this-thread award!

Are there any things to watch out for when training early, particularly nutrition issues? I'm getting to the gym at 6:30AM to get at the only squat rack and to get to work on time.
At the moment I'm having a bowl of cereal when I get up and a protein shake after the gym but that's about it.

Also when I finish early I'm always slightly tempted to supplement my Stronglifts with Bicep/calf or ab work, mostly out of vanity. Bad or good?

Caporegime
Careful about the breakfast......You'll get the Sausage and eggs!!! brigade after ou saying you're not eating enough :p

Could potentially get some more energy in before hand...Are you feeling weak at all during the workout?

Soldato
Depending on your goals, fasting overnight and then working out, I hear is good for weight loss.

Not that I'd EVER bother to get up early to go to the gym :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom