*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Skillmister: it's almost certainly an anterio hip (quads/hip flexors) and medial hamstring problem. Might be worth seeing if your glutes are limited too, as that can tighten up your posterior chain.

I can't tell if your losing your upper back but you should be able to feel that, and shoulders could need some work but again I can't tell from the angle.

Could you maybe shoot the next one in 3D?

LiE: 2x15 is pretty brutal volume wise, but you feel the benefits as you move down through the phases. It's made extra hard if you have particularly poor conditioning going into it... :o
Aiming for 4 big sessions this week with 2x HIIT sessions thrown in. :cool:
Good man!
Deload week for me then heavy until Christmas :D
I'm really starting to pine for some heavy stuff, might do some 18" pulls to keep me happy :cool:

Caporegime
Nope, Barbell rows. I looked up too far while pulling the bar towards me (heard someone one outside and was being nosey,.. Serves me right!) and all of a sudden got a pain in my neck and couldnt move it in any direction without pain. :rolleyes:

Ouch :( Had that before just from sleeping funny :p

Did a leg session today, was pretty naff in all honesty...Well, didn't feel like much. Didn't do any Glute isolation, only did SLDL's anyway, usually do lying leg curls.

Squats got up to 72,5kg which is my PB anyway I think from a month ago or two...Just need to get better at the squat.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
LiE: 2x15 is pretty brutal volume wise, but you feel the benefits as you move down through the phases. It's made extra hard if you have particularly poor conditioning going into it... :o

Did my first session of 15s tonight and it was pretty hard. Having done only a small amount of reps recently it felt like a cardio workout for a lot of sets! The weights were spot on apart from db shoulder press where I only managed 12 for the 2nd set. Squats I only did 1 set because after the first one I felt like I had done a sprint! Conditioning definitely needs some work but I enjoyed it. I'll try and nail the 2nd set of squats on Friday.

kai

kai

Soldato
I keep asking myself why do i keep doing squats !! i have just come in and had to crawl on all fours to make it up stairs. Why put my body through this and want to go back for more?

I think i did too much quad work

Squats - bum to floor
Bulgrian Squats
machine leg press

finished with calf raises

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been neglecting my gym due to studying for my first CCNA exam this Wednesday..which I am not looking forwards to :(

I'm actually going to be happy when it's over, and funnily enough, I'll be quite relieved to have my evenings back...then I can get back to the gym. I used to do 3 day split, but I'm going to try to make it 4.

I'm definitely going to be doing some CV work though; loads more, because whilst I've been eating like a champ (mostly when I've not been taking time off gym) I don't appear to be gaining much muscle mass except a little pinchable fat around my belly :confused: but thats not changed for the last year and a half or so /even more :confused:

If I can get my arms and chest bigger and then cut it all up..I would be very happy! Going to also add in some protein shakes as well...fish in the morning with scrambled egg and then having fish again in the evening almost makes me feel sick after eating it so long!

Kind regards,

David

Associate
Is there some kind of article on lifting weights in relation to your body weight?

I remember hearing someone say that if you can benchpress your body weight then that's impressive? or am I wrong lol.

Was wondering if there are any benchmarks like that

Associate
Was messing around seeing how much body fat I could drop without bothering counting calories as I never do just simply tinker with diet and also doing zero cv. So far dropped quite a fair amount of the month full abs, obliques atm and still sitting at around 15 stone 3-4.

Man of Honour
Did my first session of 15s tonight and it was pretty hard. Having done only a small amount of reps recently it felt like a cardio workout for a lot of sets! The weights were spot on apart from db shoulder press where I only managed 12 for the 2nd set. Squats I only did 1 set because after the first one I felt like I had done a sprint! Conditioning definitely needs some work but I enjoyed it. I'll try and nail the 2nd set of squats on Friday.
Did you work out your weights before hand? It's going to get very hard very fast if you're almost near your max for that rep range. If that's all sorted, don't worry about it too much about dropping the odd rep here and there. Just try to think about your rest times and starting weights.

Final A day of the tens successfully completely...mostly! I'm still ill, which is getting ridiculous now, and my conditioning hasn't rebounded as well as I hoped.

Squats 177.5x10x1 almost killed me, but managed it! PB too. Got under the bar for the second set but was too fatigued - something in my groin/lower core was shot. I was completely gassed by the end, if I wasn't so unfit I reckon 180 would have been doable
SLDL 162.5kgx10x2 tiring!
Inc DB press 46kgx10, x7 just lost all energy, not really sure what happened
Pullups bwx10x2 no energy left for any extra weight
Dips were almost a complete fail, dropped the weight down to 30kg and completed one set, then got to three on the second and decided it wasn't going anywhere. Finished off with a set at 20kg
HC2PP 75kgx10, x6, 60kgx8

Dead!

While I was waiting for equipment I did some rack pulls. I couldn't measure but I'm guessing they were 17". I was only able to get up to 250kg before the bar started to look unhappy, not a good sign!

Going to do a cardio day tomorrow, probably just going to do a load of complexes.

Man of Honour
Did you work out your weights before hand? It's going to get very hard very fast if you're almost near your max for that rep range. If that's all sorted, don't worry about it too much about dropping the odd rep here and there. Just try to think about your rest times and starting weights.

Final A day of the tens successfully completely...mostly! I'm still ill, which is getting ridiculous now, and my conditioning hasn't rebounded as well as I hoped.

Squats 177.5x10x1 almost killed me, but managed it! PB too. Got under the bar for the second set but was too fatigued - something in my groin/lower core was shot. I was completely gassed by the end, if I wasn't so unfit I reckon 180 would have been doable
SLDL 162.5kgx10x2 tiring!
Inc DB press 46kgx10, x7 just lost all energy, not really sure what happened
Pullups bwx10x2 no energy left for any extra weight
Dips were almost a complete fail, dropped the weight down to 30kg and completed one set, then got to three on the second and decided it wasn't going anywhere. Finished off with a set at 20kg
HC2PP 75kgx10, x6, 60kgx8

Dead!

While I was waiting for equipment I did some rack pulls. I couldn't measure but I'm guessing they were 17". I was only able to get up to 250kg before the bar started to look unhappy, not a good sign!

Going to do a cardio day tomorrow, probably just going to do a load of complexes.

I remember when I used to be able to do those weights... :(

Ah well, I've been there done that :p

Soldato
I need to check my Squat form, think I will do it tonight. I had to knock most of the weight off, as I recorded myself doing them a few months back and realised I didnt even go far enough for parallel! (Was doing a bro 1/4 squat :(). So hopefully will be atleast parallel now, after working on my form!

Soldato
Started doing a stronglifts inspired routine whilst doing a very quick cut (for a month or so).

Squats @ 77.5kg, 5x5 nice and easy, explosive power in these bad boys :)

Bench Press @ 47.5kg 5x5 was easy enough

I've returned to low weight for Shrugs (55kg atm, increasing each work out) but keeping the reps nice and slow, and pausing at the top of the movement for 3 seconds each rep.

All rest periods are 30 seconds, so nice and intensive still :) I've worked Rear Raises in to every work out (mon, wed, fri) as my rear shoulder muscles could do with beefing up considerably!

Caporegime
Started doing a stronglifts inspired routine whilst doing a very quick cut (for a month or so).

Squats @ 77.5kg, 5x5 nice and easy, explosive power in these bad boys :)

Bench Press @ 47.5kg 5x5 was easy enough

I've returned to low weight for Shrugs (55kg atm, increasing each work out) but keeping the reps nice and slow, and pausing at the top of the movement for 3 seconds each rep.

All rest periods are 30 seconds, so nice and intensive still :) I've worked Rear Raises in to every work out (mon, wed, fri) as my rear shoulder muscles could do with beefing up considerably!

Nice and easy eh? :o wish I could say that! Can't even get to 75kg yet :o...Not really going for strength though so can't complain

Soldato
Takes time, I can still remember struggling with 50kg. It's taken me a year to get there so far, and I'm just stronger in my legs; I think your PB on Bench Press is higher than mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom