*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Good work LiE. My only comment would be to make sure your hips don't raise before your shoulders. From the neutral/dead position your shoulders and hips should raise in synch with your shoulders gradually overtaking them until you reach an upright position. That is me being very critical though, this issue hardly presents itself in your video but if I were to work on one thing it would be that.

Anyone care to look over my cutting diet (cal/pro/carb/fat):

Meal 1 [1pm]:
Protein shake (175/40/0/0)
Ham & cheese sandwich (490/31/30/22)
Banana (100/0/30/0)

Meal 2 [3pm]:
Chicken breast wrapped in bacon (375/36/0/18)

Meal 3 [6pm]

Meal 4 [9pm]
4 sausages (530/25/21/38)

Cal: 2220
Pro: 208
Carb: 81
Fat: 96

On some days I'll swap out the chicken and bacon in meal 2 with a protein shake which changes the macros to:

Cal: 2020
Pro: 212
Fat: 78

I'm 5'8, 80kg, resistance training 5 days a week and somewhere between 12-15% bf at an educated guess. Aiming for sub-10% within 2 months.

For what it's worth I also take 1.8g EPA, 1.5g DHA, vitamin B complex, vitamin C each day. And in all the shakes are psyllium husks (fibre supplement and loosely an appetite suppressant), creatine (got a load to use up), vitamin B5 and cinnamon.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Got a video of my deadlift form today doing HST 90kg x 15. I think the form is coming along nicely.

That's definitely improved.

You still seem to have a slight tendency to initiate with your hips rising, but there is much better hip drive in general. More glutes! Be weary of this loading your lower back as you tire. Also, as you set up for each rep, squeeze your lats a little harder to bring your chest through (imagine screwing your shoulders back and down).

...and finally, for the pickiest of points, try to keep your head/neck position neutral instead of looking up. You head will tend to come up to try and find stability in your back, so instead focus on keeping your back extra tight and your lumbar tending towards going lordotic.
Why can't i always look like i do after the gym haha, so pumped then and now i feel tiny :(
That's because you are tiny ;)

Man of Honour
Good work LiE. My only comment would be to make sure your hips don't raise before your shoulders. From the neutral/dead position your shoulders and hips should raise in synch with your shoulders gradually overtaking them until you reach an upright position. That is me being very critical though, this issue hardly presents itself in your video but if I were to work on one thing it would be that.

Anyone care to look over my cutting diet (cal/pro/carb/fat):

Meal 1 [1pm]:
Ham & cheese sandwich (490/31/30/22)
Banana (100/0/30/0)

Meal 2 [3pm]:

Meal 3 [6pm]

Meal 4 [9pm]
4 sausages (530/25/21/38)

Cal: 2220
Pro: 208
Fat: 96

On some days I'll swap out the chicken and bacon in meal 2 with a protein shake which changes the macros to:

Cal: 2020
Pro: 212
Fat: 78

I'm 5'8, 80kg, resistance training 5 days a week and somewhere between 12-15% bf at an educated guess. Aiming for sub-10% within 2 months.

For what it's worth I also take 1.8g EPA, 1.5g DHA, vitamin B complex, vitamin C each day. And in all the shakes are psyllium husks (fibre supplement and loosely an appetite suppressant), creatine (got a load to use up), vitamin B5 and cinnamon.
Seems good to me.

Any interval stuff or complexes?

Man of Honour
Good stuff :)

Need to lose a bit of fat myself. Put on less than I expected over my period of man flu, but some tidying up is still required. Because I also REALLY need to sort out my conditioning (it's currently worse than it's ever been!), I'm going to keep my diet the same and add a few complex/HIIT sessions a week.

Incidentally, as part of a very random gym day I did a 250m sprint on an erg. My brother and his friend were there (both rowing coaches) to rip my technique to shreds. Despite my first attempt involving me falling off (??!), I got 40.3 seconds, thoroughly beating my brother ;) Apparently I made some fairly basic technical mistakes which made me slower. With this victory I shall retire before he challenges me to any sort of distance row...

Permabanned
Saw a doctor who was happy to refer me.

Got a letter in the post today saying that I have a referral to the Physiotheraphy central registration for the spiner service (??????).

I will be contacted in due course. Any ideas of the time scale involved?

Anyone?

Soldato
I do a set of complexes to warm up before each workout, occasionally 10 minutes of HIIT on the rower, though far less now I'm working full time. And the odd bit of mobility stuff, I guess I can thank you for that!

Proper HIIT should nigh on kill you, try harder :D

I had a great gym session yesterday. Chest and Tri's turned into Battlefield 3 from 1800-2300.........

I suppose my fingers got one hell of a session.

:(

Man of Honour
Proper HIIT should nigh on kill you, try harder :D

I had a great gym session yesterday. Chest and Tri's turned into Battlefield 3 from 1800-2300.........

I suppose my fingers got one hell of a session.

:(

That is one reason I'm happy I'm no longer really a gamer, if I was still playing CSS at the level I used to I'd never make the gym :D

Soldato
Incidentally, as part of a very random gym day I did a 250m sprint on an erg. My brother and his friend were there (both rowing coaches) to rip my technique to shreds. Despite my first attempt involving me falling off (??!), I got 40.3 seconds, thoroughly beating my brother ;) Apparently I made some fairly basic technical mistakes which made me slower. With this victory I shall retire before he challenges me to any sort of distance row...

Good effort. :p

You often find that big guys (rugby players, powerlifters etc) are quicker on an erg over short distances than proper rowers. As you said, don't expect to beat them over distance, or in a real boat.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom