*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Will keep doing the knee stretches :) And the glute ones

I believe i'm doing them romanian style, as I find it uses the right muscles more for me...But i'll try swapping them after Squats, see what happens.

My leg day consists of:

SLDL's
Squats
Leg extensions*
Leg raises*
Calve raises

*The above two are using an attachment on the end of a bench like this:

prd7baded901c7b424d9d87.jpg

Works well for me at the moment.

I've tried lunges prior using a barbell, nearly went through the window :o I'll have to look up some of the other exercises, never even heard of them :p

And no, don't play any sports. Oly thing I used to do on a daily basis was Skateboard, but that seems to have just screwed my knees up among other things (which is a different story ;))

I'm not even sure what this word means, but it's scary :p
;) proprioception means body awareness/control. It's generally worse in people who don't do sports, but in some people it's naturally better than others.

It might be worth you looking into some plyometrics or a sport which involves explosive movement.

Try the leg routine I suggested, although do lunges with DBs. Isolating your hams and quads with leg curls and extensions won't help you at this point.

And Jestar, that's my philosophy too. Strength > aesthetics for me, but not to the extent that lose all definition.

Caporegime
;) proprioception means body awareness/control. It's generally worse in people who don't do sports, but in some people it's naturally better than others.

It might be worth you looking into some plyometrics or a sport which involves explosive movement.

Try the leg routine I suggested, although do lunges with DBs. Isolating your hams and quads with leg curls and extensions won't help you at this point.

And Jestar, that's my philosophy too. Strength > aesthetics for me, but not to the extent that lose all definition.

Thanks again Ice.

In all honesty, I can't even walk in a straight line anymore :o
Probably a combination of my Tinnitus and eyes going wacky. Love it

Will try the leg routine next week, only reason I do the extensions etc is because they actually work my quads to failure, squats I end up gassing out elsewhere before they're worked properly.

Soldato
Regarding the size v. strength argument.

Well I'd rather weigh 13 stone and able to squat 120 kg than be 10 stone and able to squat 220kg. Why is this? Being able to lift uber amounts will not make me feel as good having a bit more mass, it's as simple as that tbh. 13 stone is hardly huge anyway, it's skinny in some people's eyes.

It's all pretty irrelevant at the stage I am currently at anyway, having hardly any muscle means that anything I do is going to increase mass and strength for a good while yet.

Man of Honour
Thanks again Ice.

In all honesty, I can't even walk in a straight line anymore :o
Probably a combination of my Tinnitus and eyes going wacky. Love it

Will try the leg routine next week, only reason I do the extensions etc is because they actually work my quads to failure, squats I end up gassing out elsewhere before they're worked properly.
Your coordination will improve if you challenge yourself. Maybe take up something like squash, or even something as simple as doing 30 bodyweight reverse lunges every day. You will fall over, but you'll get better in time.

Reverse lunges will work your quads, just remember to squeeze your glutes and air hump on the way up here too.

sigma, I understand your point (although squatting 220kg at 10 stone would be awesome). For me the progression from totally untrained to putting on mass might look something like form and conditioning ---> strength ---> mass

Soldato
sigma, I understand your point (although squatting 220kg at 10 stone would be awesome). For me the progression from totally untrained to putting on mass might look something like form and conditioning ---> strength ---> mass

Perhaps my views will change as I continue on this path? At the moment I see no benefit in being able to lift huge amounts, where has gaining more mass would make me feel happier on the beach or whatever. Strength is important, just not as important, at this moment in time (says the weak man :p). I'd rather have a strong core too.

Soldato
Legs tonight, but had to put it off until 9pm. Was going to go off work but spent most the day doing a yard inspection of some pipe with it snowing and around freezing, then went to tescp, bought and ate about 3 tonnes of chicken and a praline cake thing. I still feel sick and that was eaten around 3pm.

Nomnomnom power for de legs!

Might try and get some vids as my pelvis is a complete bender and has a mind of it's own and I need icecold to massage him into line! :eel::D

Soldato
It's not how much you lift, it's how much you look like you lift :p (not entirely my point of view, but its close(for now ;)))

THE GYM IS SO WEIRD! Monday i had such an awful session i came home after 20 mins, today i was ridiculously pumped up and spent an hour and a half in there without even realising :o
Took your advice icecold and didn't dl/squat. Did an upper body workout consisting of..... pullups, standing press, seated db press, incline db press, front side rear delt super set(love this :p), weighted dips, rope pulldowns, BB curl drop sets and some concentration curls.

This is what i currently feel like
IX5al.jpg

I did take some pictures but it was with one of those keyring cams, it takes decent vids but the photos consist of about 9 pixels :(

Caporegime
Your coordination will improve if you challenge yourself. Maybe take up something like squash, or even something as simple as doing 30 bodyweight reverse lunges every day. You will fall over, but you'll get better in time.

Reverse lunges will work your quads, just remember to squeeze your glutes and air hump on the way up here too.

As usual, can't do anything involving money, so i'll take up reverse lunges as a leg exercise I guess :)

Many thanks again, the help is appreciated...Heh, I fall over just standing still (no joke...my eyes go loopy and I collapse) will be fun when i've got a barbell on my back full of weight.

Man of Honour
Might try and get some vids as my pelvis is a complete bender and has a mind of it's own and I need icecold to massage him into line! :eel::D
vomit.jpg

;)
It's not how much you lift, it's how much you look like you lift :p (not entirely my point of view, but its close(for now ;)))
<to self>...at least he squats...deep breaths...

:D
As usual, can't do anything involving money, so i'll take up reverse lunges as a leg exercise I guess :)

Many thanks again, the help is appreciated...Heh, I fall over just standing still (no joke...my eyes go loopy and I collapse) will be fun when i've got a barbell on my back full of weight.
Plyometrics are free too :) have a google for some basic bodyweight routines.

Also, just to hammer the point home, body weight lunges can be done every day.

Today's gyming (gymning? gymming??)

Box squats 5x3x142.5kg legs were still DOMsy from saturday so this wasn't pleasant. Once I'd loosened up they were nice and speedy though

Bench 6x4x105kg bar I was using has rings in a different position :mad: realised on 5th set :rolleyes:

Single arm DB row 3x8x40kg

Dips 5x20kg, 5x40kg, 5x60kg, 5x60kg, 4x60kg damn you last rep! Not sure if I'll increase next week... Felt pretty cool to rep out with 3 plates :)

Pull throughs some warmups and then 3x8xstack (~90kg) on the cable machine. Pretty easy, which is annoying as there's no way of adding more weight to the stack

Chins with an 8 second pause at the top of the last rep 3x5. Just for fun really

...then LOADS of soft tissue/mobility work. Ploughed through anterior hip, quads, pecs, anterior shoulder. Next time I'll get lats, rear of shoulder, glutes and hammies.

Soldato
Icecold, would you be able to spec me a 2-day split please? I believe I am at the 'hypertrophy' stage that WantoN recommended after 'strength', having completed conditioning already.

Woke up today with pretty sore upper back/neck :( think I slept funny and coupled with some DOMS from yesterday, it is not very comfortable at all! Any major movement causes discomfort. :\

Caporegime
Plyometrics are free too :) have a google for some basic bodyweight routines.

Also, just to hammer the point home, body weight lunges can be done every day.

Thanks again, need to go through all your previous messages and right everything down now! :)

Taaa

Yesterday was chest...It was a weird session, I like to leave the gym with some fatigue kicking in on my chest, damn tri's always keel over first though.

Did decline flys and presses (at 7.5kg each) which felt nice for once, still doesn't feel like it's hitting the right areas though, I want to start seeing some nice development on my body for once. No, the weight isn't high, but I don't have the best of shoulders sadly.

Bench seems to hit them more for some reason :o

Did some dips for 2x8 and 1x10 at BW, again, tri's getting destroyed. Ended up doing sissy push ups just to finish me off. Oh and some Tri-extensions.

Soldato
i felt a little bit smug last night squatting the heaviest i've done since my deload to start stronglifts, when i looked in the mirror and saw every other person in the gym performing some kind of bicep curl

Soldato
Canny session last night. Lower back is a bit mashed, so was meant to be doing deadlifts and squats, but decided to substitute them with pull ups and leg press:

Overhead Press: 45kg 5x5
Leg Press: 180kg 5x5
*Supersetted together

Dips: BW + 15kg 5x5
Rear Raises: 7kg 5x5
*Supersetted together

Wide Grip Pull Ups: 3x5, then fourth set was 4 reps + 1 negative

Clean & Push Press: 50kg 5 reps, 3 reps - failed on 4th rep but was so tired I didn't care :)

So it wasn't a planned session, but good and strong \o/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom