*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Sounds awesome Monkee :)

I really like Clean and push press, just feels so awesome! Think I managed 40kg the other day, soon knackers you though :o

@Saytan
Oh dear!!! Bicep monkeys! :p Maybe they were just finishing off their session? ;)

Soldato
i felt a little bit smug last night squatting the heaviest i've done since my deload to start stronglifts, when i looked in the mirror and saw every other person in the gym performing some kind of bicep curl

Were they all in the squat racks too? :p DOMS have finally eased off, so hoping to get some squatting in tonight, although still only doing 110kg at the moment for 4x5 (Doing part of Stronglifts).

Soldato
i dream of a gym with multiple squat racks

i did have to chase a guy doing dumbell curls out of the rack
Had a weird image of you throwing plates at him to get him out.. :eek:
Least you're on triple figures :p

It took a lot of effort, has to down a lot to get my form right as I didn't realise that I was doing 1/4 Squat and getting countless injuries :(, so was determined to atleast go parallel! Dont half pay for it, the rest of the week though :p

Soldato
Post it up matey :) I have a 2 day split that I use (A and B workout) which I do mon/wed/fri, you after that sorta thing?

Current routine is:

Push / Pull + Arms
DB Bench Press - 4 x 9 - 12
Bent Over Row - 4 x 9 - 12
Dips - 3 x 9 - 12
Assisted Pullups - 3 x 9 - 12
Chest Flies - 3 x 9 - 12
Back Flies - 3 x 9 - 12
BB Bicep Curl - 4 x 9 - 12
Close Grip Smith Tri Press - 4 x 9 - 12

Legs and Shoulders
Squat - 4 x 9 - 12
Bulgarian Squat / Walking Lunge - 3 x 9 - 12
Leg Press - 3 x 9 - 12
Single Leg Press - 3 x 9 - 12
Leg Extension - 3 x 9 - 12
Seated Dumbell Press - 4 x 9 - 12
Standing Lateral Flies - 3 x 9 - 12

Although I don't do all of the exercises all of the time.

It was suggested to do the above for around 6 weeks then 'hypertrophy' consisting of:

Hypertrophy : 12 - 24 weeks

3 - 4 x 6 - 12.

3 / 4 day split, + one day conditioning.

I can't do a 3/4 day split though so need some advice on how to do it over 2 days and which exercises to do. I can only go in on Weds and Fri although I can do some basics and skipping at home if needed.

Caporegime
Get a ball on the back area if you can, may loosen some tightness, I won't advise anything on the neck incase you hurt something :p

I'd be doing deadlifts, regardless...My life would be empty without deads :(

Soldato
I'd have thought 8 - 12 rep range would be targeting hypotrophy anyway. 3 sets of 8 or 10 is what I normally do for hypotrophy, so I don't see a problem with continuing what you're doing........? Are you seeing gains?

Caporegime
I'd have thought 8 - 12 rep range would be targeting hypotrophy anyway. 3 sets of 8 or 10 is what I normally do for hypotrophy, so I don't see a problem with continuing what you're doing........? Are you seeing gains?

8-12? I always work on that basis....Should I be trying to do more sets but less reps then? Like 5x5's or something

I hate deadlifts.

Why?

Soldato

Like I said, I have no idea tbh :( No time to read up about it either, so was just going by what WantoN has written, shame he doesn't frequent SA that often, hopefully Icecold or someone will explain why though. Yes I am seeing gains but the reason why I want to change it is... well it's best if I find the exact post...

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=19984530&postcount=37

and

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=19984651&postcount=39

My form was all wrong and I don't quite fancy ruining my back for the sake of it. Just don't like the movement of the exercise. I know it's important but I'm not going to do them if I can help it. I await the outcry....

Last edited:
Soldato
8-12? I always work on that basis....Should I be trying to do more sets but less reps then? Like 5x5's or something

Hypertrophy is widely accepted to help put on mass (grow in size), 5x5 routines are focused around increasing strength but not as much size. So depends what you're after :)

Caporegime
Hypertrophy is widely accepted to help put on mass (grow in size), 5x5 routines are focused around increasing strength but not as much size. So depends what you're after :)

Fair game.

Well it's been mentioned I should perhaps focus on strength for now, and get gains that way, then work on size once strength has gone up.

I'm currently doing 3x8 on most exercises at the moment, and i'm going to work the weight up till it's 'tough', and work at those for a bit, and carry on.

My form was all wrong and I don't quite fancy ruining my back for the sake of it. Just don't like the movement of the exercise. I know it's important but I'm not going to do them if I can help it. I await the outcry....

Fair enough, just work on a lower weight then? Thing with deadlifts, is you can lift a heavy weight, and have terrible form without realising. So keep the weight low, and ask for form critique.

Soldato
Tbh, the thought of lifting anything today whilst sitting here in pain isn't exactly pleasant. :p

/plays sad violin

I edited my post to include the posts I was referring to, in case you missed it, MonkEe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom