*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Fair game.

Well it's been mentioned I should perhaps focus on strength for now, and get gains that way, then work on size once strength has gone up.

I'm currently doing 3x8 on most exercises at the moment, and i'm going to work the weight up till it's 'tough', and work at those for a bit, and carry on.

I'm finging 4 sets of 8-10reps is ideal for me at the moment and in 4 weeks weeks the visible muscle growth has been very obvious indeed. Plus I'm doing some sets of 7 in there and following some workout called FST-7.

Oh the pain!!!

Another thing, strength also seems to be going up well!

Caporegime
I'm finging 4 sets of 8-10reps is ideal for me at the moment and in 4 weeks weeks the visible muscle growth has been very obvious indeed. Plus I'm doing some sets of 7 in there and following some workout called FST-7.

Oh the pain!!!

Another thing, strength also seems to be going up well!

Hmm, thank you :)

I'll keep at it for a month or so, as i've only just started, just need to sort out the weights so they;'re taxing enough but not too heavy

Man of Honour
Current routine is:

Push / Pull + Arms
DB Bench Press - 4 x 9 - 12
Bent Over Row - 4 x 9 - 12
Dips - 3 x 9 - 12
Assisted Pullups - 3 x 9 - 12
Chest Flies - 3 x 9 - 12
Back Flies - 3 x 9 - 12
BB Bicep Curl - 4 x 9 - 12
Close Grip Smith Tri Press - 4 x 9 - 12

Legs and Shoulders
Squat - 4 x 9 - 12
Bulgarian Squat / Walking Lunge - 3 x 9 - 12
Leg Press - 3 x 9 - 12
Single Leg Press - 3 x 9 - 12
Leg Extension - 3 x 9 - 12
Seated Dumbell Press - 4 x 9 - 12
Standing Lateral Flies - 3 x 9 - 12

Although I don't do all of the exercises all of the time.

It was suggested to do the above for around 6 weeks then 'hypertrophy' consisting of:

I can't do a 3/4 day split though so need some advice on how to do it over 2 days and which exercises to do. I can only go in on Weds and Fri although I can do some basics and skipping at home if needed.
Phasing I would follow for someone like you would be: Conditioning 1, Strength, Hypertrophy, Conditioning 2.

This would look something like:

Conditioning 1 : 4 - 6 weeks
Cardio + higher rep weights circuits (2-3 x 15), full body.

Strength : 2 - 5 weeks
5 x 5 - Texas method. 3 days 5x5 + 1 day conditioning 1. I don't like 5 x 5 stronglifts, however the texas is awesome

Hypertrophy : 12 - 24 weeks
3 - 4 x 6 - 12. 3 / 4 day split, + one day conditioning 1.

Conditioning 2 - 6 weeks
One day 5 x 5, 3 - 4 days conditioning 2: Kettlebell complexes, interval / fartlek training.

I then would repeat the strength, hypertrophy, conditioning 2 phases as one cycle lasting . Aiming to beat previous phase performance each cycle by 10 - 30%. This cycle would last 24 - 41 weeks.

Ant :cool:

It doesn't look like you've been doing WantoN's program.

I don't think he ventures into this thread at all, I'd start a thread to get his attention.

Two days a week is going to be tricky. How long do you have per session? The Texas Method or something like Madcow 5x5 won't work in this configuration, so we need something a little different.

For strength I'd do something based around doing squats and bench on wednesday and deadlifts friday.

Hypertrophy is easier here, just do a full body A/B split. OR...we could do push/pull with squats and legs with push and deadlifts with pull. The second option would allow more volume because you'd only be hitting each body part once a week.

Let me know how long your sessions can be and which hypertrophic set up you'd prefer.

Soldato
It doesn't look like you've been doing WantoN's program.

I don't think he ventures into this thread at all, I'd start a thread to get his attention.

Two days a week is going to be tricky. How long do you have per session? The Texas Method or something like Madcow 5x5 won't work in this configuration, so we need something a little different.

For strength I'd do something based around doing squats and bench on wednesday and deadlifts friday.

Hypertrophy is easier here, just do a full body A/B split. OR...we could do push/pull with squats and legs with push and deadlifts with pull. The second option would allow more volume because you'd only be hitting each body part once a week.

Let me know how long your sessions can be and which hypertrophic set up you'd prefer.

I've not been very clear, apologies. The 'Phasing' that he outlined was for someone else but I tagged along in the thread and asked for specific workout tailored to my needs which he outlined as per my quote.

I don't mind any set up. Ideally I need to keep each session to an hour - I need the quickest option. I'm quite happy to go with what ever you suggest, don't really feel like starting a new thread. :)

Ideally without deads but if they fit in the routine I will (begrudgingly) do them.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Thing is, you're already doing a hypertrophy routine. A two day strength program would look very different from what you're currently doing.

Unless you have a specific problem with your routine, I'd stick with it. There aren't a huge number of different ways of doing a two day split with fairly short sessions.

Soldato
Yeah that's no bother! I am quite liking it tbh, my strength is going up and so is my mass and my fat is apparently reducing. Would you suggest putting deadlifts in?

The only reason I asked about a new routine is because it was said that it's good to mix up the routine every now and then. :) Guess that's not really possible with a two-day split?

Would it be wise to put in (forgot what they're called) things like clean presses? Are they called complexes?

Associate
Had an exceptionally terrible day at work today, didn't leave until two and a half hours after i was supposed to, and to top it all off i lost my bus pass somewhere....

Was planning on starting the gym in earnest beginning of next week but, **** it i have enough motivation to get up at 6am and go tomorrow morning....

However i plan on doing squats, which i have never actually done before, any tips.

i mean with regard to form etc

Soldato
Start with no bar, in fact you could do this now.

- Wide stance, legs wider than shoulder width
- Feet pointing slightly outward from parallel
- Arms straight and directly up in the air (not essential but it's somewhere to put them while you're not using a bar!)
- Slowly lower yourself down
- Don't arch your back over, try to keep the angle of your back constant throughout the movement
- Keep you knees wide (you might find yourself having to actively push them outward as they may naturally want to collapse inwards)
- Providing you have average flexibility, at the bottom of the rep you should be pretty much A2G (ass to ground), and it should be quite a natural, comfortable position that you can hold indefinitely (babies do it all the time remember)
- Launch yourself back up with purpose, no pussy footing about here!
- While it will be difficult at this stage, try to concentrate on using your glutes and hamstrings to drive your pelvis forward while your quads work on driving your body upwards

Good luck! Let us know how the squatting goes.

PAz

PAz

Soldato
Anyone got tips on "bigger/better" biceps? They seem to be the only things where I'm not seeing any gains :( My triceps seem to be doing quite well.

Are you a fool?? This is OCUK, the only response you will get is "OMG SQUAT! CURLS AND ISOLATION WORK IS FOR WEAK FAGZ BRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" ;)

Weighted chin ups
Heavy BB curls
Hammer curls

Soldato
Are you a fool?? This is OCUK, the only response you will get is "OMG SQUAT! CURLS AND ISOLATION WORK IS FOR WEAK FAGZ BRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" ;)

Weighted chin ups
Heavy BB curls
Hammer curls

Haha, I do squat my legs are still hurting from monday! :D

I'm struggling with chin ups, I'm currently weighing in at ~110kg I can get 6 max! :o

Soldato
I think at 110kg (unlean) your best bet is to go with heavy curls, but I tend to find biceps are very much a muscle that really come out the leaner you get. If you're carrying a fair bit of fat at 110kg, then perhaps your answer is to cut.

My bicep peak is canny at 78kg and that's without being particularly muscly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom