*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
It's not how much you lift, it's how much you look like you lift :p (not entirely my point of view, but its close(for now ;)))

I'd rather be stronger than I look. Function before vanity :)

My form was all wrong and I don't quite fancy ruining my back for the sake of it. Just don't like the movement of the exercise. I know it's important but I'm not going to do them if I can help it. I await the outcry....

Then use less weight, and nail the form.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Had a real tough time doing deadlifts today with doms all over my legs. The rest of my back workout was great, also did triceps including 100kg x 7 CGBP.

Man of Honour
Yeah that's no bother! I am quite liking it tbh, my strength is going up and so is my mass and my fat is apparently reducing. Would you suggest putting deadlifts in?

The only reason I asked about a new routine is because it was said that it's good to mix up the routine every now and then. :) Guess that's not really possible with a two-day split?

Would it be wise to put in (forgot what they're called) things like clean presses? Are they called complexes?
I'd definitely try to get the deads in, even if you work up from 40kg adding 5kg a week... assuming your gym has full sized 10kg plates.

Mixing up your routine can be good, but it's not essential. Complexes are groups of exercises performed in one big set, so I'm guessing you're thinking of power cleans and/or power clean and presses. They'd be good to do if you can fit them in.

:eek: Seriously considering about getting back into lifting again in the new year. I've been out of the game for over a year and a half roughly now, I regret ****ing thousands pounds up the wall on a home gym, wish I never done it! There is a Virgin Active Health Club just up the road from me with decent equipment, so I wont need a spotter as there will be smith machines.
The call of the iron is irresistible :cool:

Soldato
I'd definitely try to get the deads in, even if you work up from 40kg adding 5kg a week... assuming your gym has full sized 10kg plates.

Mixing up your routine can be good, but it's not essential. Complexes are groups of exercises performed in one big set, so I'm guessing you're thinking of power cleans and/or power clean and presses. They'd be good to do if you can fit them in.

My old gym didn't have have full sized 10kg plates but the new one does. Would it be best to do them before slow negative chin ups or afterwards?

Just looked at the form for cleans and it looks like a similar movement to deadlift to start it so I guess I will start with deads and go from there.

Associate
I'll be starting from scratch with a whole different attitude to lifting and eating thats for sure. I used to spend three plus hours for each session in the gym doing far more than I needed to do!
I'll be dedicating three days around deadlift, bench and squat. I know I've got it in me for a decent deadlift I nearly had 270 kilos in the bag at one point.

To be honest I was quite disappointed when you gave up lifting completely a while ago, I thought it was such a waste of awesome strength. But I kept quiet as I somehow respected your choice.

I'm really glad you decided to start again, the way I see it with the muscle memory and your ridiculous strength in the past you should be smashing all your previous records within 6 months of solid training. :)

Associate
Crazy.

I was wondering what exercises are good for building forearms? My forearms are quite pathetic..lol

And I think I posted this before but are dumbbell squats an ok replacement for barbell squats?

Caporegime
Did some speed work at 50% for squats and deadlifts last night and noticed two things. My squat speed was no different than it is for my heavy 3 rep sets but my deadlifts were coming up far quicker than I usually pull leading me to believe I'm not attacking my heavy sets as hard as I should.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
That or you may not have power low down - I find the hardest part of dead lifts is getting the weight off the floor only using my legs. I see too many people fail with the legs, the arse comes up and then lower back/glutes bring the weight up.

Soldato
Dr. thinks I have torn my meniscus in my left knee, which is extremely frustrating. Was in the middle of my bulk season and lifts were going great (+140% pull ups). This happened a couple weeks back now, and slowly getting back into just doing upper body, which is fine but can't go near as strong as have to be so careful with my knee :(
Anyone else had cartilage damage to their knee, recovery?
Keep up the good work chaps!

Soldato
That or you may not have power low down - I find the hardest part of dead lifts is getting the weight off the floor only using my legs. I see too many people fail with the legs, the arse comes up and then lower back/glutes bring the weight up.

I have as similar problem. Fact is, some people just have more power in the deadlift when they begin the movement with a back that's more parallel to the floor, i.e. getting close to SLDL. I am one of these people, absolutely love SLDL now despite hating them before. I'm beginning to do traditional deadlifts with a more upright back and exploding up from the ground to help involve the legs a bit more and build strength there.

Man of Honour
Go for it! Strongman is something I'd love to get into
It's not something I've really considered, but now there's an under 90kg class I can actually do the weights! It's obviously going to require some different training, need to think about that.

I should sort out doing another powerlifting comp before changing things up though. I'll have peaked by early Feb so I need to look and see what's available.
My old gym didn't have have full sized 10kg plates but the new one does. Would it be best to do them before slow negative chin ups or afterwards?

Just looked at the form for cleans and it looks like a similar movement to deadlift to start it so I guess I will start with deads and go from there.
Doing them before chins will give you more energy for your deads, but I think in terms of your priorities you should do your chins first.
Did some speed work at 50% for squats and deadlifts last night and noticed two things. My squat speed was no different than it is for my heavy 3 rep sets but my deadlifts were coming up far quicker than I usually pull leading me to believe I'm not attacking my heavy sets as hard as I should.
To me that would mean that I need to work on speed squats for a while.

With your deads, as has been mentioned by Lie and Mansize, it's probably that reducing the weight has allowed you to use your hips more effectively.

Still planning on going for some PBs next week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom