*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Arrive at the gym, if she's there loiter around the exit (make sure you are in plain view for this step), and catch her on the way out.
I actually thought about hanging on one of the seats at the bottom of the stairs to the gym floor but bottled it and just left :(

Right, next time I see her she's getting asked out! Third time lucky and all that...

Associate
I'll be joining Virgin Active in the new year then, £67 a month and their dumbbells only go up to 40 kilos how ****ing pussy is that. :(

All the VAs I've been to in London have DBs up to 60 - get on to the management and they may sort it out. When they got rid of the punchbag at my one it only took 2 months of hassling for them to get a new one :)

Soldato
All the VAs I've been to in London have DBs up to 60 - get on to the management and they may sort it out. When they got rid of the punchbag at my one it only took 2 months of hassling for them to get a new one :)
Believe me I'll be asking every week but thanks for the tip! :)

Man of Honour
8 Weeks training today and pretty good eating except from weekends where I tend to let mtself loose on pasta and some sweets and maybe an energy drink =P It is much easyer to contol my diet during the school week as im not sitting around bored. my diet is usally...

Training days (mon, wed, fri)

100g of oats + 1 scoup of mp max whey with water for brekkie.
lunch is usally a large chicken tikka/tandori harvester (brown bread)
before workout is same as brekkie except from 5g of creatine
after workout is 1 scoup of whey and 2 scoups of dextrose

Non trading days will be the same brekkie and lunch but dinner will usally be a stir fry/normal chicken and tatties with veg or pasta if I can't resist the temptation :(
but if I get really starving I will have a protein bar.

Been doing full body workouts so 5 exersizes for (chest, biceps, triceps, legs, abs ,back) usally as heavy as possable till failure, well 3 sets of 8 reps. I recently started doing squats and the deadlift 3 weeks agow and I love it! I love trying to beat my 1RM every week or so and thinking of getting into it more but fat is a problem :( I've lost a lot while doing this but I still want to lose more and get it down to 10-12% BF (have no idea what I am at the moment) I want the six pack but also the strength if thats possible? With this diet and the ammount of carbs I have been eating plus the time I've spent in the gym each session I have bulked up a fair bit but I don't think I have anywhere to come from as I took no directly before pictures and measurments only after...

Age 17
Weight: 69 Kg
Height 5,7"
Lowerarm 10.5" (In the middle between my wrist and elbow)
Upper arm 14"/14,1/2"
waist 33"
chest 40"
lower leg 15"
upper leg 22"

1RP

Bench 100Kg
squat 97.5 Kg (not retested in 2 weeks)
deadlift 145Kg (got this on friday from a little motovation from a friend then seen stars )

Any advice on my diet and tranning would be helpfull :) Want to get my bodyfat down while increasing my strength.
You shouldn't be going anywhere near your max every week. Is there a particular reason why you decided not to follow the outline I suggested?

Also, you seem to be supplementing too much carbohydrate and not enough protein.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
stiv I hope your using proper DL form, none of this arse in the air lower back/glute action I see all too often. I had to correct a seasoned lifter tonight on the DL, it was almost SLDL when he started getting the weight off the floor. Leg drive people leg drive!

Soldato
Thoughts on this routine for a three day split?

Monday

Chest:
Incline Smith Machine Bench Press
Smith Machine Bench Press
Pec Dec
Chest Dips
Biceps:
EZ Bar Curls
Concentration Curls
Forearms:
Reverse Grip Barbell Curls

Wednesday

Legs:
Squats
Deadlifts
Shoulders:
Standing Dumbbell Lateral Raise (sides)
Standing Dumbbell Lateral Raise (front)
Standing Military Press
Dumbbell Shrugs

Friday

Back:
Wide Grip Pull Ups
Close Grip Pull Downs
One Arm Dumbbell Rows
Good Mornings
T-Bar Rows
Triceps:
High Pulley Overhead Tricep Extensions
Skull crushers.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Nice Tank, the exact split I'm doing. Works really well.
Deadlifts and Squats on the same day? Brave man. I put deadlifts with back.

I bet he's back to doing it "his way" next week ;)

He was actually quite responsive to the input. I think having injured his back in the past doing deadlifts he was keen on having a stronger back position.

Thinking of picking up this belt from pullum, never used a belt before but man I could use it with the heavy deads and squats to keep things tight.

http://www.pullum-sports.co.uk/acce...ather-training-powerlifting-belt/prod_20.html

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Thoughts on this routine for a three day split?

Monday

Chest:
Pec Dec
Chest Dips
Biceps:
EZ Bar Curls
Concentration Curls
Forearms:

Wednesday

Legs:
Squats
Deadlifts
Shoulders:
Standing Military Press
Dumbbell Shrugs

Friday

Back:
Wide Grip Pull Ups
Close Grip Pull Downs
One Arm Dumbbell Rows
Good Mornings
T-Bar Rows
Triceps:
Skull crushers.

I know you're worried about safety, but I would avoid the smith. Squats are perfectly safe with a rack, and benching just requires asking the nearest random if you plan on going heavy that day. If you want a fresh start this is the way to go.

Apart from that I'd change the following: I'd dip before pec deck, do deads on back day, add SLDL and reverse DB lunges to your leg day, and military press before the raises.

I don't personally see the point of forearm isolation, unless you're an advanced bodybuilder. Gripping the barbell on deadlifts is enough for grip strength. Last time I checked I was good for 260kg and that was a year ago.

Man of Honour
Nice Tank, the exact split I'm doing. Works really well.
Deadlifts and Squats on the same day? Brave man. I put deadlifts with back.

He was actually quite responsive to the input. I think having injured his back in the past doing deadlifts he was keen on having a stronger back position.

Thinking of picking up this belt from pullum, never used a belt before but man I could use it with the heavy deads and squats to keep things tight.

http://www.pullum-sports.co.uk/acce...ather-training-powerlifting-belt/prod_20.html
If it means him doing less weight, I'll be surprised if he sticks with it.

The most recent guy I advised told me that he wanted to work his back more. He got his technique from watching videos from a big name bodybuilder (his name escapes me), and that my technique is for powerlifters like myself. I left him to it after that.

You might be able to get that exact belt for slightly cheaper from the rainforest place. It's worth going to the shop (think it's near-ish MK) if you think you can justify buying other stuff. I got a discount when I went, although I was buying the more expensive belts and various bands. Do you own wrist wraps? Worth a look with your bench being so big.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Funny you should mention wrist straps, I was just looking at some for the heavy bench press days. It can be a pain at times to keep the wrists straight. I also thought about using them when squatting because with my bad shoulder flexibility I can end up with my wrists bent back quite a bit.

I may pop to pullum on the weekend, like you said it's not far, only 35 minutes. Then I can try out various belts and get some wrist straps.

Man of Honour
Monday

Chest:
Pec Dec
Chest Dips
Biceps:
EZ Bar Curls
Concentration Curls
Forearms:

Wednesday

Legs:
Squats
Deadlifts
Shoulders:
Standing Military Press
Dumbbell Shrugs

Friday

Back:
Wide Grip Pull Ups
Close Grip Pull Downs
One Arm Dumbbell Rows
Good Mornings
T-Bar Rows
Triceps:
Skull crushers.

Is this better I wont budge on the smith machine for squatting though! Also this is the only Deadlifting form I do http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syt7A23YnpA.
I can't see what you've changed :o

This is the single deadlift instructional video I know of:

For your routine, I was thinking something like this:

Chest:
Incline Smith Machine Bench Press *ahem*;)
Smith
Machine Bench Press *ahem*;)
Chest Dips
Pec Dec

Biceps:
EZ Bar Curls
Concentration Curls
*removed*Forearms:
*removed*Reverse Grip Barbell Curls

Wednesday

Legs:
Squats
SLDL or RDL
Reverse DB lunge

Shoulders:
Standing Military Press
Dumbbell Shrugs

Friday

Back:
Deadlifts
Wide Grip Pull Ups
Close Grip Pull Downs
One Arm Dumbbell Rows
Good Mornings
T-Bar Rows
Triceps:
Skull crushers.

It's honestly worth it to squat without a smith. Start light and do it in a rack or over catchers. You get far better strength carry over to other things.
Funny you should mention wrist straps, I was just looking at some for the heavy bench press days. It can be a pain at times to keep the wrists straight. I also thought about using them when squatting because with my bad shoulder flexibility I can end up with my wrists bent back quite a bit.

I may pop to pullum on the weekend, like you said it's not far, only 35 minutes. Then I can try out various belts and get some wrist straps.
I have friends who use them for benching and squatting. In terms of powerlifting, you sometimes aren't allowed to have your thumb in the loop... for some reason.

Soldato
I can't see what you've changed :o
Sorry fixed it now, moved deadlifts to back day, only using smith machine for squats, shuffled a few exercises around that you suggested.

Monday

Chest:
Incline Bench Press
Bench Press
Chest Dips
Pec Dec

Biceps:
EZ Bar Curls
Concentration Curls

Forearms:

Wednesday

Legs:
Squats

Shoulders:
Standing Military Press
Dumbbell Shrugs

Friday

Back:

Wide Grip Pull Ups
Close Grip Pull Downs
Deadlifts
One Arm Dumbbell Rows
Good Mornings
T-Bar Rows

Triceps:
Skull crushers.

Is this better I wont budge on the smith machine for squatting though! Also this is the only Deadlifting form I do.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Don't touch belts they'll make your core weaker! I learned the hard way and had to strengthen it up again.

I'll only be using it for heavy squat or deadlift, so very close to my RM. For example I did 150kg x 3 on squat and managed it, but I would have preferred not have my core so over worked. It gets enough of beating working up the weight 100, 110, 130, 140 etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom