*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I'll only be using it for heavy squat or deadlift, so very close to my RM. For example I did 150kg x 3 on squat and managed it, but I would have preferred not have my core so over worked. It gets enough of beating working up the weight 100, 110, 130, 140 etc.
Personal best is alright.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Thanks, I had to completely start from scratch with my form a while back because I was doing it all wrong. I think for my BW I could be squatting more though.

Man of Honour
Sorry fixed it now, moved deadlifts to back day, only using smith machine for squats, shuffled a few exercises around that you suggested.
Ah that makes sense now, and yes that looks a lot better. Do you not want to do another leg exercise?

Agree with you about belts in general. Relying on them is a bad idea, using them to mask injuries is even worse. It is possible to use them safely though. I use mine above a certain 1rm% because I need to learn how to use it properly for comps, but then I do stability and core work too.

Man of Honour
That's why I suggested stiff leg deadlifts/romanian deadlifts (same muscles but better exercise compared to leg curls), and reverse DB lunges. Even with 40kg DBs reverse lunges will humble you.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
To complete today's diet photos here is dinner. It is different most nights and I have no idea of the nutritional values.

Chicken Thai Curry.

IMG_33.jpg

Associate
You shouldn't be going anywhere near your max every week. Is there a particular reason why you decided not to follow the outline I suggested?

Also, you seem to be supplementing too much carbohydrate and not enough protein.

Yeah I was doing what you suggested for two sessions but felt that what I was lifting was far to easy so upped the weight to 100kg for 5 reps @ 3 sets the next session and still felt I could do more so I seen my friend who has been training for a year, I was feeling pretty pumped after doing my chest and we had time to kill so we went for our 1 rep maxes on the DL and the bench after that =P. This is going to be a mixed up month for me as christmas is comming up and I've got a dance and a few parties to attend
but will be starting seriously at the start of january so I just wanna see what I can do.

My DL sessions aren't quite once a week tho I do monday DL, tue rest, wed squat, thur rest, fri DL and that changes each week so 2 squat sessions next week.

As for the carbs I was using the diet thing off the bundle I got from the MP website which wasn't really suited to my size and weight so I am maybe thinking about halfing that for a start?

Im sorry for going against your advice on not testing my 1RP so quickly but I will be using your advice wisley come the new year as your the ocuk guru and are very experenced at powerlifing, been reading through a lot of your posts to other people =P

Man of Honour
Yeah I was doing what you suggested for two sessions but felt that what I was lifting was far to easy so upped the weight to 100kg for 5 reps @ 3 sets the next session and still felt I could do more so I seen my friend who has been training for a year, I was feeling pretty pumped after doing my chest and we had time to kill so we went for our 1 rep maxes on the DL and the bench after that =P. This is going to be a mixed up month for me as christmas is comming up and I've got a dance and a few parties to attend
but will be starting seriously at the start of january so I just wanna see what I can do.

My DL sessions aren't quite once a week tho I do monday DL, tue rest, wed squat, thur rest, fri DL and that changes each week so 2 squat sessions next week.

As for the carbs I was using the diet thing off the bundle I got from the MP website which wasn't really suited to my size and weight so I am maybe thinking about halfing that for a start?

Im sorry for going against your advice on not testing my 1RP so quickly but I will be using your advice wisley come the new year as your the ocuk guru and are very experenced at powerlifing, been reading through a lot of your posts to other people =P
I'm not upset that you didn't follow my advice :)

I'm more concerned that you're making the very common beginners mistake of pushing things as hard as you can. For example, I'm doing a six week block of training where all of my reps are easy (for squat, bench and deadlift anyway). This means that I'll be able to lift more when I move onto heavier weights. Don't let your ego dictate what weight you put on the bar. It's far more impressive to lift more weight in slightly more time than it is to break yourself and stall your gains by rushing things.

Doing a sensible progression you may get 5-10% improvements over 6-9 weeks, where as if you rush things you may increase 5-10kg (note that I'm not saying %) in the first 4 of weeks and then stall for next several.

If you want to test your max properly before starting then that's fine, but consistently training near your max is a very bad idea for a beginner.
forgot my shoes this evening. Turns out i like squatting in bare feet.
Barefoot for life yo! :p

Soldato
How much do you bench/squat/dead? Didnt take my mate much longer than 8-10weeks of stronglifts to get ~150kg deadlift (although bw prob ~90k)

95 120 135 @ ~83 bw i think i was

haven't really trained for strength so i guess that's the problem. that coupled with my **** posture and quite weak core doesn't really give me a lot of confidence to try go heavier

Associate
Damn I hate being so weak! I look on these forums & BB forums and everyone benches insane weights compared to me. I'm 5'7 & 140 pounds, I have a naturally small frame and weak core which I feel is going to stop me getting near what I want to achieve.

I can barely bench 50kg at the moment :(. I hope one day I can bench 100kg..

What's a good weight to be at 5'7 do you think? Is there an article relating to something like this because I'm interested to see.

From looking around forums, people my height are normally "ripped" at about 150-160 with 10% bodyfat I think.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Damn I hate being so weak! I look on these forums & BB forums and everyone benches insane weights compared to me. I'm 5'7 & 140 pounds, I have a naturally small frame and weak core which I feel is going to stop me getting near what I want to achieve.

I can barely bench 50kg at the moment :(. I hope one day I can bench 100kg..

What's a good weight to be at 5'7 do you think? Is there an article relating to something like this because I'm interested to see.

From looking around forums, people my height are normally "ripped" at about 160-170 with 10% bodyfat pounds I think.
Often "naturally small frame" means "naturally don't eat very much" ;)
To complete today's diet photos here is dinner. It is different most nights and I have no idea of the nutritional values.

Chicken Thai Curry.

IMG_33.jpg
Nice forks

Associate
Nah I used to eat loads as a teenager but never put on weight or anything, I was just a bag of bones lol. Now I eat 2.5k - 3k calories a day, I'm gaining mass at a good rate but I was just wondering if we have our limits on how much muscle mass we can actually put on if you know what I mean. I don't know if I'll ever bench high numbers that's the thing, I feel like my body has it's limits!

Man of Honour
You probably weren't eating as much as you think when you were a teenager. Regardless, eating more and training well would have seen you put on mass.

Soldato
Nah I used to eat loads as a teenager but never put on weight or anything, I was just a bag of bones lol. Now I eat 2.5k - 3k calories a day, I'm gaining mass at a good rate but I was just wondering if we have our limits on how much muscle mass we can actually put on if you know what I mean. I don't know if I'll ever bench high numbers that's the thing, I feel like my body has it's limits!

Height in centimeters – 100 = upper limit of weight in kilograms in contest shape. (4% bf, lean as fuark)

So a lean 10% 170lbs would be pretty big for 5'8". That's natural ofcourse. I think 2lb a month first year, 1lb a month 2nd year and <1lb a month after that is about right. Assuming top tier diet/training.

Associate
going to brave the wind rain and cold ready for the gym opening at 6:30 in the morning.

Will mark me actually going to the gym for more than a day or two and then ditching it as i did last time.

I'm just quite nervous about people judging me based upon what i lift, as i expect it will be quite low.

I'm looking to go with
Bench
Dips
Bent over rows
Squats
Some tricep excersises like skullcrushers etc.
Maybe some chin/pull-ups
and some hanging leg raises

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom