*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I'll be visiting the local virgin active gym on Thursday to see if they have a power rack or its all over for me going there. Not as local but there is a Fitness First In Bognor Regis that I'll check out as well.

Got off the phone to both gyms Virgin Active don't have a power cage, but they do have a squat rack. Dumbbells only go up to 40 kilos lol. Fitness first are the same story but their dumbbells go up to 56 kilos yummy.

Last edited:
Soldato
Jeeze. That's dedication. Massive respect for this.

I don't go out that much, but still pop down to the pub probably once every two weeks....

kd

Lol theres no dedication to it, i simply don't have any money. And no desire to go 'out' because a) i'd rather save any money i do have to go drinking with mates from home and b) theres nowhere decent to go out

Associate
Thats the main thing really, i dont really have much of an idea how much i can lift, i guess it's just a matter of doing a couple of sets progressively up to my max/

Soldato
I'm just quite nervous about people judging me based upon what i lift, as i expect it will be quite low.
People will be to busy getting on with there own routines to worry about what you're getting up to. If anything people will mock you for poor form not for how little you lift. :)

Associate
I agree with Tank. I rarely go to the gym outside of work, but when I do I chuckle at the beginners lifting too much and then looking around the room for approval.

I would never laugh at someone trying really hard with good form even if the weight is a lot less than I do. Everyone starts somewhere and there will be people that can lift significantly more than I can. I wouldn't expect them to snigger at me for that reason.

On a similar note does anyone have any good routines for novices? I have been taking two guys up the gym with me in work. One is late 30's and the other early 20's. Guy in his late 30's is naturally quite strong and seems to respond well to the way I train and generally picks up everything very easily. The other in his 20's is smaller framed and struggles to progress with what I have given him so far. Although to be honest he doesn't follow instruction well and tends to ignore a lot of my advice now. But he is doing a HST routine with me at the moment and doesn't seem to be enjoying it much. He has increased his food intake and is eating enough to grow and has become quite a bit stronger and bigger, but he has been stalling now for a couple of months.

I think half the problem is he has madly in love with his fiancee and lacks any real motivation!

Soldato
Stronglifts said:
What The StrongLifts 5x5 Workout Tracker Does:
  • App will tell you how much weight to lift each StrongLifts 5x5 Workout
  • Easily record weight/set/reps achieved on StrongLifts 5x5
  • Auto-deload if you hit a plateau on one of your lifts
  • Keep track of bodyweight + dates of workout
  • View history of past workouts
  • Works in lb and kilograms
So you won't need to take pen and paper with you anymore to the gym... and the app will do most of the thinking for you so you can focus on the lifting. If you're an iPhone user: just make sure you use the airplane mode - this isn't an excuse to start picking up the phone when training.

stronglifts-5x5-app.jpg

Awesome, almost makes want an iOS device. Hopefully the Android version appears post haste!

Can't stop eating chocolate this week :( why do people keep bringing it in?!

Argh.

Iknowthatfeelbro.jpg. One of my colleagues wife's bakes cakes EVERY WEEK that he brings in. I'm not talking like little cupcakes or anything, they're giant 8" thick gateau's and such. It's tough!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom