*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Have to agree. Find a routine and stick to it. It'll take you months to build up something visible even then it might not be obvious. It takes YEARS. Calm down and get down to it an train hard and eat hard.

Caporegime
Wow, much hate :confused:

Merely asking questions, I've been doing flat bench since late July with some flat flys.

Just started a new routine and merely wanted some opinions on the chest exercises.

Thanks for the input though

Caporegime
It's not hate it's just every few days you seem to want to try something new or worry about your diet. Eat 3500 cals, pick a routine and see how you're doing in 3 months :p

I have been :)

Just asking the questions so I know for future reference, the bodybuilding game is a constant learning curve for me, so I like to know things should I wish to try them :)

P.S: How's the back?

Associate
Did some 45 second sets of hitting a tyre with a sledge.
Thats really damn hard going, and difficult in my off hand, I mean how on earth do you miss a tyre and hit the floor?

Man of Honour
I'm not going to do front squats as well as normal squats that'll drive me nuts, its one or the other!
Ok, but 25 reps of squats per week is not enough! Look at how much work you're giving the rest of your body, to then only put that much into your legs is criminal.

You haven't said why you won't do reverse DB lunges.
The shoulder isolation is because I want strong rotator cuffs.
Again, the shoulder isolation you are proposing will not help keep your rotator cuff healthy. I'm not sure where you got that idea from, even the traditionally "good" rotator cuff exercises don't include front and side raises. Also, rotator cuff exercises should not be performed in the same way as conventional exercises - going anywhere near high levels of resistance will cause the bigger shoulder muscles to take over.

Read this: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...formance_repair/pushups_face_pulls_and_shrugs

The most important aspect of shoulder health is shoulder positioning. Generally, people don't have shoulder problems because of a weak rotator cuff (although it plays a part), it's because of over doing "pushing" movements, usually with poor form, along with bad posture. This leaves the internal rotators of the shoulder tight which pulls the shoulder into bad positioning exacerbating the original problem. Catch 22. Yes, prioritising pulling movements and working on your external rotators can help, but once your shoulder complex (including your scapula, or shoulder blade) is out of position the problem is too far gone for this to be sufficient.

If you want some good exercises for shoulder health, ask.
Exercising my forearms to match my upper arms just makes sense as I'll look ****ing odd with big biceps and small forearms.
I don't do any direct work on either. My biceps aren't small and my forearms are pretty big comparatively. Peoples forearms end up small because they don't actually use their grip. The only thing I use straps on is power shrugs, but I'll let myself off considering that I'm bouncing 250+kg around for reps.

Think of it this way. Why would you spend time doing forearm isolation with tiny weights that have no practical use with anything to do with strength, when you could work your forearms for free by using your grip which is actually useful.
also whats the point of SLDL if I'm doing deadlifts?
Because they work in different ways, and are actually quite different. These, or romanian deads, are the best hamstring exercise going.
Should I skip the pec dec then?
It's fine to keep it as long as you think of it as a mass builder only.
From previous experience of using a leg press with well over 600 kilos on it I was hitting my hamstrings. I guess what works for some wont nessisarly work for others.
Great, but that only makes you strong on the leg press. I have a friend who moves silly weight around on a leg press but squats less than 150kg. I'm not saying don't use a leg press, but it does nothing for your core, so you don't actually get to transfer any of the power of in your legs to do anything useful. I certainly wouldn't go as far as to say it's an exercise only useful in bodybuilding, but it's less useful for strength than the other things I posted.

You need to work your stabiliser muscles. Why do you think that powerlifting or strongman doesn't involve things like leg pressing?

This is why I'm suggesting reverse DB lunges. For a man who's used to working on a smith machine, the shock to your stabilisers will benefit you greatly.
I guess what people need to grasp about me is I have only ever lifted for fun kind of thing and my focus was all on lifting big and not so much on the nutritional side of things, which I now know goes hand in hand.

I do want strength and endurance but wouldn't mind a bit of mass. I'm learning new things here but there is so much to take in.
I know, it can seem pretty complicated. It's important to fully understand your goals. When you say you want strength, what does this mean? Do you want to move big numbers on the leg press or bicep curls, or do you mean in terms of more practical usage such as strongman? If you want a bit of mass, then train for it.

Yep that's the one. Butcher your anterior delt where you're at it. Moving your arm around can expose different areas of tightness, in particular moving it into internal rotation (e.g. arm behind back) can reveal some nastiness.

Squatted on monday and felt ok, just a little weak in the core. No pbs this week though i guess.
Do you do any core work currently?

Caporegime
The only music I need in the gym is the sweet sound of blood rushing into my head as I strain like a mofo, that weird groan-y noise I make when straining, the clatter of weights when I re-rack/drop, and the swooning of the hot girls mirin me.

That last part might be a fib. :o

Soldato
I can't wear earphones in the gym I just get distracted by them - I just get on with it.

My gym plays complete total garbage that puts me off completely. have to have some angry music on.

Well, today was a session that may go down in history. New squat PB of 130kg and it's all thanks to this guy

(yes spy cam lol)

wasn't going to squat today as i still had some doms from monday but he made me so god damn angry after 20 minutes i thought i would make a point. he even sat on the bar and did db presses when there was a bench free right next to him :mad:

so yeah +10kg to my pb, although i did wear a belt for it and the 120kg beforehand :o my face was the colour of beetroot :)
went something like
8x70kg
5x90kg
2x110kg
1x120kg(b)
1x130kg(b)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Did you ask the guy to move? :p

In my gym sometimes it's simply the only option to do whatever you are doing in the squat rack due to limited floor space. Sometimes I have to occupy the squat rack to do deadlifts (not in the rack, but using the bar from the rack and stood so close to the front of the rack no one else can use it) or similar.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom