*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Yeah, I understand it can initially be difficult to know who to listen to. Even amongst the 'good' coaches, they'll all have slightly different methods.

I don't understand how a heel would be counter productive. Granted, putting plates under the heel is not ideal, but I never said it was. It's just a quick way for you to experience how squatting with a heel feels. It's a brief stepping stone towards proper shoes. I don't like squatting in normal trainers, but barefoot squatting is not better than squatting in WLing shoes. The whole barefoot/vibram squatting idea is a remnant from a few Crossfit coaches from a few years ago. The idea makes serious lifters and coaches cringe. As for barefoot vs normal trainers, I don't know which is better. Maybe barefoot. But I found using Converse Chuck Taylor's to be much better than barefoot, as you got a little lateral support (very little) and the rubber gave you some lateral grip which helps in the squat. There's a reason most serious lifters (and ALL oly weightlifters) wear WLing shoes. If they're not, they're usually wearing Chucks.

But for deadlifting, I essentially am doing it barefoot. I wear deadlift slippers when I pull.

No, you wouldn't necessarily feel a slight heel lift during the bottom part of a squat. Especially since it's only slight, and you're otherwise being distracted by the weight and movements of the squat itself. Your high reps had a planted heel, but then they were high. The deep reps, had the heel just coming up ever so slightly. It's not a massive issue, especially since you're squatting barefoot. Even the tiniest of a heel would take care of that.

With regards to knees coming forward, yes you can prevent it without topping backwards. You simply counteract it by leaning forward slightly, whilst maintaining a strong lower back arch and forward chest. Don't fold over, just a little bit of compensation. Like I said, just make sure you're keeping the bar over your mid-foot.

You don't sound defensive at all, mate. All is perfectly understandable. I was there too. :)

Some squat video tips I like:

Mark Rippetoe has several videos/series on squatting. He teaches a more general strength/powerlifting style of squat though, but I like it and use bits of it.

Glen Pendlay teaches a more weightlifting style. (EDIT: that's not Glen in the video, but that's his WLing team/gym)
I don't really agree with most of that, but other people have already covered it.

An example of a big lifter using vibrams:

A lot of people seem to have problems with barefoot training, but in reality, lifting shoes are often relied upon due to poor ankle ROM and poor hip and knee mechanics. I'd much rather fix these issues where possible. There are mechanical advantages to a heal lift in certain circumstances, but this is certainly not relevant to Delvis.

Man of Honour
Some of my brother's squats

And some of my goblets
Hmmm yeah I don't LOVE how my squat look there. Things are looking a lot cleaner now (might try and get a vid), it's been a simple case of making sure I had ROM options in my right ankle.

Damn you and your beautiful goblets though.

Associate
Hey guys, I need some advice

I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to solve this situation.

I go to the gym at my university. It cost £180 for the year and I wasn't once given a contract to sign or documents to read.

I received an e-mail today telling me that the weights room (squat racks, benches, etc) was to be closed every Tuesday from 16:00 - 19:00 until further notice. I strolled up there at 17:30 today just to see if it was really true.

Indeed the door said that the gym was closed - but it was due to it being used by the "talented athletes" group - worse is they weren't even using any of the equipment, they were just standing around talking.

I asked an employee there why this was the case and he said a private company had organised to use the room at this time - the time cannot be changed.

What I don't understand is firstly, why can't this be when it's not peak times? This is an incredibly busy gym and not allowing paying customers to use the facilities at this time clogs up the rest of the week's schedules.

and secondly, is this legal? Since I wasn't shown a contract, I can only assume that customers are not receiving what they've paid for and are being treated unequally compared to a private company.

I'll be sending the manager an email but I want to know if there are legal issues involved - if not, has anyone had anything similar to this happen?

Thanks guys

anyone?

Associate
Evening guys!

I've Just got myself a gym membership and now need to sort out some form of a routine, but I'm not sure what the best approach is. I like to do my workout before I go to work, so that's from 6:30-7:30am, it doesn't give me as much time as I would like but I absolutely hate the gym after work as it's packed out, plus I'm pretty tired from work.

Cutting to the chase, I need some advice on the best mixed workout sessions I could do with one hour (i.e. cardio & weights). My main goal at the moment is to loose weight, but I also want to tone/build muscle (increase my metabolism and all that) - are there websites that have pre-built workouts or would a gym buff mind listing a quick and easy routine I could go with. I'm not a great fan of free weights and tend to stick to cable/machine weights, but I'm more than happy to try out new methods.

Much appreciated!

Caporegime

it's a uni gym, therefore i doubt you will have a leg to stand on, they offer extremely cheap rates and most uni gym's and other services aren't run for profit but for the benefit of the students. they will just tell you to go elsewhere, they aren't going to stop giving it to a corporate company who probably rent it for several hundred pounds for every 3 hours so that students who only pay that for the year can use it.

universities like to get the most out of their assets and usually even outsource their employees (the lecturers) to business's as they are experts within their field.

it's only for 3 hours, once a week, the uni will rather be paid several hundred pound more a week, than the number of members it is likely to lose which will probably be none, because the service hasn't changed much at all tbh.

it's 1 day a week, man up and use that as a rest day or go at a different time, 7pm sounds ideal or early in the morning.

Associate
Perhaps look at doing Starting Strength and follow the Lean Gains IF (intermittent fasting) diet principles :)

That Lean Gains website is fantastic! It answers pretty much anything I can think of asking. BCAA seems like a must have if I'm going to take the diet seriously, I'll have to invest in some then. You got any preferences LiE?

Associate
I don't really agree with most of that, but other people have already covered it.

An example of a big lifter using vibrams:

A lot of people seem to have problems with barefoot training, but in reality, lifting shoes are often relied upon due to poor ankle ROM and poor hip and knee mechanics. I'd much rather fix these issues where possible. There are mechanical advantages to a heal lift in certain circumstances, but this is certainly not relevant to Delvis.

There are always exceptions. Lots of big strong guys have lifted some big strong numbers in Chucks (and barefoot). Apart from cost, there really aren't many (any?) good arguments against them, unless you've tried them and can't get on with them.

For most people, a heel will offer mechanical advantages, but maybe not universally. I squatted my first year in Chucks and never had problems with depth or ankle ROM. I switched to WLing shoes to bring in a little more quad involvement as I squat low-bar. First session with them I had significant quad DOMS. But in general, a WLing shoe just 'feels' better, more solid and stable than with any other shoe or lack thereof. Your mileage may vary.

Man of Honour
Delvis,

Looks good - good arch on the back, core looks tight. Depth looks good too. Looks like you might have a little tightness in the glutes or adductors? icecold will be able to tell better than me. You're not tucking in too much. However I'd suggest some piriformis mobility and some adductor work too - just seems to be a bit of tightness at the bottom of the rep.

As for squat or powerlifting shoes - anything that alters the muscle length or shifts the pelvic floor is a no no in my book. Ergo, barefoot is the way to go. Why cover a symptom, fix it.

Associate
Hmmm yeah I don't LOVE how my squat look there. Things are looking a lot cleaner now (might try and get a vid), it's been a simple case of making sure I had ROM options in my right ankle.

Damn you and your beautiful goblets though.

Really? Those are the videos that we took the other week . . . :)

Caporegime
Delvis,

Looks good - good arch on the back, core looks tight. Depth looks good too. Looks like you might have a little tightness in the glutes or adductors? icecold will be able to tell better than me. You're not tucking in too much. However I'd suggest some piriformis mobility and some adductor work too - just seems to be a bit of tightness at the bottom of the rep.

Thanks matey

Aye certainly some tightness somewhere, been working on the hips lately if thats the correct area to mention...Will look up those other words you just mentioned :p

I think I certainly need to move to a four day split at some point...Got some serious lower back pump due to supersetting shoulders in between sets (not the squats) hopefully not buggered anything

Associate
I was going to get some xtend last time I ordered but I found a bag of MP's BCAAs at the back of the cupboard so I now have more than 500g to power my way through :(

Associate
I was going to get some xtend last time I ordered but I found a bag of MP's BCAAs at the back of the cupboard so I now have more than 500g to power my way through :(

orange squash is your friend.
I mix it in a 0.5 coke bottle and leave it for a while to settle - barely tastes any different than squash.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom