*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Last nights session was good. Still trying to nail form, it's getting there. Squat felt really good and got them all done quite quickly, bench felt fine and deads were a little sloppy because I was tired by the time I got to them. Grip was fine though.

Squats 7x5x140
Bench 7x6x85
Deads 7x5x157.5

Video!
I like the squat, although I might need to go a little lower to be completely safe. It could just be the angle though as it's seemed fine before. Speed is decent considering it was the fifth set. Didn't think to get a video of my bench. Deadlift is from set 6, so I'm pretty tired. Speed is nice, hips rise too early on the second rep. If I'd slowed down a bit between reps it probably would have been fine, but as I said I was tired so rushing slightly. Oh, and if you're wondering why I'm flicking my knees out between reps I'm just making some adjustments due to my undershorts :o

Man of Honour
It's a habit I've gotten into from using proper bumper plates, probably shouldn't do it really. The gym is in a basement though so it's not going to damage anything, and if the plates brake they just need better plates! ;) I also don't like lowering to a deficit, slight as it is in this situation (just under 2cm irrc).

Soldato
Last nights session was good. Still trying to nail form, it's getting there. Squat felt really good and got them all done quite quickly, bench felt fine and deads were a little sloppy because I was tired by the time I got to them. Grip was fine though.

Squats 7x5x140
Bench 7x6x85
Deads 7x5x157.5

<snip>

haha, I have a really similar set of movements before doing a deadlift.

Out of interest, lowering the bar like that rapidly, is that safe? I tend to go down slowly but I wonder if that's the cause of some of my problems in my lower back. I heard someone in the gym the other day talking about how you should just "let the bar go" but that kinda scares me!

Associate
I do a controlled "drop". Hands stay on the bar at all times. Initially down at a regular pace, then let it accelerate on the way down. Literally letting go and dropping the bar will get you disqualified in a comp.

Man of Honour
haha, I have a really similar set of movements before doing a deadlift.

Out of interest, lowering the bar like that rapidly, is that safe? I tend to go down slowly but I wonder if that's the cause of some of my problems in my lower back. I heard someone in the gym the other day talking about how you should just "let the bar go" but that kinda scares me!
Yep, load ordering for the win!

Dropping the bar is safe, provided that you're not overextending so the bar would lands on your knees. Problems can occur when you try and lower the bar slowly but don't reverse the movement properly causing your lumbar spine to bend. Break at hips ---> RDL to just below knee ---> controlled drop to floor.

Ideally I'd do this with every rep, but I lose interest with high volume stuff :) For some people the eccentric movement is useful (bodybuilders in particular), but for the type of training I'm doing it isn't as important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom