*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Still waiting on powerhousefitness to deliver my stuff. Heard some bad feedback about them but was hoping it wouldn't turn out to be like that. Told me it was going to be delivered on Friday between 9 and 6 but was in the entire day and nothing came. Neither Saturday.

I don't mind if it turns up on Monday or Tuesday but their customer service is really shocking. Especially when the email made a point of saying if I missed the delivery there could be a charge! Kind of thought that meant it would nailed on to come on Friday.

Soldato
Delvis - Judging by your video, you do not push yourself hard enough mate!

Looking forward to chest day, guna try maxing for the first time since starting my 3x 6-8 routine.

Caporegime
Delvis - Judging by your video, you do not push yourself hard enough mate!

Just working the weights up buddy, yes I could do more, but theres no point in jumping 10kg or something each session if you get what I mean...Just building strength up :)

I basically do 3x8 on most exercises, then the weight goes up each week by 2.5KG.

Deadlifts probably could go up quicker, but I don't want to compromise form. Squats are getting harder, going to have to try and use the make shift catchers soon I think....Bench is almost at a point where I can't do the final set. I'm just a weakling it seems :o :p

Soldato
What happened to lifting at your max and working each session/week to beat it and progress?

Personally i don't see how you expect to progress spending ages lifting weights that are relatively easy. Sure working on your form is fine but it's not like your form is going to suddenly break by adding 10kg to the bar instead of 2.5kg. How many weeks are you gonna have to spend adding 2.5kg a time before you reach your 3x8 max? You said your 1RM was 110kg right? Well that would make your 8 rep something like 90kg? So another 5 weeks of lifting easy enough weights before you start to push to beat it?

Maybe i'm wrong and what you're doing is fine but you just don't look like you are working that hard there :o

Soldato
small progressive increases are all very well and good, but programs that use them have you completing the exercises more frequently.

Take SL5x5 for example. you add 2.5kg per session to your squat, the difference being that you squat 3 times a week. you deadlift less frequently, so add 5kg per session on that one...

Man of Honour
Hips lower...Okay :p This is where I get confused, because a page ago everyone was saying have your hips higher :o Will defo tuck the chin down though more.
I'm pretty sure people weren't telling you specifically to have your hips higher!
What does everyone think of using a trap bar rather than straight bar for deadlifts? For the past couple of months all I've used is the trap bar but recently I tried doing straight bar deadlifts and I've noticed I can lift no where near as much as I can with a trap bar. Would I be better using the straight bar for deadlifts rather than a trap bar?
Completely depends on your goals. Trap bar deads are great, but a mechanically different exercise.

Caporegime
Theoretically, each week is a new PB for me as I've never done those weights before for reps / sets...When I started in July, I just used to try and beat my PB each session, and not do any 'sets' so to speak.

For instance, this is me in July
This is me now

As you can see, strength is completely different.

Maybe I should just jump to 90KG on DL's and try and do 3x8, but I know my strength won't be up to it as much as it should be if I slowly worked up to it.

I've never actually done any 'strength' training so to speak, it's only since Christmas I've actually had a set routine, so far I've not hit a plataue... If I had a Bench Press video I'd show you how close I am to failing, I'm practically at my max there, wheras on DL's I'm not...

I dunno, poundages are going up each week, so far this is working for me...I have an odd body, somehow I always injure myself one way or another if I just jump in to things (for instance my lower back in buggered right now...Just from supersetting squats with shoulders =/)...So maybe I've just become over cautious? :p Who knows

Either way, I've put on some mass since I started, and I've always found it hard to do that. Currently 94KG~, give or take a poo

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I think your routine is actually pretty good, but maybe on deads put the weight up 5kg a week, at least until you find where your max is.

edit: a) that isn't me :p
b) obviously it's different for everyone. You probably didn't have your hips as low as Monkee to begin with.

Last edited:
Soldato
small progressive increases are all very well and good, but programs that use them have you completing the exercises more frequently.

Take SL5x5 for example. you add 2.5kg per session to your squat, the difference being that you squat 3 times a week. you deadlift less frequently, so add 5kg per session on that one...

Same with HST, it just seems like an odd principle for a once a week session.

Obviously i wouldn't expect you to manage 3x8 for 90kg straight away but that's the point, just as an aim. Me now on dumbell bench, i managed 3x8 last session with 25kg dumbells, next session i'm going to use the 30s. Obvious i'll be aiming for something more like 6,5,4 or whatever, i dunno. But it seems more logical than say going back to the 20s and working up from there even if it's not my max.

If it works for you and you're progressing keep at it, i didn't realise you hadn't done these weights before.

Caporegime
I think your routine is actually pretty good, but maybe on deads put the weight up 5kg a week, at least until you find where your max is.

Fair enough. Will do :)

Friday will be interesting then!

EDIT: I think my issue is...I can fail on DL's and get away with it...Whereas on Squats I don't have any proper catchers...The same with the bench.

Caporegime
Same with HST, it just seems like an odd principle for a once a week session.

Obviously i wouldn't expect you to manage 3x8 for 90kg straight away but that's the point, just as an aim. Me now on dumbell bench, i managed 3x8 last session with 25kg dumbells, next session i'm going to use the 30s. Obvious i'll be aiming for something more like 6,5,4 or whatever, i dunno. But it seems more logical than say going back to the 20s and working up from there even if it's not my max.

If it works for you and you're progressing keep at it, i didn't realise you hadn't done these weights before.

Understand where you are coming from man, but yeah, as I said, never worked to a set routine before like this :) I'll be due for a change anyway soon, so may look at stronglifts or something?

See now, I'd rather get the reps that was planned for me...As opposed to doing 6/8, 5/8 etc...Maybe that's just me :p

Man of Honour
Caution with squats is understandable, but I do kind of agree with what was being said. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but some of your lifts just seem to be you going through the motions. You're supposed to be moving the weight as fast as possible (not necessarily on the negative), not just completing the ROM.

Caporegime
Caution with squats is understandable, but I do kind of agree with what was being said. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but some of your lifts just seem to be you going through the motions. You're supposed to be moving the weight as fast as possible (not necessarily on the negative), not just completing the ROM.

Not sure what you mean actually? Squats?

That's because I can't get the weight up any quicker! My legs are that pants, same with the bench

Man of Honour
The whole idea of you not seeming to push yourself on deadlifts. I'm saying I can understand you not wanting to get stuck under a bar on squats and bench, but you're being too cautious with deads.

Caporegime
The whole idea of you not seeming to push yourself on deadlifts. I'm saying I can understand you not wanting to get stuck under a bar on squats and bench, but you're being too cautious with deads.

Fair enough :)

As you said earlier, i'm going to up it by 5KG from now on then, until I hit a plataue...Makes sense really, considering my bench is almost maxed, and squats not far off.

Not sure what i'm doing next week with regards to training now, my lower backs got some issues from last monday, doesn't feel like a muscle pain either

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom