*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Got a foam roller after reading your mobility posture advice on here :) Been using it on my back only so far.

Will have a google for some info on what you mention, once again thanks.
Good man!

It's pretty simple to roll your tfl, a friend of mine was having the same issue yesterday and a quick 30 second roll made a difference. Longer is obviously going to produce better and more lasting results.

Soldato
Good man!

It's pretty simple to roll your tfl, a friend of mine was having the same issue yesterday and a quick 30 second roll made a difference. Longer is obviously going to produce better and more lasting results.

TFL is a tasty spot to hit :)

Just spent the last 10 mins humping the floor :p

Now when I squat down the feeling is gone, will be adding that to my nightly mobility workout.

Caporegime
Just tried to do a handstand (balancing using a wall) pfffft impossible!

What main muscle groups are used here, is there anything I can train for it to be possible to do this?

Not sure why I want to be able to do this, but I find it pretty impressive.

Soldato

What main muscle groups are used here, is there anything I can train for it to be possible to do this?

Coincidentally I did my first handstand ever, just last week.

Shouldn't take long before i can do a couple of pressups, but i can already strict press 75kg for 5

Which part are you finding hard. You really have to kick up with your legs hard, and make sure you have your arms firmly locked.

Soldato

A mate of mine has been doing gymnastics for a while and can handstand pretty well. Went round his to get handstand 101 and discovered it's way harder than it looks :D Uses some odd muscles that's for sure

Soldato
Hi Guys,
I posted a while ago asking for advice on the 5x5 programme etc and received some great help. Unfortunately I cannot quite afford to go to the gym at the moment so it is on the back burner for a while.

I have been receiving loads of help from Freefaller via email but I don't want to keep pestering him so I am hoping if people are willing they can help me also :)

Basically at the moment I am sorting my diet first and I am struggling a little to work out what kind of quantities I want to be having and so on.

Once that is sorted until I can get to the gym I will take advantage of the local park etc to do some long running and HIIT.

I am also going to sort out a small plan to do things like chin/sit/press ups.

So if anyone could get in touch with me regarding sorting out a plan for my diet firstly that would be fantastic :)

Thanks

Caporegime
Coincidentally I did my first handstand ever, just last week.

Shouldn't take long before i can do a couple of pressups, but i can already strict press 75kg for 5

Which part are you finding hard. You really have to kick up with your legs hard, and make sure you have your arms firmly locked.

Well I went up to headstand first and tried to push up and there is just not enough strength. I would love to be able to rep but I assume you would need crazy amount of shoulder strentgh. Seen as I rep 35-40kg on military press its going to be a while before thats even possible.

Handstand pushups are a bit better if you make yourself some parallettes. Not only do they let you do the full range of motion but it also eases the strain on your wrist.

Sorry a parallettes?

Soldato
Well I went up to headstand first and tried to push up and there is just not enough strength. I would love to be able to rep but I assume you would need crazy amount of shoulder strentgh. Seen as I rep 35-40kg on military press its going to be a while before thats even possible.

Don't try to push from a headstand. Lock your arms and kick up into a handstand. Practice just holding that for time. Then as you feel stable confident, practice negatives (might want to have a towel under your head).

Remember it's less ROM than a mil press.

Soldato
Hi Guys,
I posted a few weeks ago asking advice on the 5x5 stronglifts and received some great help. Unfortunately I cannot afford to go to the gym at the moment so it is on the back burner for a while.

I have been receiving loads of help from Freefaller via emailing but instead of pestering him all the time I am hoping if people are willing they can help me also :)

At the moment I am sorting my diet first and I am struggling to work out what quantities I want to be having and so on. I have an idea of what kind of food etc but some ideas on portion sizes/times to eat and so on. I am also wondering about how best to put protein shakes in my diet.

Once that is sorted until I can get to the gym I will take advantage of the local park and quiet roads to do some long running and HIIT.

I am also going to sort out a small plan to do things like chin/sit/press ups.

Also in a email discussion with Freefaller we talked about protein shakes, i have been looking at them and i am a little confused as to what type i want to go for as there seems to be many different brands/types.

So if anyone could get in touch with me regarding sorting out a plan for my diet and the shakes firstly that would be fantastic :)

Thanks

EDIT: I have just seen my post i did on my phone i thought had failed did post but on the previous page. Sorry for the double post.

Last edited:
Associate
Fair warning this is from my phone so will probs be a fail post.

The best way to figurevput what you ahould be eating is to calculate your bmr based upon your weight height and age.
this give you your bmr and also helps you to find your maintenance level which also allow you then calculate a good calorie surplus to help you put mass on.
After that you will be able to figure out your daily macronutrient needs (macros) this is the amount of protein fats and carbs in a day that yoi need to grpw this will help you hit the mass you want as calories aren't the be all and end all of evertyllything, a balanced diet is. you can tailor your foof inta ke to whatever you want and you don't have to hit your macros exaxtly, over shooting theml slightly wont impede your progress. it also means that you can hit your macros from almost any compilation of foods, however meals made from healthy whole foods will always be better due to micronutrient content, it means if you have to eat dirty or fancy a mcd's or something else it wont make or break the nutrional part of your training. as to protein shakes the easiest and first question would be do you need them?
As its possible a lot of the time to get your protein from food alone.

Caporegime
These look pretty good. Good speed, flat back. But definitely too light. Better to see what's happening under load. Are these actual work sets?

The only thing I see right now is to be careful when setting the bar back down that you get your knees out of the way so the bar goes straight back down. At the moment the bar is travelling around your knees and you may be putting the bar down a little bit more forward at the start of each next rep. And I can't tell from these vids, but is the bar in contact with your legs all the way up the pull?

They are work sets yes, I reset everything before Christmas, and upping the weight each session...So next week will be 80KG and so on.

Cheers though, will take note, I did feel the bar go on to my knee so yeah :o Will be more careful

Those are looking so much better! Good speed, and a little bit of aggression even!

For now, just think about starting the lift with your hips slightly lower, being aware of straightening your legs early, and tucking your chin.

Hips lower...Okay :p This is where I get confused, because a page ago everyone was saying have your hips higher :o Will defo tuck the chin down though more.

Agreed about Delvis' DL - looking good, and agreed with hips lower. I'd say probably try a bit more of an arch in the back, and shoulder need to be locked in more.

Aye, did try to pull my shoulders back more, will try harder next time :)

Just to add my opinion :). Looking really nice, as has been said legs are extending a little too early and personally you are looking up too much. Also try to get tension on the bar before you pull, a lot of people will set up really nicely then explode into the lift and just hit the barrier of connecting with the weight and break form. This is only happening a little but it is a good concept to keep in mind and I definitely think you can up the weight a bit, minimum of 85kg for that but obviously see how form does. Looking good though keep it up :).

I do try to get tension, probably had too much on my mind at that point :p Many thanks though buddy, will do better next time.

As said, weight is going up slowly each week, will see how far I go.

Delvis sexy deadlift, just need to RDL it more on the reverse.

Thanks dude :) Will do! It's hard really as theres an office below the gym, so can't really do the old drop weight scenario...

What's your 1RM?

That looks very comfortable. More weight!

Hehe! Yep, weights going on constantly atm :)

1RM about 3 months ago or so was 110KG...Couple of Reps though mind. Not tried since!

On a side note...My lower back is still giving me a bit of gip...Certainly did something to it last Monday =/

Man of Honour
Gym today wasn't too bad, pretty quiet on a Sunday morning so that was good, the main downside being the radio station was apparently doing a Whitney Houston tribute so playing a song by her every 15 minutes or so - happily I was only there for about 3 rotations of that.

Squats and bench were the main exercises today and both feeling reasonably comfortable so I'm happy with that.

Associate
What does everyone think of using a trap bar rather than straight bar for deadlifts? For the past couple of months all I've used is the trap bar but recently I tried doing straight bar deadlifts and I've noticed I can lift no where near as much as I can with a trap bar. Would I be better using the straight bar for deadlifts rather than a trap bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom