*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Theoretically, each week is a new PB for me as I've never done those weights before for reps / sets...When I started in July, I just used to try and beat my PB each session, and not do any 'sets' so to speak.

For instance, this is me in July
This is me now

As you can see, strength is completely different.

Maybe I should just jump to 90KG on DL's and try and do 3x8, but I know my strength won't be up to it as much as it should be if I slowly worked up to it.

I've never actually done any 'strength' training so to speak, it's only since Christmas I've actually had a set routine, so far I've not hit a plataue... If I had a Bench Press video I'd show you how close I am to failing, I'm practically at my max there, wheras on DL's I'm not...

I dunno, poundages are going up each week, so far this is working for me...I have an odd body, somehow I always injure myself one way or another if I just jump in to things (for instance my lower back in buggered right now...Just from supersetting squats with shoulders =/)...So maybe I've just become over cautious? :p Who knows

Either way, I've put on some mass since I started, and I've always found it hard to do that. Currently 94KG~, give or take a poo

I think this was covered already, but I haven't read every reply. I'll just add a +1 that you might be taking this a little too slowly. I did something similar, squatting 3 times a week. I added 2.5kg per session for a while, to over 130kg x 5 x 3. I'd stall a couple of times here and there, de-load a for a week, then blast past the sticking point. After 130-135kg, I would do a light Wednesday, so that I was only going up by 2.5kg on Mon and Fri. That was fine until around 140, then dropped it to 2.5kg a week. Those last couple of weeks doing that sort of progression is like torture. Every session ended with, "there's no ****ing way I'm going to be able to add another 2.5kg next session, no way!" But you just do.

After you've stalled and de-loaded a couple of times, it's time to move on to a more advanced routine where the progress is a little slower, and you need to think more carefully about your programming. Where you are strength wise at this stage, is different for everyone. But most average guys should make a damn good go at getting over 140kg doing this type of linear progression. This was one of my problems with SL and 5x5, the progress didn't seem to be as good for most people.

I'm all for improving technique, to a point. I guess I've just been lucky to not have too many issues with training. Sure, I've had minor stuff that requires a little down time, but these things happen in training, even to 'experts'. It doesn't always mean you need to restart your training from scratch and you've lost all your gains. A lot of the time there's no damn good reason as to why you're hurting; sometimes they come and go. As you become more experienced, you learn which pains you need to take seriously and what you need to do about them.

Oh and another thing, forget doing 3x8 on deadlift. Do 1 or 2 heavy sets for deadlifts. I liked either doing a single heavy set of 5 (that got me to 180) or a two or three sets of heavy triples (that got me to 200). You don't need much volume on deads in the beginning. Just do that once a week, and really push yourself.

I dunno, I'm rambling now. :D My main point is, you're leaving a lot behind and not bringing it to the bar. If you do this 'right', you should getting slightly scared just before approaching the bar. I used to sometimes have trouble sleeping the night before a big session. :D

Soldato
Really don't know if I mis-counted my sets, or I just did awesome at bench press this morning - got 5x5x5x5x3 with the 30kg dumbells, which is a lot better than the 5x5x3x2 I got last Friday! And this was after yesterday being spent massively hungover and not eating well.....!

Front squats at 87.5kg were challenging but do-able even with a bit of lower back strain (from sleeping on a wooden floor this weekend)!

Pull ups taking their time to improve; 5x5x5x4x4 at BW + 5kg, which isn't a big improvement over last week's 5x5x5x4x3!

Did some BORs for the first time in ages just "for the craic", and forgot just how light 35kg is, so ended up doing 3x10 for a bit of forearm pump \o/

Annoyingly, I'm getting on to quite heavy weights now and feel I need lots of food to push thru the sticking points, but I plan to start cutting on the 27th. Ironically as SMed just spoke about, I think I deloaded my weights too far when I started SL post-Christmas, will be interesting to see what gains I can make with 2000 kcals, Stronglifts and using IF to train!

Caporegime
I think this was covered already, but I haven't read every reply. I'll just add a +1 that you might be taking this a little too slowly. I did something similar, squatting 3 times a week. I added 2.5kg per session for a while, to over 130kg x 5 x 3. I'd stall a couple of times here and there, de-load a for a week, then blast past the sticking point. After 130-135kg, I would do a light Wednesday, so that I was only going up by 2.5kg on Mon and Fri. That was fine until around 140, then dropped it to 2.5kg a week. Those last couple of weeks doing that sort of progression is like torture. Every session ended with, "there's no ****ing way I'm going to be able to add another 2.5kg next session, no way!" But you just do.

After you've stalled and de-loaded a couple of times, it's time to move on to a more advanced routine where the progress is a little slower, and you need to think more carefully about your programming. Where you are strength wise at this stage, is different for everyone. But most average guys should make a damn good go at getting over 140kg doing this type of linear progression. This was one of my problems with SL and 5x5, the progress didn't seem to be as good for most people.

I'm all for improving technique, to a point. I guess I've just been lucky to not have too many issues with training. Sure, I've had minor stuff that requires a little down time, but these things happen in training, even to 'experts'. It doesn't always mean you need to restart your training from scratch and you've lost all your gains. A lot of the time there's no damn good reason as to why you're hurting; sometimes they come and go. As you become more experienced, you learn which pains you need to take seriously and what you need to do about them.

Oh and another thing, forget doing 3x8 on deadlift. Do 1 or 2 heavy sets for deadlifts. I liked either doing a single heavy set of 5 (that got me to 180) or a two or three sets of heavy triples (that got me to 200). You don't need much volume on deads in the beginning. Just do that once a week, and really push yourself.

I dunno, I'm rambling now. :D My main point is, you're leaving a lot behind and not bringing it to the bar. If you do this 'right', you should getting slightly scared just before approaching the bar. I used to sometimes have trouble sleeping the night before a big session. :D

Ta for the input.

Reason i'm keeping things linear is because every time in the past (since 2009) i've just 'gone for it' ive injured myself, and in all honesty i'd rather take it slowly and gain over time, after all ii'm in this for the long run hopefully.

At the end of the day, i'm making gains, poundages are going up. Yes, it probably could be done a better way no doubt, but it'd working for me currently.

Yes, i'm anal about form, but i'm not posting vids up every week? I just posted one from last weeks DL session just to see how things are getting on. As has been said, i'm going to up the DL weights by 5KG each session, not sure I want to do that on squats just yet for obvious reasons, because I'm starting to hit max for reps now as it is...That coupled with a lack of decent catchers I don't want to get stuck under the bar again.

Thanks again though dude, I appreciate the replys

Soldato
Can someone suggest a good strength routine for using whilst in a cut? I've been using SL's for a good 6 months now although I do a few more exercises.

Don't want to get weaker during my cut, and whilst I don't expect to make any sizeable gains, a good routine can only help the cause :) Happy to stick with SL if it makes sense to.

Man of Honour
You're not going to get weaker if you do it properly and stick to 8-10 reps of as much weight as you can manage in that rep range

A 5x5 routine is just pointless imo while cutting, I'd even go as far to say as it being pointless altogether unless you're specifically aiming for strength, or you want to push past a plateau, and even then, it should only be done for the exercise you're plateauing on

You built your physique using heavy weights and 8-10 or even 12 reps, why change that just because you're on a cut?

Soldato
I've been doing 5x5 for months now, tbh I'd love to get on to a new rep range, so maybe I'll give that a go. Would you recommend full body or iso work for a cut? Or again, do you not think it matters?

Man of Honour
I'd train exactly how you'd train during your bulk/non cut season

Last year, I can't think of any lifts that suffered because of my dieting. And it shouldn't do if you eat a decent cutting diet and supplement accordingly.

The mistake too many people make is assume, "Oh I'm cutting now, I need to drop the weights and increase the reps". That's just daft as the muscle will just adapt to the lower weights and won't need to be as big/strong, so you'll lose size that way. Like I said above, you built your physique using a certain training method, so stick to that. Don't change it just because your calories have changed

Caporegime
Back and bi session in half an hour :D

Decided I'm going to do wide arm pull ups, reading through T-Nation whilist at work is a bad idea :)

Is it worth doing forearm exercises or will forearms develop through normal routines? I assume the best kind of forearm exercises are ones which your grip is used a lot? I.E Overhand deadlifts?

I normally use mix grip, might be time to change the grip I use?

Man of Honour
If you have rubbish forearms, do isolation stuff at the end of your work out.

But I wouldn't bother and just work on using overhand grip on deadlifts :) and grip the bar like there's no tomorrow on all your exercises

Associate
Delivery came today finally but only the squat rack. Delivery slip suggested it was meant to come with with the Oly Bar and plates, which it didn't. Either that or they've no intention of sending me the weight bench I ordered. Starting to get a little frustrating now.

What to take from this? Never order from powerhousefitness.

Associate
Thanks for that, I've abouts a grands worth of stuff in my basket on their site. Noted.

To be fair, maybe I'm just really unlucky but I've read numerous accounts online about bad dealings with these guys. It's always in relation to communication more than anything. Their customer service is just down-right laughable. Maybe they treat customers spending £1000+ with a bit more dignity.

Caporegime
If you have rubbish forearms, do isolation stuff at the end of your work out.

But I wouldn't bother and just work on using overhand grip on deadlifts :) and grip the bar like there's no tomorrow on all your exercises

About as small as my arms are :p

I need to start doing more isolation on my arms too, too many articles saying not to and many saying to do so. I haven't really done much arms and they don't grow in proportion. So going to start doing more.

Any forearm exercises to do and any to avoid?

Deadlifts just now, so going to do purely overhand grip till my grip dies. :)

Man of Honour
Reverse grip bar curls, hammer curls, wrist curls

And arm isolation work is important. Yes you'll work them a lot with back work, but you don't have to work them on the same day. For example, if you did Chest/Biceps on Tuesday, then Back on Friday, nothing wrong with that.

The thing not to do is a crazy amount of sets, do about 10 sets, 12 max on bicep isolation stuff. And leave your ego at the door, do weights that you can concentrate on form with. Too heavy and you're going to swing, or bring your shoulders into it.

If you do biceps on a day separate to back, go for something like this:

Incline Curls 3x12
Hammer Curls 3x8
Preacher Curls 4x10

If you do them after back, just go for something like

Lying Hammer Curls 4x8
EZ Bar Curls 3x12
21's One Set

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom