*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
5 sessions too much? I would space them out so there's a break in the middle but getting to the gym at weekends has always been difficult. Is 44 getting to old for the heavier weights? Should I be reducing?

Maybe. Try just 3 sessions, the usual M-W-F? There are plenty of older people (50's) lifting heavy, but they all hurt as far as I'm aware.

Associate
5 days a week is fairly intense.
one of the things that I only recently realized unfortunately was the importance of deloading.

try a week of deloading and see how it goes.

If it's still nothing then give HST a go. a lot less DOM provoking but still very effective at building mass/strength.

dod

dod

Soldato
Do you think there's an age limit when to start slowing down a bit? I've been training for as long as i can remember. I'm 44 this month and my training is starting to hurt afterwards and I've started picking up silly injuries.

You're just a youngster ;)

I can give you about 5 years and I only really started last year. I'm not lifting particularly heavy but I am gradually increasing the loads. General fitness is much higher than it was a couple of years ago.

Some days hurt more than others, legs are causing a bit of grief today :o

Man of Honour
Right... routine is as follows:

It's a 4 week program so it goes wk1 / wk2 / wk3 / wk4 - with a couple of supersets thrown in for good measure ;) :D

Day 1:

A) Front squat (cluster sets): (4x2)x5 / (5x1)x5 / (4x1)x6 / 4x6 (5s eccentric)
B) DB Bulgarian Split Squats: 3x6 / 5x6 / 3x6 /
C1) Kettlebell swings: 3x10 / 3x10 / 3x10 / 3x10
C2) Hip Thrusts: 3x15 / 3x15 / 3x15 / 3x15
D) Dragon Flags: 3x6 / 3x6 / 4x6 / 2x6

Day 2:

A) Floor Press (cluster): (4x2)x5 / (5x1)x5 / (4x1)x6 / 4x6 (5s eccentric)
B) Weighted Chin ups: 4x5 / 3x6 / 6x3 / 3x5
C1) Inverted Row: 4x10 / 3x10 / 5x10 / 3x10
C2) Alternating DB Press: 3x8 / 3x8 / 5x8 / 2x6
D1) Prone Trap Raise: 3x12 / 3x12 / 3x12 / 3x12
D2) Prone Reverse Flies: 3x12 / 3x12 / 3x12 / 3x12

Day 3:

A) Trap Bar Deads: 5x5 / 4x5 / 6x5 / 3x5
B) Walking Lunges: 3x8 / 3x8 / 4x8 / 2x8
C) One legged RDL: 4x8 / 4x8 / 4x8 / 4x8
D1) Isometric Bulgarian split squat: 3x30s
D2) One legged physio ball curl: 3x8 / 3x6 / 5x8 / 2x8
E) Pallof Press: 3x12 / 3x12 / 4x12 / 3x12

Day 4 (conditioning):

A) Squat jumps: 2x6 / 2x6 / 2x6 / 2x6
B) Kneeling Jumps: 4x5 / 4x5 / 5x5 / 3x5
C1) One Arm DB Push Press: 4x6 / 3x5 / 6x5 / 3x5
C2) Medicine ball slams: 4x5 / 3x5 / 6x5 / 3x5
D) Cable external rotations: 3x10 / 3x10 / 3x10 / 3x10
E) Bottoms up KB walk: 4x return down gym length (approx 50m in total)

That's the next 4 weeks sorted. Then onto some low rep high weight work. Then... back to my first cycle.

Usual mobility and stretching work before and during off days.

Caporegime
Chest today

Bench:
1 x 10 x Bar
1 x 5 x 30KG
1 x 2 x 40KG
3 x 8 x 55KG

Surpised these went up to be fair...Couple of 'cheat' reps but hey ho. No shoulder pain as far as I could tell anyway.

Inc. DB Press:
3 x 8 x 15KG

Finding these difficult, couple more sessions and they'll go up nicely hopefully. Usualy shoulder problems stopping me.

French Press:
3 x 10 x 20KG

CGBP:
3 x 10 x 30KG
Last two reps of the third set was a challenge! :o

Flys:
2 x 10 x 10KG
Heh, cheated a tad on these I think :D So dropped the weight.

2 x 10 x 7.5KG

Finished off with 5 mins of rowing to kill myself. Nice

First Bench form check, some cheat reps, other two sets went up easier surprisingly:

Man of Honour
How much you lifting? Even on SL, you only do M W F due to constantly upping the weights.

Some decent weights. I can comfortably shoulder press 32kb dumbbells. I'm worried about cutting back as I fear that maybe it's the start of the end.. I know that sounds stupid, but what next year, just twice a week.. I realise I'm not the 25 year old i once was but at the same time want to hang in there.

You're just a youngster ;)

I can give you about 5 years and I only really started last year. I'm not lifting particularly heavy but I am gradually increasing the loads. General fitness is much higher than it was a couple of years ago.

Some days hurt more than others, legs are causing a bit of grief today :o

haha i wish :p

I'm more concerned that the repetitive strain after all these years is starting to take its toll. The doctors aren't very sympathetic toward weight lifters in general I can tell you. I'm not seeking medical advice of course, merely asking what is the expectancy of age.

My elbow went during skull crushers :(

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Delvis :) I thought you said flat bench ! :p
Couple of things.
1. Can't tell from the video but make sure your upper back is super tight and locked down.
2. Bar should come to the chest each rep, it will be made easier if your back is arched properly (can't see due to your t-shirt).
3. Deep breath in as your lower the weight and and feel the stretch as the bar comes down, explode up.

Man of Honour
You're not 44 so it's not really the same. Also doing a 50+hr a week job, plus cooking/housework/chores/etc... tends to mean you don't have time for decent rest - so 6x a week training ISN'T a good idea for most people. If you don't have to work, then yeah sure, 6x a week is fine. I don't buy the "over training" thing as for most people that isn't the case. However, you CAN overtrain, but it does require some work, but you can genuinely render yourself useless by over training. You grow and get stronger when you rest, fact. Also, generally during a deload week, people come back on the other side far stronger as a result of the reduced training and increased mobility work.

Associate
Tbh I train 6 days per week, lowish volume though. As long as your getting the food & sleep in really there's no issue. Overtraining is over-hyped.

Agreed, but something is not working right for him at the moment. He's older and may need longer to recover.

Caporegime
Delvis :) I thought you said flat bench ! :p
Couple of things.
1. Can't tell from the video but make sure your upper back is super tight and locked down.
2. Bar should come to the chest each rep, it will be made easier if your back is arched properly (can't see due to your t-shirt).
3. Deep breath in as your lower the weight and and feel the stretch as the bar comes down, explode up.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, if the bench is on the next seat setting im too far from the bar and don't feel comfortable, it's weird, and it's Marcy's first Bench I believe.

I'll explain the chest thing, it's my shoulder, any lower and it starts to hurt after a few reps, sadly this is the only way I can do it without walking off in agony each wednesday...Working on it though :)

Usually do the breathing in / out thing. Can't explode up any faster than that, that's getting towards my max for reps now :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom