*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Long term though, is it the way forwarD?
Hook grip is awesome if you don't mind killing a nerve ending or two in your thumbs. Seriously I'm not kidding, the reason it stops hurting after persistant use of the hook grip is the nerves actually die!

I'd consider myself a fairly serious lifter when I get into it, but I think that's going a bit far for a hobby. If entering comps, etc then fair enough.

Myself I'll stick to double overhand until my grip fails, which gets stronger every week, then I switch to mixed grip for the rest of the set. I also alternate the mixed grip on each rep for the sake of symmetry and balance :) All done of course with lashings of liquid chalk which is great and I don't think is inferior to normal chalk at all.

Last edited:
Associate
Hook grip is awesome if you don't mind killing a nerve ending or two in your thumbs. Seriously I'm not kidding, the reason it stops hurting after persistant use of the hook grip is the nerves actually die!

I'd consider myself a fairly serious lifter when I get into it, but I think that's going a bit far for a hobby. If entering comps, etc then fair enough.

Yeah, I hear this too. Maybe it's different for different people. I take my lifting fairly seriously, and I use hook-grip. It just doesn't feel all that hard-core to me, as the pain isn't that much. It does hurt and takes a few sessions to get accustomed too.

I think I've just got the "right" shaped thumbs. They're certainly not long thumbs, I think maybe the knuckle is in just the right place. I don't really know.

But the nerves in my thumbs seem perfectly fine. I know because I can do a neurological examination on them. :p Maybe after years of it things might be different. It wouldn't surprise me.

Another benefit is I don't really get callouses on the palms of my hands. I've got surprisingly tidy hands for someone that's been deadlifting gloveless for this long.

Soldato
~1.7 mile run. ankle didn't feel so comfortable today so i decided to turn round a bit short of where i was aiming for. 2 days in a row probably isn't ideal so i'll break 2 miles on monday :)

Man of Honour
Knee injury update: Just got home from surgery and Doc said it was a success, managed to get a large piece of cartilage out, that was flapping off of the hole, smoothed it all out. Now propped up on the couch being waited on by the wifey :D
Been sick of doing split upper body workouts for the past 2months, here's hoping in a couple of months time I can ease back in to lower body :)
Awesome news mate! :) Fingers crossed that you don't have to bicep boy forever ;)

Delvis those are looking much better, and despite being heavier they look more powerful. Good work.

Caporegime
Evil session tonight. My deficit deadlifts are finally taking their toll and I had to switch to a mixed grip for my last set which knackered my form. Speed bench caused my golfers elbow to flare up again and the shoulder press nailed my shoulders. Had to get help to lift the weights in to place for the third set and will have to have help for all 3 sets next week. Still a mile off unassisted GHR's :o

Deficit Deadlifts
105 x 5
122.5 x 5
140 x 5
157.5 x 5
175 x 5

Speed Bench press
97.5 x 8 x 3

GHR's
BW x 3 x 8

Dumbbell Shoulder Press
45's x 3 x 8

Wide Grip Pull Ups
BW x 6
BW x 5
BW x 4

Caporegime
agreed, you made those look like they were pretty easy to be honest.

True, they we're pretty easy...It was my grip causing the issues mainly :)...I say easy, I wasn't struggling to lock out for instance

Agreed. Not long til you hit triple digits Delvis :D

Hehe! Yep! For reps anyway ;) Did a couple of triple figure lifts before XMas, I'm hoping I've smashed my previous PB of 110KG by a few KG's :)

Same with Bench and Squat now, I'm 'close' to repping my previous PB's on them, so they should have gone up now!

Soldato
Just hit my first wall on 5x5 on a 42.5kg over head press, I managed 4 sets and 1 rep.
Hopefully will be able to push out the 5th set next week.

In the 7th week now (started with bar) and the weights are really starting to stack up, however my benchpress is still pathetic, I just cant seem to lift more than 65kgs (1 rep max). Any tips for pushing through?

Soldato
Just hit my first wall on 5x5 on a 42.5kg over head press, I managed 4 sets and 1 rep.

In the 7th week now (started with bar) and the weights are really starting to stack up, however my benchpress is still pathetic, I just cant seem to lift more than 65kgs (1 rep max). Any tips for pushing through?

just keep going doing the 5x5s until you cant any more. by week 13 or so you'll be repping 65kg and wondering what you were worried about

Caporegime

Just keep doing the 65kg reps matey, you'll eventually do several single reps, then turn them in to a set.

Soldato

Just keep at it and you will soon smash down that wall :). If you keep failing, then deload and keep adding weight back on.

Also if it happens after another deload, then just do 3x5 until you are happy and go back to 5x5 on that lift again.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Skipped nearly 2 weeks due to having some properly rotten luck and general things getting me down/too hectic. Felt guitly so instead of doing my stronglifts routine as normal I did all 5 exercises in 1 session :D

Ended up at:

5x5x60 Squats
5x5x30 OHP
5x5x50 BOR's
5x5x40 Bench (failed that the last time I tried it, mega chuffed!)
1x5x70 Deadlift

Pleased with that :)

Probably not realistically get back in the gym till tuesday due to awkward shifts at work but I might try Monday if time allows :)

Associate
Haven't been posting (as usual heh), but been reading the whole thing. Nice to see everyone progressing. Also liking how many people are on stronglifts. I'm not sure its working for me as well as you lot however due to the university lifestyle - too much drinking, not enough recovery when squatting 3x a week. Might switch back to an A/B routine with constant weight increments from the weights I'm using currently.

Currently on IF - finding it so easy to manage how much I eat, probably need to eat even more tbh, but looking a lot slimmer (and this is with a cheat every day/2 - if I have spare calories after hitting my protein macros).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/Rich739/ScreenShot2012-02-18at191208.png
Edit: the links a screenshot to my training spreadsheet documenting where I am. Didn't bother writing down any other exercises / information at first but am going to now so as to keep a proper log. I also foam roller before/after sessions as well as stretching and doing quick mobility work before squatting.

Caporegime
Well....Think I need to goto the docs...Had some lower back pain for almost two weeks now.

LatSpread-15212-2.jpg

It's roughly where that red dot is...And it doesn't feel muscular :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom