*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Going to start gyming this next week if all goes to plan.

Weight loss mainly, then leading into getting into better fitness.

Will be doing row machines? treadmill, bikes and swimming. Slightly daunting as ive never been to a gym before and dont know what to expect from it or the people inside it.

Add in some weights on a calorie deficit to spare the muscles!

Caporegime
lol...true...especially when the bench is the same :p

I'm going to be keeping it easy this week, ie short sessions, just compounds...Got a lot to do to the new house so would like to spend a good time this week doing that.

Caporegime
I am probably being dumb, but what? ^^

Also, gym 5 days out of 7 a week good for a first timer?

5 days? If weight orientated I wouldn't recommend it. I'm not hot on whats good for cardio but I'd have thought some rest in the middle would be good?

When we speak of a calorie deficit, we are referring to eating less calories than the body needs to maintain it's current form so to speak. I think reiyushin was suggesting to add in some form of a weights routine as well, so you don't just lose muscle mass.

Soldato
Was hoping for a 140k bench today, but 3 days of drinking from thurs/sat is going to no doubt going to affect it. :( Oh well, was worth it :p

May take today as rest and hit it hard tomorrow, am feeling like I've been hit by a train!

Amazing how 'deflated' you feel when not eating properly!

Soldato
72.5kg row?! What do you deadlift for reps? 70+ is a massive amount for a row, especially if it's not that difficult!

Deadlift is only up to 120kg for reps at the moment (Go up by 10kg a workout). Don't know why, just seemed a lot easier than before. Quite enjoying it doing it parallel :D.

Max ive done on bench is 82.5kg before I started the SL 5x5. So, slowly building it back up. Also, as Bench and Row is the same, its easier to pick up the weight from the bench and get it ready for rows.

Soldato
Maybe not quiet the correct place but didn't want to start another thread.

I am heading back to the gym today for the first time in a while. Lost some excess weight recently by eating sensibly so looking to improve fitness/tone up some now.

I am restricted on time however to potentially 2 maybe 3 times a week max and only about an hour at a time. Work, young family etc.

Can anyone advise a decent basic workout to fit in a hour.

Warmup - 5 mins
Bike 20 mins cardio?
Row - 10 mins?

When it comes to weights - I get a bit confused - roughtly how many "reps" and how many "sets" is normal.

I'm not looking to go crazy - just something that will be useful for the hour that i'm there.

I do a bit of cycling outside of gym etc and enjoy that but again time limited.

If it's any use height is 6'3" and weight just about 14st (down from 16st about 8 months ago).

Thanks in advance gents!

Soldato
Shorten SL to 3x5 and it should fit into your timeframe:

Warmup: 5mins
Weights:
3x5 - Squat (10mins)
3x5 - Bench (10mins) (Or spress 3x5)
1x5 - Deads (5mins) (Or pullups 3x10)

Treadmill: 20mins
Row: 10mins

Total 1 hour :) but consider maybe cutting 5mins from the treadmill or rower and stretch at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom