*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Oh definitely, both exercises definitely do work hand in hand. However my love for DLs are too great! :D

Good luck with it, you can adopt the smolov principle to all 3 disciplines really - it is hard work though. I'd be surprised if you're not able to add at least 10-20kg to your PB. :)

Soldato
Having just got back from my first ever back/biceps session, I can safely say that deadlifts are immense. I don't think I've done an exercise that uses so many muscles and feels so damn good before. I could've spent all session doing them.

On an unrelated note, how salty is turkey! I thought I'd have some turkey steaks as a post gym snack instead of chicken but realised they have stupid amounts of salt per 100g. Guess it's back to chicken breasts.

Associate
On an unrelated note, how salty is turkey! I thought I'd have some turkey steaks as a post gym snack instead of chicken but realised they have stupid amounts of salt per 100g. Guess it's back to chicken breasts.

Try to have whey powder post gym bud. Its absorbed quicker than solid foods. You need the fast absorbing protein in order to get to the muscles quicker

Man of Honour
Nah food's fine. :)

Sure a shake owing to the fact it's in power/liquid form will digest quicker, but eating is just as good. You won't go into catabolism if you don't eat within minutes of a workout. Besides, your body will spend 24-48hrs recovering from the session.

Man of Honour
Gluconeogenesis takes hours to kick in, and bear in mind that food isn't absorbed straight away in either case. Don;'t believe the hype that protein / nutrition shops are trying to push on you. Yes, eat as soon as you can after a work out, but you're not going to lose all your muscle within a few hours of training. Your body is constantly in an anabolic/catabolic balance depending on blood/sugar levels anyway - so as long as you're getting the nutrition, it really makes little odds. The only thing pre or peri workout supplements do is give you a bit more energy, help blood flow and improve O2 circulation. Amino acids can help to a certain extent to improve muscle performance by minimising fatigue.

As long as your anabolic state offsets the catabolic state of your body the net result = anabolism -> growth.

Soldato
I eat the post workout food easily within 30mins of finishing at the gym, usually around 15mins. Although I am considering getting whey powder purely for post workout convenience along with some ultra fine oats.

Soldato

Never noticed them being salty at all myself, was the packet not just pre-salted?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I take recovery xs straight after training, then having my dinner about 1hr 30 mins after training. Fast acting carbs + whey isolate + l-glutamine + creatine is a winning post-workout combo.

Associate
I eat the post workout food easily within 30mins of finishing at the gym, usually around 15mins. Although I am considering getting whey powder purely for post workout convenience along with some ultra fine oats.

Yeah, I don't always feel like eating post work-out and its a lot easier to just drink the protein. However 1 hour after training im starving, haha. I do go on a few bodybuilding forums but I avoid bodybuilding.com at all costs, lol

Man of Honour
Well they call it the golden hour. When most nutrition is absorbed post-work out

EDIT: Unflavoured whey is yuck but a lot cheaper than flavoured!
That's a bit of a myth. The vast majority of people believe it, but it isn't reflected in studies or the reality of people just using different feeding protocols.

I tend to consume several scoops of whey after the gym, but that's just so I don't need to worry about my macros so much after that.

Associate
That's a bit of a myth. The vast majority of people believe it, but it isn't reflected in studies or the reality of people just using different feeding protocols.

I tend to consume several scoops of whey after the gym, but that's just so I don't need to worry about my macros so much after that.

Yeah, a lot of people think training 5x a week is best as well, lol If your natural 3 days a week is more than enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom