*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I don't like to needlessly spread viral load to other gym goers. Though, I don't think I've been faced with the decision to go to the gym with a cold yet. I've only had a few colds, and they were usually in between training gaps. I don't stop training for sniffles and runny noses if that's what anyone is saying.

Permabanned
Yeah, I went for the Size and Strength bundle for £19.99.

Cracking price for the delivery, already use whey, oats and creatine so good to have the top ups. The other stuff will be nice to try out.

Associate
Might be a bit OTT, but it still works to be either 3x5 or 5x5 on pretty much all of the key muscle groups. I'd ideally like to integrate more compound exercises as progress but this should do for something to start with.

Critique if you wish.

Upper body workout:

3x5 Incline dumbbell press
2x5 Cable crossovers
3x5 EZ-Bar curl
2x5 Concentration curl
3x5 Benched wrist curl
3x5 Ab-roll
2x5 Diagonal Ab-roll
3x5 Face pull
2x5 Reverse flye
3x5 Triceps pushdown
2x5 Cable rope overhead triceps extension
3x5 S.Machine shrug
[Need something for back&lats]

Still yet to put a lower body routine together.

Last edited:
Associate
Tried to keep my knees out but really struggling, and my backs all over the show on squats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i5K_sV16sQ

I spent a good 20-30mins stretching everything before but my legs, hips are so tight it didn't seem to make much difference. Any pointers/stretches I should be concentrating on, or is it just a case of stretch, stretch and stretch some more. Am going to get a resistance band once I get paid and start doing the exercises in the mobility thread each day to try and loosen things up.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Need to widen your stance :)
Keep hitting the stretches, they will pay off.

Might be a bit OTT, but it still works to be either 3x5 or 5x5 on pretty much all of the key muscle groups. I'd ideally like to integrate more compound exercises as progress but this should do for something to start with.

Critique if you wish.

Upper body workout:

3x5 Incline dumbbell press (Chest)
2x5 Cable crossovers (Chest)
3x5 EZ-Bar curl (Bicep)
2x5 Concentration curl (Bicep)
3x5 Benched wrist curl (Forearm)
3x5 Ab-rolls (Ab)
2x5 Diagonal Ab-rolls (Oblique)
3x5 Face pulls (Shoulder)
2x5 Reverse flyes (Shoulder)
3x5 Triceps pushdown (Tricep)
2x5 Cable rope overhead triceps extension (Tricep)
3x5 S.Machine shrugs (trap)

Chest - add in bench press.
Biceps - wouldn't bother with low rep bicep work, 10 reps is a good number to hit. Chin ups will hit your biceps nicely too.
Forearm - drop these, you'll get good fore arms from lifting (deadlifts/pulls/hanging raises)
Shoulder - missing pressing movements. Military press is needed.
Tricep - dips are win for triceps and chest. Close grip bench press is excellent too.
Trap - not a fan of direct trap work.
Abzzz - hanging leg raises, plank, lying leg raises.
back - Deadlift, BOR or Seated Row, pull ups/pull downs.
legs - squat, RDL, lunges, calf raises.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Yea hamstrings are fun, I've been using a band - lying on my back I hook the band round my foot and pull my leg towards my body with a slight bend in the knee.

For squat form watch some videos by some knowledgeable coaches and you'll pick up a thing or 2. It takes a while but things will start to click and you'll improve.

Last edited:
Associate
Was in a lazy mood and didnt want to look for smaller plates, added 10kg onto my deadlift(still lifting small mind), pretty sure there is more in the tank however i'm very concious of form particularly in this exercise. Still pretty chuffed! and form was quite good

Man of Honour
Djeez, you make one typo around here........ :p :D
;)

Critique if you wish.

Upper body workout:

3x5 Incline dumbbell press
2x5 Cable crossovers
3x5 EZ-Bar curl
2x5 Concentration curl
3x5 Benched wrist curl
3x5 Ab-roll
2x5 Diagonal Ab-roll
3x5 Face pull
2x5 Reverse flye
3x5 Triceps pushdown
2x5 Cable rope overhead triceps extension
3x5 S.Machine shrug

That is dreadful. Again, USE A PRE-EXISTING ROUTINE. You are making some very basic mistakes with your routine organisation.

Some constructive feedback, so I don't just come across as angry :)

Low repetitions (reps) are not suited to all exercises. They are only really suited to exercises that use multiple joints, also known as compound exercises. Things like bicep and tricep isolation need more reps to be effective. You also really don't need all of the isolation exercises that you've got, you're doing far more arm isolation (conc. curl, wrist curl, tri. pushdown, overhead tri extension) than pushing compounds (inc DB press...). Wrist curls are also a waste of time, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I could go on, but I'd basically be giving you a routine, which you haven't asked for.

Have a read through this (the initial posts by Gordy):
GordyR's Beginners Guide to Bodybuilding
Tried to keep my knees out but really struggling, and my backs all over the show on squats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i5K_sV16sQ

I spent a good 20-30mins stretching everything before but my legs, hips are so tight it didn't seem to make much difference. Any pointers/stretches I should be concentrating on, or is it just a case of stretch, stretch and stretch some more. Am going to get a resistance band once I get paid and start doing the exercises in the mobility thread each day to try and loosen things up.
Still not great mate.

Knee mechanics are better, but not fixed. Use this post as a reference: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=19584971&postcount=68

... and really smash the hamstring and medial hamstring work. Be very careful with what your feet are doing, the fact that they rotate inwards like that means you're really tight in your hips all the way down to your lower leg. It also looks like you could be flat footed, so have a read of this stuff.

Tonight's session!

Pretty positive all round:

Squats
bar x many
60x8
100x5
137.5x3x3

This in now effectively a speed squat session. Went beltless for the first 2 sets and was really focussing on depth. Belted up for my last set and had my hamstrings on my calfs! :) All quick as well.

HOWEVER, my belt's lever somehow broke in my bag :( I've managed to kind of Macgyver it back together but it won't hold for long. It's not been a year since I bought it so I should be able to get it replaced.

Bench
bar x many
60x8
80x3
90x1
100x1 really fast!
110x1 as fast if not faster!
110x1 still good

Didn't have a spotter to give me a hand off, so I'm pretty pleased.

Deads
100x5
140x3
165x3x3 fast, easy, sexy

CGBP
90x8, 5, 5 decided not to do too much volume. I'll take the weight up and do 3x5 next time

Arnold press - head and whole back pressed against back rest and chin tucked
24x10x3

Floor press - never tried these before, but I really like them. Tricky to set up without a spotter though.
30x5x3

"Full can" lateral cable raise 30 degrees forwards (second half of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Roe5aLMpjRE) - awesome exercise! Good supraspinatus activation
12x3

Facepull - very little rest after previous exercise
15x2

DB shrug with 1 sec iso hold at the top of each rep, shoulders back chin tucked - wasn't sure how my grip would be, but wasn't a problem at all :eek:
40 each hand x 10
44 each hand x 10
50 each hand x 12 :eek: a bit easy

Tricep cable pushdown
12x3

Something in this combination of exercises has roasted my scapula adductors, good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom