STOP THE PRESS!

Sigma has been to the gym! :eek:

BB BOR
DB Chest press
Negative chins
Squats
Rope pull downs
2 sets of curlz

Nice way to ease myself back in, don't appear to have lost much strength so am getting straight back into the swing of things.

Not sure when I can make it in next but it's looking like Monday at the earliest so it might just have to be a session at home again. The main thing is that I don't stop.

Soldato
Missed gym on monday due to workload so had to catch up on start of week 3 on SL

3 x 5 reps @ 37.5 kg squat
3 x 5 reps @ 27.5 kg benchpress
3 x 5 reps @ 27.5 kg overhead press
3 x 5 reps @ 37.5 kg barbell row
1 x 5 reps @ 55 kg deadlift.

The overhead press is awful - i've always struggled with this in the past - managed today but was a struggle. Need to work on this as I feel that I am to far "infront" of my shoulders with the weight and not directly above them but can't seem to get my head out the way etc. Any good videos of this??

On a positive side - 3lbs of in first 2 weeks, and loads of comments about looking slimmer and fitter etc!

Soldato
On a positive side - 3lbs of in first 2 weeks, and loads of comments about looking slimmer and fitter etc!

Great stuff :) this is what gives you the motivation to keep going at it!
Regards to the OHP, watch some videos and keep at it. It is not an easy exercise just to go straight in to. Try lowering the weight to start with and doing higher reps to get the feel of the motion necessary. Once your shoulders build up some strength (and your core) this will become more of a natural exercise.

Associate

Well done mate, it's always better to have others notice and pass comment :)

Are you incorporating any cardio with your SL schedule, on the days your not lifting etc?

Associate
Allo allo! :D
Glad to hear you're better! :)
Take it easy and you never know what might happen with your recovery.

I'm looking for a decent belt, I found this on amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leather-Pow...sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1331127973&sr=1-1
which looks shockingly similar to this:
http://www.pullum-sports.co.uk/acce...ede-duel-prong-powerlifting-belt/prod_24.html

I'm never going to compete, but would like something that is decent/safe and if doesn't take a ridiculous amount of space in my backpack it would be a nice bonus as well. I haven't gone for 1rm's in a while but i should be able to get a 170kg squat and 220kg deadlift without a belt, so the extra support should come in hand in pushing past those.

Is there anything half decent out there around £30 that's worth getting?

If I can find the mother-of-all that will last me a lifetime I can spend up to £40-50 as well but seeing as I'll never actually compete I think it would be a waste.

Soldato
Well done mate, it's always better to have others notice and pass comment :)

Are you incorporating any cardio with your SL schedule, on the days your not lifting etc?

Cheers.

I have been doing some cardio at the end of the SL in the gym (15/20 mins on the bike etc ) but today because I was a day missing from monday (and had to catch up) with the SL program I didn't do anything.

Outwith the SL (mon,wed and friday) I am trying to get out on my bike and play golf on a saturday so some cardio in there.

"Spare time" is a hard thing to come by with work, family, 2 kids, etc!!:D

I certainly improved my diet overall, was never bad, but cut out the rubbish and I'm drinking loads of water which is a good help.

Associate
I certainly improved my diet overall, was never bad, but cut out the rubbish and I'm drinking loads of water which is a good help.

Agreed! I'm drinking substantially more water than I normally do, even if I'm not thristy I'm gulping it down - it's a great help for improving concentration. That and a generally healthier diet certainly makes you feel a better human being :p

Soldato
Missed gym on monday due to workload so had to catch up on start of week 3 on SL

3 x 5 reps @ 37.5 kg squat
3 x 5 reps @ 27.5 kg benchpress
3 x 5 reps @ 27.5 kg overhead press
3 x 5 reps @ 37.5 kg barbell row
1 x 5 reps @ 55 kg deadlift.

The overhead press is awful - i've always struggled with this in the past - managed today but was a struggle. Need to work on this as I feel that I am to far "infront" of my shoulders with the weight and not directly above them but can't seem to get my head out the way etc. Any good videos of this??

I'm amazed that you can OHP the same as you bench, my ratio is probably about 1/2 or 5/8's of what I BP for working sets!

Soldato
Hello chap :)

Good to see things are progressing, just take it easy buddy, no point rushing these kind of things.

I've currently got a bad lower back at the moment...2nd week of not training...Hopefully get back on it soon :)

All the best man! Keep us all posted

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leather-Pow...sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1331127973&sr=1-1
http://www.pullum-sports.co.uk/acce...ede-duel-prong-powerlifting-belt/prod_24.html

I'm never going to compete, but would like something that is decent/safe and if doesn't take a ridiculous amount of space in my backpack it would be a nice bonus as well. I haven't gone for 1rm's in a while but i should be able to get a 170kg squat and 220kg deadlift without a belt, so the extra support should come in hand in pushing past those.

If I can find the mother-of-all that will last me a lifetime I can spend up to £40-50 as well but seeing as I'll never actually compete I think it would be a waste.

Thanks lads, it's going to be hard getting healthy again. I've lost basically all my strength and I'll just be doing light fitness stuff for months and months it seems.

On the note of the belt, I own the Pallum-sports one and it's an ok belt. Although I popped out one of the studs the first day I used it for squatting.

So go for the cheapest one I'd say. They certainly do make you feel more secure and safe and my surgeon and doctor said once I get back to weights I'll be wearing my belt all the time. Although the said I'll be doing "toning" weights for the first few months.

Nice to see you back Nightmare, and glad that there is progress! :)

Thanks mate, the progress is slow though.

To think it's all mostly due to one misdiagnoses :(

It's going to feel odd getting back to "normal".

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Can you guys take a look at my work out and see if you can recommend a way to switch it up, im looking to develop my arms and chest more.

This is the Insanity upperbody weight training routine. I love it but i need more.

I want to keep the cardio part in because it really helps me out when on my bike and need to push trough the barrier

I do this 3 usually times a week and cardio other days,
The reps are first at 12 reps, then 10, then 8, each time increasing the weight .

360 Shoulder Presses
Pulse Bicep Curls
In-Out Abs w/Tricep Push-ups
Floor Sprints
30-45 second rest after each set.
2 min rest after final set

Same reps 12,10,8
Squat Bicep Curls
Fly machine
Elevated Tricep Dips
Power Jumps

Same reps 12,10,8
Full Rotation Flys
Push up w/Front Raise
High Knees w/Twist

Same reps 12,10,8
Full Rotation Flys
Push up w/Front Raise
High Knees w/Twist 30 sec, 20 sec, 15 secs

Same reps 12,10,8
Dumbbell Chest Press Leg Raise
Bent Over Rows into flys
Ski Abs, sets of 20, 15, 20

Cool down stretch
Those are just circuits, which are fine, but it seems you've been sucked in by the marketing a bit.

Circuits are not a good way of building muscle.

Also, you actually want to build more than your chest and arms. This is a common newbie mistake, but the looks you aspire to have well rounded physiques.
I get visions of him sat in a gym literally 'planking' on a gym mat :p

I don't do any core work, yet still have abs/obliques/serratus (w/e they're called), I put it down to;

- OHP
- Deadlift
- Pullups

Probably some genetics in there too..they are there, not necessarily strikingly obvious give nmy current BF% :p
This is only partially true. For years I didn't do any direct core work and just relied on lifting big. But your performance is limited by the integrity of your core, and it doesn't get worked fully by just lifting.

Planks, along with anti-rotation stuff, is actually enough. Provided you do them properly and are able to move well the rest of the time too.
Need to work on my core, think it's one reason my back screwed up in the first place.
No **** Sherlock! The progressions of your rehab programme involved a lot of core work.

Man of Honour
Allo allo! :D
SNIP
Welcome back mate!

Good luck with the continued recovery :)
STOP THE PRESS!

Sigma has been to the gym! :eek:

BB BOR
DB Chest press
Negative chins
Squats
Rope pull downs
2 sets of curlz

Nice way to ease myself back in, don't appear to have lost much strength so am getting straight back into the swing of things.

Not sure when I can make it in next but it's looking like Monday at the earliest so it might just have to be a session at home again. The main thing is that I don't stop.
Nice work!

A session at home is ok if you really can't get in, but consistency is paramount when it comes to the gym.

At a guess I'd say that is the thinner (<10mm) version of the pullum belt. It will do you fine, it'll just be less stiff.

Man of Honour
Which is what i'm doing :)

I used to do planks, but nothing else directly. Going to implement some core stuff on to shoulder days more than likely.
You need to tell me what your doing and how it feels or I'm not going to be able to give you any progressions.

Caporegime
You need to tell me what your doing and how it feels or I'm not going to be able to give you any progressions.

Aye I know. Will update my thread soon matey :)

Been so busy the past two weeks preparing houses and moving stuff to and fro I've not had the time...That along with my back at the moment it's not helping. (feels like hips have got excess 'tilt' or something, damn annoying)

Thank you for everything you have suggested so far.

Soldato
I'm amazed that you can OHP the same as you bench, my ratio is probably about 1/2 or 5/8's of what I BP for working sets!

i'm just working the 12 week SL program and doing the weights as set out in the spreadsheet.

I can see me hitting a wall with the OHP very quickly whereas the benchpress is fine so far at that weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom