*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Been back in the gym the last few weeks. I'm up to:

Squat 5x5 135kg
Deadlift 5x5 135kg
Bench Press 5x5 67.5kg

Deadlift is feeling strong - I haven't used this much volume before. Bench is still horrible.

Soldato
This is what pushing to that "next level" feels like...

That or I'm overtraining :p

Short and sweet today

Warmup - 12kph jog - 5mins
Work - 30sec intervals at 20khp with 60s rest at 6kph
Planking - 3x3mins
Stretching

Done :)

Tomorrow is Oly day....speed, I am speed.

Soldato
This is what pushing to that "next level" feels like...

That or I'm overtraining :p

Short and sweet today

Warmup - 12kph jog - 5mins
Work - 30sec intervals at 20khp with 60s rest at 6kph
Planking - 3x3mins
Stretching

Done :)

Tomorrow is Oly day....speed, I am speed.

Cue Ice "If it doesnt hurt after 30 seconds, you arent tensing enough" :p. Were they basic planks or one legged etc?

Man of Honour
:p

But yes, planking should be an active exercise. You shouldn't just rest passively on your tissues, you should be engaging your anterior core and glutes maximally and rotating your hips up towards your head.

Caporegime
¬_¬

I meant figure/bikini IFBB girls

I'm not that fussed about them tbh. Those girls have less body fat than the "size 0" models we often dub anorexic or just plain unhealthy. Forget trying to have kids with any of them - ovaries will be dried up. Everyone of them has breast implants, else they'd have fried egg boobs.

They do look good, but under the skin they are awful. :) Even naked they don't look particularly desirable. Yes, I do mean what's under the bikini. I'm sure you know what I mean. :)

Soldato
Cue Ice "If it doesnt hurt after 30 seconds, you arent tensing enough" :p. Were they basic planks or one legged etc?

Planked the first, pushup planked the second and planked the third.

If you can do a (decent/proper) plank for 3 mins i would be very very very very impressed

It was a challenge I set my motocross riders last September :D

:p

But yes, planking should be an active exercise. You shouldn't just rest passively on your tissues, you should be engaging your anterior core and glutes maximally and rotating your hips up towards your head.

I tend to increase strain by increasing the distance between my elbows/hands and feet. I like the sound of hip rotation though, will try it :)

Associate
Could someone explain please?

My understanding of SL is to build strength.. low reps, incremental increase each week and you progressively get stronger etc.

But when someone is on a routine to build mass, is that purely aesthetic or something to combine with the strength you've built in order to do more reps of those higher weights?

Soldato
heck! I was just about ready to get back to the gym tomorrow after having a weeks recooperation for a strained wrist and now I've strained and twisted my ankle, knee and hip taking the dog for a walk. I was lying flat in a puddle of mud etc for ten mins before I was able to move lol: and then limped home before heading for the hospital. :(

Permabanned
heck! I was just about ready to get back to the gym tomorrow after having a weeks recooperation for a strained wrist and now I've strained and twisted my ankle, knee and hip taking the dog for a walk. I was lying flat in a puddle of mud etc for ten mins before I was able to move lol: and then limped home before heading for the hospital. :(

How on earth can you sustain an injury like that doing what you were doing? I train 4 sessions a week and play 3 hours of squash one of the most high intensity sports going and ive never once put myself out of training, are you made of tissue and pixies?

Soldato
How on earth can you sustain an injury like that doing what you were doing? I train 4 sessions a week and play 3 hours of squash one of the most high intensity sports going and ive never once put myself out of training, are you made of tissue and pixies?

I did taekwondo for ~4 years, been snowboarding/skiing for 5 and gym 3-4 times a week with no real injuries yet i broke a wrist and ankle with simple falls playing football. **** happens

Soldato
Hehe: i take it you don't mean the sprained wrist.
Simple really. Coming down an embankment, no grip on shoes, wet mud and a dog pulling on its lead. What amazed me was the two shoppers who just stood there gawping at me before they entered their house.
The ankle along with the hip is settling down now: it's just the knee thats giving me jip as it twisted on the inside as I was going down. I'll be in the gym doing upper body on saturday (bending barbells) if able to bend my knee first?
Pft: Tissues and pixies: Mansized I'll have you know :D

Last edited:
Associate
At a guess I'd say that is the thinner (<10mm) version of the pullum belt. It will do you fine, it'll just be less stiff.

No, it's 10mm. It actually says on the site that it's 1cm. £60 for a standard double pronged lifting belt is ****ing ridiculous. Pullums is almost universally a rip-off. For £60 you could find a damn lever belt somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom