*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Guys, i need some help with leg extensions.

I have no trouble pushing the weight up, but trying to bring it back down smoothly makes my legs shake really bad. It's as if the weight is too much for me, but i dont think that can be right.

I can smoothly push up 50-60k for 3*10 with no problems, yet i cant even do 1 controlled negative of 10k. It doesnt feel like it's too heavy when i'm bringing it down either, i just shake uncontrollably and rattle the whole machine (and get a lot of disapproving looks :()

Am i doing something wrong?

Last edited:
Soldato
Just had a quick read in this thread and my main question is, how do you guys manage to eat so much, especially in the morning ?

I'm a guy who has a hard time eating anything ( especially dry stuff) in the morning and it's a wonder if I can swallow even 1 egg and a small sandwich in the morning.

I've had a long time of not being able to gain weight: I'm 21 in 2 weeks, about 5'6'' and weighed 50-52 kg's in the past couple of years ( from 17 to 20), only in the past month I managed to get up to 55 kg's by watching my food a bit (was trying to eat 2 eggs every day at least and 2 pieces of fruit, in addition to all the crap I usually eat).

I want to gain weight to about 65 kg's, and make sure it's not fat but muscle I gain. Is it simply a matter of eating enough (especially proteins and carbohydrates) and exercise 2-3x per week, atm I do the upper body 1x per week and lower body 1x per week.

If so, do you have any hints on forcing myself to eat much more ? I'm the type of guy who forgets about eating completely if busy with something and also who has a hard time swallowing anything in the first 2-3 hours after getting up. There are days when I only eat 1 or 2 meals which are not nearly 2500 calories.

Last edited:
Soldato
Legs this morning

Squats:
20 x 40kg
12 x 60kg
8 x 80kg
Felt like more in the tank which is good. Target is to squat 100kg by end of year so on target.

Lunges:
Each leg 10 x 12kg
10 x 14kg
10 x 16kg
10 x 18kg

Leg Extension:
10 x 40kg
10 x 50kg
10 x 60kg

Hamstring Curl:
10 x 40kg
10 x 45kg
10 x 50kg

Missed shoulders yesterday so

Shoulder press:
15 x 10kg
10x 14kg
10 x 16kg
10x 18kg

Lateral Raises:
6kg to burnout

Front raises:
6kg to burnout.

Man of Honour
Good workout mate,

Only tip I'd have is do lunges at the very of legs, I see them as more a finisher exercise, especially as they take so much out of you in the lungs as well, it might affect any exercises you do after them

Also, if you have the energy to do another bodypart after doing legs, chances are, you didn't work legs hard enough ;)

Soldato
Managed 125kg x5 BP with a 6th rep spotted.

Next monday is the 150kg attempt, will go for;

60kgx12
100kgx5
120kgx3
135kgx1
143kgx1
150kgx1 (hopefully)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just had a quick read in this thread and my main question is, how do you guys manage to eat so much, especially in the morning ?

I'm a guy who has a hard time eating anything ( especially dry stuff) in the morning and it's a wonder if I can swallow even 1 egg and a small sandwich in the morning.

I've had a long time of not being able to gain weight: I'm 21 in 2 weeks, about 5'6'' and weighed 50-52 kg's in the past couple of years ( from 17 to 20), only in the past month I managed to get up to 55 kg's by watching my food a bit (was trying to eat 2 eggs every day at least and 2 pieces of fruit, in addition to all the crap I usually eat).

I want to gain weight to about 65 kg's, and make sure it's not fat but muscle I gain. Is it simply a matter of eating enough (especially proteins and carbohydrates) and exercise 2-3x per week, atm I do the upper body 1x per week and lower body 1x per week.

If so, do you have any hints on forcing myself to eat much more ? I'm the type of guy who forgets about eating completely if busy with something and also who has a hard time swallowing anything in the first 2-3 hours after getting up. There are days when I only eat 1 or 2 meals which are not nearly 2500 calories.

Merely getting used to it all really, chances are your stomach is 'small', eating more will eventually stretch it a bit, then the more exercise you do the more you will burn off - Which will lead to you eating more as well.

Do you drink tea in the morning or anything? As I feel this can 'bloat' me personally, and actually put my appetite off as my stomachs full of liquid.

It will come with time buddy!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
hrm you should be able to get 150.

125x5 works out at a 1RM of 140. For example I did 125x8 the week before my 1RM test, that works out at 155 which is what I got.

Good luck with the lift, make sure to get a video :)

Soldato
hrm you should be able to get 150.

125x5 works out at a 1RM of 140. For example I did 125x8 the week before my 1RM test, that works out at 155 which is what I got.

Good luck with the lift, make sure to get a video :)

Odd, as I did 143 a month ago!

Fingers crossed, will get myself psyched up to no end before attempting the lift.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I'm not saying Wendler's formula is perfect, but it's been pretty accurate for me. I could have perhaps got 160 if I had skipped 155, which would have made the formula out a bit, but it's never been out by too much. Will be good to see what you get. Also depends on form, my last 160 was pretty bad compared to my 155.

Soldato
Ye plenty of variables in formulas but they're always in the ballpark on any given day.

Raging due to my being woken up 3 days in a row >.< I need my recovery!

Might just gym today and not grapple tonight. Feeling worn and torn but who knows how the day will progress ^^

Soldato
Good workout mate,

Only tip I'd have is do lunges at the very of legs, I see them as more a finisher exercise, especially as they take so much out of you in the lungs as well, it might affect any exercises you do after them

Also, if you have the energy to do another bodypart after doing legs, chances are, you didn't work legs hard enough ;)

Good point, well made. However, shoulder press was an excuse to sit down, then stumbled as I got up to put the dumbells back, lol! I might be a bit of DOMS pain tomorrow so thankfully it's a lie in on rest day and I'll get to loosen the legs off with a 30+ miles out on the bike.

I need to email you to get some thoughts about my diet and some alterations I've had to make..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom