*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Think im being a bit to eager with my cardio!!

Currently Im doing 3 x (20mins cycling + 40mins powerwalk) and 3 x Full Body routines, with only wednesday of as rest.

On Sunday rather than doing my customary (20mins cycling + 40mins powerwalk), maybe I should give my legs a rest and go for a swim?

Does feel like Im cycling too much, especially when you factor in the leg press as part of the Full body which is 3 times a week.

Soldato
No, sorry that was just an example because they seem to pop up on the bay quite a lot.

I need some that go up to about 15 i guess,

Caporegime
I suppose I can call myself a gym rat, my wife complains that I'm obsessed with the gym, and get up at 5AM to go.

Today was squat day, I'm doing the 5/3/1 routine and this was week 2.

I'm 69kg, and trying to pack on the beef. I've put on about 9kgs in a few months, after losing 10kgs of fat after cutting down. I'm 6'2" so I'm looking to put on about another 10kgs, and then just try and maintain it. But I'm loving eating everything.

5x35kg, 5x45kg, 3x55kg, 3x65kg, 3x75kg, 3x85kg
5x10 back extensions at 45kg
5x10 leg press at 56.6kg
(should have done weighted sit-ups but had to leave to catch my bus to work)

Soldato
Week 4 begins of SL's (3x5)

10 min warm up and stretches

3 x 5 reps @ 42.5 squat
3 x 5 reps @ 30kg shoulder press
2 x 5 reps @ 60kg deadlift.

Was short of time today so no cardio and rack's were busy. a few core exercises to finish.

Did 2 sets of deadlifts at the end just to try and nail my form a bit better.

All still going ok so far. Squats starting to feel the 3rd set

Caporegime
I need to get some more dumbells, has anyone used this style before? Im not sure what the grips are like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bodypower...h_Training&hash=item1c1d2f4794#ht_2923wt_1185

ive got cast iron ones at the minute, but it drives me nuts keep changing the weights.

Got what looks like to be those exact ones in our gym.

There ok, much prefer the other ones they have though. Rounded ones. The gym I'm using just now is great though, they have two of every dumbell with either a thin or thick bar.

Man of Honour
I suppose I can call myself a gym rat, my wife complains that I'm obsessed with the gym, and get up at 5AM to go.

Today was squat day, I'm doing the 5/3/1 routine and this was week 2.

I'm 69kg, and trying to pack on the beef. I've put on about 9kgs in a few months, after losing 10kgs of fat after cutting down. I'm 6'2" so I'm looking to put on about another 10kgs, and then just try and maintain it. But I'm loving eating everything.

5x35kg, 5x45kg, 3x55kg, 3x65kg, 3x75kg, 3x85kg
5x10 back extensions at 45kg
5x10 leg press at 56.6kg
(should have done weighted sit-ups but had to leave to catch my bus to work)
You shouldn't be doing 531 if your main goal is to increase muscle mass.

As has been mentioned, don't do sit ups for your core. Try planks, side planks, reverse crunches, hanging leg raises, pallof press variations...

Caporegime
Brynn, are those first numbers your 5/3/1 squat? Did you only get 3 reps for the last 3+ set?

Don't do situps for core.

Yes, the first numbers are my squat.

I felt like my form was pretty shoddy on the last three reps, and it was a little bit uncomfortable on my knees. A little frustrated with myself, but I'm sure I will be fine for next weeks lifts.

Its maybe worth noting, I didn't hit the gym last week - so my 5+ set (which I managed 8 of) happened 2 weeks ago.

You shouldn't be doing 531 if your main goal is to increase muscle mass.

As has been mentioned, don't do sit ups for your core. Try planks, side planks, reverse crunches, hanging leg raises, pallof press variations...

Surely muscle mass = strength?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
No, it doesn't :)

531 isn't really a beginners routine either. If you're still struggling with form other routines would be a better for your progression.

Man of Honour
Surely muscle mass = strength?

To some extent

But you'll build mass far more quickly if you train for hypertrophy, than if you train for strength

That's why it annoys me immensely when people on here say "I'm bored of high reps, I'm going to train for strength" then 6 months later "Guys why am I not growing quickly enough, I can bench 200kg but I still have a pigeon chest"

Last edited:
Man of Honour
To some extent

But you'll build mass far more quickly if you train for hypertrophy, than if you train for strength

That's why it annoys me immensely when people on here say "I'm bored of high reps, I'm going to train for strength" then 6 months later "Guys why am I not growing quickly enough, I can bench 200kg but I still have a pigeon chest"
Precisely.

I had this conversation with a guy at the gym yesterday.

If you want to gain mass, train for it specifically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom